PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Much Is This Defensive Backfield Worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The defensive backfield has been awesome. The OPEN question is how much the patriots are willing to pay in 2017 and 2018 for Ryan, Harmon and Butler.

The team has to decide who to pay. Other than these 3, only Hightower commands real money. Paying five top defenders (add McCourty) may or may not be too many. I'd suggest that perhaps it is NOT too many.

I think the reason our DB's etc have been better this year is we are actually getting possibly a bit more pressure onto the QB, which is forcing quicker reads and more mistakes?

Butler you pay 10M or more. He is worth that amount.

Ryan you keep if you can. Ideally he is worth 5-6M if more we more on.

Harmon is a good player but i see him give up on plays that are not over too often.

We also have to take into consideration the teams and QBs we'll be facing next season

Away: Steelers, Bucs, Saints, Raiders, Broncos, Bills, Dolphins, Jets
Home: Texans, Panthers, Falcons, Chargers, Chiefs, Bills, Dolphins, Jets

The Patriots will face Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Derek Carr, and Ben Roethlisberger, all of whom rank in the top 12 of the NFL in passer rating. Ryan Tannehill should be healthy and he ranks 13th. Add in Chiefs QB Alex Smith and maybe even Bills QB Tyrod Taylor, if he returns, this means that over half of the Patriots opposing quarterbacks in 2017 should feature a current passer rating over the league average of 88.6 (Cam Newton and Philip Rivers had down years in 2016.... but they can easily pose a threat as well)

Ideally, Butler and Ryan are kept if the cost is right. Too bad Jordan Richards never panned out.

Butler you pay 10M or more. He is worth that amount.

Ryan you keep if you can. Ideally he is worth 5-6M if more we more on.

Harmon is a good player but i see him give up on plays that are not over too often.

Do you think if we let Harmon go, Jabrill Peppers could take that role or does he really need to work on his coverage skills?

Do you think if we let Harmon go, Jabrill Peppers could take that role or does he really need to work on his coverage skills?
You think the Pats would pick anywhere near where Jabril Peppers is drafted? I'm not sure that will be possible.

You think the Pats would pick anywhere near where Jabril Peppers is drafted? I'm not sure that will be possible.

I've seen a lot of mocks recently having him drop to around 28-32, ive even seen him in a mock coming to us.

I think he would be a hell of a chess piece

The defensive backfield has been awesome. The OPEN question is how much the patriots are willing to pay in 2017 and 2018 for Ryan, Harmon and Butler.

The team has to decide who to pay. Other than these 3, only Hightower commands real money. Paying five top defenders (add McCourty) may or may not be too many. I'd suggest that perhaps it is NOT too many.
Harmon and Ryan are not top pay guys.

I'd like to have Ryan back but I have a feeling he'll get $7-8 million per year on the open market and be gone.

Well then my answer to this is "a lot."
I'm basing this on your track record of drafting DBs.

I wonder what % of BB hitting on this the Rutgers boys (not McCourty) was pure scouting/talent/projection vs "good player but hey he's a Rutgers man!"?

Once they trade Garoppolo for 7 first rounders we will have plenty of chances to draft Peppers.

Well then my answer to this is "a lot."
I'm basing this on your track record of drafting DBs.

I wonder what % of BB hitting on this the Rutgers boys (not McCourty) was pure scouting/talent/projection vs "good player but hey he's a Rutgers man!"?

I know you're partially joking, but BB liked their defensive back coach from what I've heard. That would make sense, then, that he returns to the well. That same coach is now at Ohio State if I recall. They have several DBs projected to go first round this year. Coincidence? We'll see.

And Bennet
Butler 12.5
Ryan 5.5
Harmon 3.8

if we can only keep 2 of 3, which 2 do yall choose?

lets assume cost doesn't matter at the moment and deals make sense...Butler obviously, but then I think Ryan over Harmon

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes