PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Pats crush Tebow - Make him roll right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pitt dared him to throw deep, and he did. He'll complete some passes but theres no way they let him complete 5 long passes like Pitt did. Hes not that accurate, I think he may be more accurate throwing it long.
They did a good job in the last three quarters of the first game.

Actually, Tebow has shown a lot of accuracy on the deep ball. His inaccurate passes tend to be short and intermediate. I would love for Tom Brady to be as accurate on his long passes (instead of just overthrowing the receiver most of the time (frustrated icon here) ).

Actually, Tebow has shown a lot of accuracy on the deep ball. His inaccurate passes tend to be short and intermediate. I would love for Tom Brady to be as accurate on his long passes (instead of just overthrowing the receiver most of the time (frustrated icon here) ).

:confused:

Tebow completed about 15% of his passes greater than 30 yards. Brady is typically around 28%. Brees who I believe is one of the most accurate is about 35% or so.

:confused:

Tebow completed about 15% of his passes greater than 30 yards. Brady is typically around 28%. Brees who I believe is one of the most accurate is about 35% or so.

Brady was 1 for 15 on passes of 30+ yards this season.

Which means what?

In his career he is 28%.

So either:
1. His accuracy has dramatically decreased this year.
2. His downfield options have dramatically decreased this year.

Given how much his attempts have also decreased I'm going with option #2. That still doesn't mean that Tebow is a more accurate downfield passer that Brady should emulate.

Again, if one wants Brady's downfield accuracy to improve, look at Brees not Tebow.

Which of the Patriots 14 shutdown cornerbacks is going to shut down Thomas?

I don't think the defense can shut him down. But they can certainly slow him down. Especially if Decker is out of the game. Put two guys on him at all times and make Tebow come off of his first read from the pocket. Again, this is another aspect of his game that he's struggled with since college

That's an eye opener.

One change we've seen post-Moss is that the ball doesn't have to travel nearly as far for a long pass play by NE (15 throws of 30+ this year vs. 30 in '07). Tebow (26) actually threw more 30+ balls this year than Brady. Could make an argument this makes Pats "deep" game less vulnerable to wind/winter than Denver.

Here are splits for more comparison if anyone wants to explore more:

Brady. Tebow.

Yeah.... for 316, against the Steelers. Brady had 170, and the previous high allowed by the Steelers was 289.

Apples and oranges. The Steelers sold out and loaded the box leaving their weak secondary in man coverage against Tebow in an attempt to stop the run. They didn't do that to Brady. The Steelers are the better defense between the two teams (Pitt and NE), but the Pats are more equipped to deal with a quarterback like Tebow and an offense like Denver. I saw it in college time and time again. If Tebow is going to beat us, it's going to be as a pocket passer.

Which means what?

In his career he is 28%.

So either:
1. His accuracy has dramatically decreased this year.
2. His downfield options have dramatically decreased this year.

Given how much his attempts have also decreased I'm going with option #2. That still doesn't mean that Tebow is a more accurate downfield passer that Brady should emulate.

Again, if one wants Brady's downfield accuracy to improve, look at Brees not Tebow.

Which means that your comparison was a poor one. If You're going to cite to Brady, choose something where he wasn't 1 for 15. Also, don't make excuses for Brady when you're not giving quarter for the other guy. Tebow had his best WR traded away from the team and had to rely on guys who were still developing.

I don't think the defense can shut him down. But they can certainly slow him down. Especially if Decker is out of the game. Put two guys on him at all times and make Tebow come off of his first read from the pocket. Again, this is another aspect of his game that he's struggled with since college

The Patriots can't play man coverage in the secondary. That's been established all season long. Is it theoretically possible that they could do the job this week? Sure. Is it likely based upon what we've seen all season?

Hell no.

Apples and oranges. The Steelers sold out and loaded the box leaving their weak secondary in man coverage against Tebow in an attempt to stop the run. They didn't do that to Brady. The Steelers are the better defense between the two teams (Pitt and NE), but the Pats are more equipped to deal with a quarterback like Tebow and an offense like Denver. I saw it in college time and time again. If Tebow is going to beat us, it's going to be as a pocket passer.

Tebow was beating the Patriots a few weeks ago before a trio of turnovers changed the game, and it wasn't as a pocket passer.

The Patriots can't play man coverage in the secondary. That's been established all season long. Is it theoretically possible that they could do the job this week? Sure. Is it likely based upon what we've seen all season?

Hell no.

You're aware, I'm sure, of my thoughts on the defense. That said, the Patriots played more man coverage after the first quarter against the Broncos to force Tebow (a quarterback whose accuracy has been a question for some time) to throw into tighter windows than what the zone offered. The results were good compared to how the secondary would have fared against a better passing team.

Tebow was beating the Patriots a few weeks ago before a trio of turnovers changed the game, and it wasn't as a pocket passer.

Actually, it was more the Denver running game that was beating the Pats a few weeks ago. No doubt the turnovers certainly helped, though.

Which means that your comparison was a poor one. If You're going to cite to Brady, choose something where he wasn't 1 for 15. Also, don't make excuses for Brady when you're not giving quarter for the other guy. Tebow had his best WR traded away from the team and had to rely on guys who were still developing.

You're cherry picking one year out of a ten year career. Looking at the career numbers you can see that this year is an aberration. Your stats are pretty much irrelevant, unless you think the .6% current year comp% is more indicative of Brady's current skill level then his career 28%.

And I wasn't the one citing Brady. Someone stated that wished Brady was as good a downfield passer as Tebow. My point was that Tebow isn't the one he should be emulating.

You're cherry picking one year out of a ten year career. Looking at the career numbers you can see that this year is an aberration. Your stats are pretty much irrelevant, unless you think the .6% current year comp% is more indicative of Brady's current skill level then his career 28%.

And I wasn't the one citing Brady. Someone stated that wished Brady was as good a downfield passer as Tebow. My point was that Tebow isn't the one he should be emulating.

Cherry picking? I chose the current year, which is the year we're using to evaluate Tebow. It's not as if I went back and said "See Brady in 2002" or something.

Your comparison was a poor one. Just let it go.

Cherry picking? I chose the current year, which is the year we're using to evaluate Tebow. It's not as if I went back and said "See Brady in 2002" or something.

Your comparison was a poor one. Just let it go.

I'll not let it go because your statistics are totally irrelevant to the question. The argument made was not that Tebow was a better downfield passer this year. It was that he was a better downfield passer period. Taking one segment of Brady's career statistics and somehow highlighting them as more meaningful then the rest without any justification is just plain garbage. So unless you can come back with some rationale as to why Brady's current year .6% is more indicative of his abilities then his career 28% then I suggest you you be the one to just let it go.

Actually, it was more the Denver running game that was beating the Pats a few weeks ago. No doubt the turnovers certainly helped, though.
Tebow was the Denver running game for most of the day...

Rushing: T. Tebow (DEN) - 12 CAR, 93 YDS, 2 TD

McGahee got injured in the first half and only ran two more times in the 3rd qtr before being benched.

Not saying the Pats wouldn't have won anyway, but with a healthy McGahee and without the turnovers it's a much closer game.

As has been pointed out, if both teams play well, NE wins. But if Denver can keep the running game going, limit Brady's opportunities, and get a couple of breaks, things could be different this time.

Last edited:

I'd argue that the turnovers and the change in momentum were the effect of a scheme change by the Patriots and not the catalyst for winning the game, although turnovers are always very helpful in that regard.

I also disagree with your apparent premise that if Tebow can dismantle the Steeler's #1 defense, then the Pats horrible D will get shredded. You conveniently forget about the game they played just a few weeks ago.

The steelers refused to adjust and used a bad gameplan. BB won't.

03a688f5-3a80-4f69-96c9-1ff2fc1e77a9.jpg

You guys should trust a Gator fan when he says that he knows how to defend Tim Tebow. And yes, I know Boston Boxter. I love those "I told you so" threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes