PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much is a DT worth? Bucs sign Vita Vea to 4 year $73m deal, $42 m guaranteed

Vea played in the Nfccg and SB.
Yeah, you're right but he missed since early October, and he didn't start nor play a majority of the plays. By the way, go back and read my post: I wrote "sparingly." He played 1/3rd of the defensive snaps in the SB.

I really can't see how anyone can give Vea credit for all the sacks by the Bucs defense in that run-up. Maybe Suh gets credit, but whatever--Suh is a known quantity and his teams have surely regretted overpaying him over the years.

But here is what Vea did last year: Vita Vea Game by Game Stats and Performance | ESPN

How can you possibly give him credit? He's a great DT but to give him credit for those sacks? It doesn't fly. #1, because he was not playing until the last 2 games. And #2, even in the Super Bowl, the DEs (Barrett and JPP) played 3x as many snaps as Vea did.

Last edited:
My two cents is that he was the key to the Bucs Super Bowl run. When he came back from injury, their defense jelled, and it was [largely] the defense that won them the Super Bowl. What's strange this year is how awful their defense has been. Injuries have been killing them.
??

He played sparingly. He had one tackle all postseason, no sacks. He didn't even play in the first 2 playoff games.

In the Super Bowl, JPP and Barrett both played 3x as many plays as Vea did.

He's getting a lot of credit here--the key to the Super Bowl run? If you go back and look at the snap count (1/3 rd of the plays on defense), it just doesn't square.

I am not sure I disagree with your overall premise. However, the sentence bolded above is problematic.

Hightower has been virtually useless this year, but his value to what really matter (collecting rings) should never be dismissed.

His tackle of Lynch at the goal line prior to the Butler pick. His strip sack of Matt Ryan that made the comeback possible. Two rings are 99% likely gone without those two clutch plays alone. Those two plays alone should grant him legendary status for what he has given this team even if he was an average player otherwise. And he has hardly been average, this season notwithstanding.
He has been absolutely clutch without a doubt. It's like the question, would I take Michael Thomas over Julian Edelman? Not if I have to return 2 Super Bowl victories.

Great post

We are due to a MASSIVE upscale in salaries. For many, truly many reasons.

This year is going to be absolute massive for building our roster. I truly think 2023 is going to be insane. Lots of contract-heavy top guys, discrepancies in the market, are due to a decrease and rising stars will get to experience their first contract after the "covid-recession".

I fully expect 10M contracts to become the norm for even suboptimal players in every position. The WR market is one to watch this offseason, as pretty much everyone who got 10M plus underperformed. Will the market reajust?
Which is why I've been saying that if you think we overpaid for the FAs acquired this year, wait a minute.

Godchaux is 7 million, Mills 6.

Agholor is paid as a #2 WR.

Henry and Smith will be middle of the pack TEs in their prime in terms of salary within 2 years.

Which is why I've been saying that if you think we overpaid for the FAs acquired this year, wait a minute.

Henry and Smith will be middle of the pack TEs in their prime in terms of salary within 2 years.
Bourne's contract is a ridiculously low # given the scheme of things

On TEs, 100% agreed. Also on Mills, albeit i hope he improves in year 2.

Agholor Ill wait for next year to agree with you. I wanna see how the market for WR goes this year beforehand.

Godchaux SUCKS. dont @ me for this. I wont change my mind. Please.

"The Cap is Crap".... - some afternoon radio guy

And it's this kind of stuff that would make me crazy if I were a fan of another team.

Bill Belichick isn't going to pay a DT that much. CB, DE, QB, LT, these are the prime positions. And on other teams, WR. But you're paying up for DTs, LBs, RBs and Guards?
Bill Made Vince the highest NT in the game when he was here...

It's a lot of money to pay a DT for sure. They must believe that he's a difference maker.

Dunno, the Pats seem to make do with the GodChaux of the world. I think the only way the Pats get a dominant DT is through the draft. I think they lucked out with Barmore but he's more of a pocket-collapsing, put pressure on the pocket DT than a sit in the middle and occupy two blockers type of guy.

Tampa Bay can spend their money any way they like as long as they continue to win Superbowls, it will look justified.

Also, a guy like Vea is so valuable on short yardage and red zone.

I always thought that was Bill’s secret sauce on defense. Control the middle of the field with dominant interior guys who stuff the run and push the line. Get a shutdown corner. Now, when teams get close to the goal line, their options are slim. They can’t run on you, and they don’t have a mismatch WR/CB advantage. People called it “bend don’t break” but I always thought it was more about the personnel/cap decisions. There was often criticism about the lack of big time pass rushers, but those guys aren’t as important in RZ and short yardage.

It doesn’t have to be a DT either. A MLB or versatile OLB is essential too.
It IS the secret sauce to playing his preferred 3-4. He had it with Vince and Washington etc, and when Vince was gone we ended up playing a 4-3 for several years. He took a shot a Godchaux and missed. BTW I think he'd be more suited ast a 3-4 DE. than NT

The good news is UGa. happens to have a MASSIVE NT/DT named Davis if I recall correctly. He's a guy who COULD last until the mid-20's where the Pats are likely to pick. I saw him play against Bama the first time and was impressed though I like him go get off the ball faster, but that easily fixed. Just a matter of concentration. Watch for him tomorrow and think good thoughts and just maybe he'll wind up under our April Christmas tree.

Last edited:

And it's this kind of stuff that would make me crazy if I were a fan of another team.

Bill Belichick isn't going to pay a DT that much. CB, DE, QB, LT, these are the prime positions. And on other teams, WR. But you're paying up for DTs, LBs, RBs and Guards?

Depends upon the player. If it’s a young HOF caliber, like Wilfork was, then I think he would find a way to get it done. Short of that I agree.

This is a joke, right?

Chandler Jones is awesome. I'd rather have Jones 20x over what Hightower has given. Mankins? That was a big mistake.

I mean, Chandler was tossed because he was running around nude out of his mind in public. If not for that, he'd be here.

I'm wondering what you're smoking. You're out of your mind.

Disagree completely. Without Hightower they lose both the Seattle and Atlanta Super Bowls. Belichick calls him “ Mr. February.” Hightower is having a down season but he’s a better player than Jones is. Sacks aren’t everything.

Yeah, you're right but he missed since early October, and he didn't start nor play a majority of the plays. By the way, go back and read my post: I wrote "sparingly." He played 1/3rd of the defensive snaps in the SB.

I really can't see how anyone can give Vea credit for all the sacks by the Bucs defense in that run-up. Maybe Suh gets credit, but whatever--Suh is a known quantity and his teams have surely regretted overpaying him over the years.

But here is what Vea did last year: Vita Vea Game by Game Stats and Performance | ESPN

How can you possibly give him credit? He's a great DT but to give him credit for those sacks? It doesn't fly. #1, because he was not playing until the last 2 games. And #2, even in the Super Bowl, the DEs (Barrett and JPP) played 3x as many snaps as Vea did.
Have you watched many of Tampa's games?

Vea is one of those defensive players teams need to game plan for. He is definitely worth top dollar. I would be concerned about his durability long term though. He missed 2/3 of the season last year and, although he only missed one game this season, there were games where he clearly was less than 100% and wasn't the dominant force he usually is. But as long as he can stay healthy, he is one of the best interior linemen in the league.

I am guessing that this contract means that the Bucs are going to let some of their top free agents walk after this season. Even with his torn ACL, Godwin could draw top free agency money from someone. I don't know if the Bucs will franchise him when his availability for the start of the 2022 season is up in the air. Davis' stock has dropped with his injuries this year, but top CBs are so desired in this league that he could command top dollar too. If JPP doesn't opt to retire, he could look to cash in for is likely to be his last contract. He won't get a long term contract, but he could get decent sized money in a two year deal. But you gotta wonder if he will just retire with his age and his recent injury history.

I think they bring back Davis and both guys from the offensive line JPP isn’t coming back Tryon is already better than him he’s been replaced. I have no idea what’s gonna happen with Godwin especially with AB gone

Great player but after Brady retires at some point over the next two years, they are f*cked, with or without him.

Bill would love a guy like Vea but I predict that Barmore will be more impactful overall than Vea as soon as 2022, if he keeps his head on straight and continues to work diligently on his game, like he supposedly has done this year.

lol

I think they bring back Davis and both guys from the offensive line JPP isn’t coming back Tryon is already better than him he’s been replaced. I have no idea what’s gonna happen with Godwin especially with AB gone
Suh is probably gone too unless he comes back on a really cheap deal which he might as he loves playing with Brady. Pretty sure they will pay Godwin given he's coming off the ACL which will make his price pretty good.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back