PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

VrabelJr Pre-Combine Mock Draft - Berate me! ... DT Fletcher Cox, CB Chase Minnifield

Status
Not open for further replies.

VrabelJr

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
1. Indianapolis Colts - Andrew Luck QB Stanford
No brainer

2. Cleveland Browns (from St. Louis) - Robert Griffin III QB Baylor
St Louis doesn't want this pick. They have salary cap issues already from drafting high for so long. They could take Kalil here but Jason Smith probably gets one more year if he takes a pay cut. Getting some extra picks is worth it for St Louis who has holes in several areas. Cleveland grabs their QB on the future, a guy who can really wing it.

3. Minnesota Vikings - Matt Kalil OT USC
That Vikings line is getting old. They got their QB now it's time to get him some protection.

4. St Louis Rams (from Cleveland) - Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State
Rams need to at least show Bradford they are trying to help him be successful. A talented WR will do jus tthat.

5. Cincinnati Bengals (from Tampa Bay) - Trent Richardson RB Alabama
This is another pick I see ending up being a trade. Benson is spotty and Cinci has the picks to pull this off. Richardson, Green, and Dalton solidifies the franchises offense for the future.

6. Washington Redskins - Morris Claiborne CB LSU
For how good their front seven is, that secondary is awful. Buchanon is old and Hall isn't worth what he is paid. Shanahan would love to have comfort at CB again like he had in Denver with Champ Bailey.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars - Quinton Coples DT UNC
Their WR corp is pathetic and their OL has issues but Coples could be a franchise defensive player for them and he can play all over the D Line.

8. Miami Dolphins - Michael Brockers DT LSU
This is another team that is stacked with talent but couldn't put it together for some reason. Perfect spot to grab a raw but extremely talented DT for their new 4-3 front.

9. Carolina Panthers - Kendall Wright WR Baylor
The Panthers are kicking themselves now that Coples and Brockers are off the board. Newton needs another big time threat and Steve Smith is getting up there in age.

10. Buffalo Bills - Melvin Ingram DE South Carolina
The Bills made the switch to the 4-3 which makes sense given the talent of Williams and Dareus. They virtually have no DEs to play the 4-3 though and Ingram is that guy.

11. Kansas City Chiefs - David DeCastro G Stanford
This line is old and needs help badly at the inside positions. DeCastro can fill that spot and many think he will be a top 3 guard in the NFL in only a year or two.

12. Seattle Seahawks - Ryan Tannehill QB Texas A&M
Here's the annual surprise of the day every body. I see Seattle losing out in the free agency QB sweep stakes and they need a franchise QB badly. This is a good spot to try and get one.

13. Arizona Cardinals - Jonathan Martin OT Stanford
No doubt that the Cardinals could use an upgrade at Tackle. They can kick Levi Brown over to RT now.

14. Dallas Cowboys - Janoris Jenkins CB North Alabama
Jenkins has a troubled background but that doesn't mean anything to Jerry Jones. All he is looking for is talent and the Cowboys definitely need it at CB.

15. Philadelphia Eagles - Luke Kuechly LB BC
It's no secret that the Eagles weak spot on D was it's LBs. Kuechly adds a solid presence right in the middle to make teams think twice about running on Philly all day.

16. New York Jets - Dontari Poe NT Memphis
The Jets likely can't afford to keep Pouha. Poe is the only true NT in the 1st round.

17. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (from Cincinnati) - Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame
Mike Williams really regressed last year and Arrelious Benn is what he is. This will give Freeman a true #1 WR to work with.

18. San Diego Chargers - Courtney Upshaw DE/OLB Alabama
Shaun Phillips can't do it himself. Larry English was a huge miss. Upshaw gives them that Merriman like presence at OLB again.

19. Chicago Bears - Mike Adams OT Ohio State
The Bears finally give Cutler some protection from his turnstile OLine.

20. Tennessee Titans - Devon Still DT Penn State
The Titans could go DE here but I think they will give Derrick Morgan another year. They need an upgrade at DT and Still can bring a mean streak inside for them.

21. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (from Cincinnati) - Lamar Miller RB Miami
Yeah, the Bucs could have had Richardson if they kept their pick but Miller will be a nice compliment to Blount. Miller can hit a homerun at any given moment.

22. St. Louis Rams (from Cleveland) - Riley Reiff OT Iowa
It's a surprise that Reiff falls so far but the Rams are happy. Jason Smith is either already gone or decided to take a pay cut. Reiff can help protect Bradford.

23. Detroit Lions - Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama
The Lions defense was pretty good last year but CB was the obvious hole. A guy with Kirkpatrick's size will help in the passing game and coming up to make tackles in the run game. Addressing Center is another possibility here but Kirkpatrick is too much of a physical specimen to pass up.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers - Kelechi Osemele OT Iowa State
With Hightower still on the board the Steelers are faced with quite the decision: fix their aging LB corp or protect the franchise QB? The Steelers OT play was less than spectacular last year and they can't seriously be thinking of keeping Starks around. Osemele is an athletic and has talent all along the offensive line.

25. Denver Broncos - Jerel Worthy DT Michigan State
The Broncos were putting together a decent defense but DT was lacking. Guys like Bunkey and McBean can't be your best DTs. Worthy gives them a much needed upgrade in talent.

26. Houston Texans - Cordy Glenn G Georgia
The Texans are sitting pretty with an all around stacked team. This affords them to take an immense talent in Cordy Glenn.

27. New England Patriots - Fletcher Cox DT Mississippi State
The Patriots are in a tough spot here. Grab a guy who can help out a lackluster DLine or take a huge value pick in a guy like Peter Konz? If they take Cox, Konz doesn't make it past Baltimore. If they take Konz, Cox doesn't make it past Green Bay. DT/DE is a more immediate need so the Pats take Cox.

28. Green Bay Packers - Peter Konz C Wisconsin
Konz has the ability to become a top 5 Center in the NFL almost immediately. He could go even go much higher if a team decides to use him as a Guard instead. Rodgers makes this line look a lot better than it actually is.

29. Baltimore Ravens - Donta Hightower ILB Alabama
The Ravens would rather address Center with Birk being old and possibly retiring. Hightower is a good pick for them as well though. He can eventually be Ray Lewis' successor and the versatility he can bring their front seven will be welcomed.

30. San Francisco 49ers - Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers
Alex Smith showed signs of growth under first year coach Jim Harbaugh. In the NFC title game it was obvious Smith needed another target in WR. Crabtree's days are numbered.

31. New England Patriots - Chase Minnifield CB Virginia
It seems weird to have two CBs from the same school in the backfield but that doesn't concern Belichick. Miniifield is a fantastic CB in a deep class of CBs. With how much the Patriots are in their sub packages, having 3 good CBs is a must. A pass rusher like Andre Branch or Whitney Mercilus could be taken here but there's still value for guys like that in the second round and BB isn't one to gamble early.

32. New York Giants - Vontaze Burfict MLB Arizona
He has attitude problems but he's an incredible talent. The Giants locker room has the leadership on the defensive side to keep this hothead in place. Blackburn was a stopgap for an injured LB corps. Burfict can fill that MLB spot and make plays.

Rip into me, boys. I know I can be pretty critical but now let's see how thick my skin is!

Last edited:
It's a pretty good mock. Here's where I differ - not ripping mind.

1) Fletcher Cox will go top 20 if not top 15. Will be this years JJ Watt.

2) Don't really like Minnifield in the first. Much better value on comparable CB's in the second if not third round. But if you think he's that good then the pick makes sense.

3) Bengals very rarely trade their first round pick. The fact that they've got two, I think, makes it even less likely. This is their opportunity to really add to an already vastly improved team.

4) If Vontaze Burfict is taken in the first round I'd be amazed. UDFA head on a third round talent.

Other than that, I can see most of those picks happening. Nice job.

11) Chiefs - The Chiefs O-line is actually pretty young outside of Center Casey Weigmann. If they go O-line, it's for a Center in Konz or an OT, not an OG. They've wanted to move Albert inside and this will be the year they are able to.

Jets - Pouha is 33. Not sure how much money he's actually going to be demanding, but it won't be so much that he'll break the bank. That being said, I could see Wrecks adding a partner for himself in the buffet lines..

Packers -Not sure why you are talking about Matt Birk and the Packers since Birk is on the Ravens.. The Packers do have an issue at center, though, since their starter is a UFA and the guy they were grooming, the Pats swiped last year in McDonald.

Overall- Pretty damn good.. A couple of picks could have been either way (Kirkpatrick instead of Jenkins)

It's a pretty good mock. Here's where I differ - not ripping mind.

1) Fletcher Cox will go top 20 if not top 15. Will be this years JJ Watt.

2) Don't really like Minnifield in the first. Much better value on comparable CB's in the second if not third round. But if you think he's that good then the pick makes sense.

I'm really afraid you're going to be right about Cox.

It depends on how Minnifield runs. If he puts up a better 40 and 3 cone than expected it might take the first round to get him. I'm pretty high on him.

Well for one would be thrilled with that first round since you picked 2 of my first 3 ideal players for the Pats. (in an ideal world I had Cox, Marcilus and Minnefield as the Pats first 3 picks I think however Manxman is right, unfortunately and Cox is going to shoot up the board, much like Watt did last season.

Good job

11) Chiefs - The Chiefs O-line is actually pretty young outside of Center Casey Weigmann. If they go O-line, it's for a Center in Konz or an OT, not an OG. They've wanted to move Albert inside and this will be the year they are able to.

Chiefs fans certainly think they could do with an upgrade at OG and they drafted their future OC last year in Hudson. I have the Chiefs taking DeCastro in my mocks because I think Scott Pioli will love the value in getting an elite quality player. RT's can be found later in the draft.

Chiefs fans certainly think they could do with an upgrade at OG and they drafted their future OC last year in Hudson. I have the Chiefs taking DeCastro in my mocks because I think Scott Pioli will love the value in getting an elite quality player. RT's can be found later in the draft.

Albert would be an instant upgrade at LG over Lilja. That's why I said they could use an upgrade at OT. They get a LT and move Albert into LG where he is better suited and you improve 2 positions.

No Barron or other safety in the 1st round? He certainly won't be getting a stock boost from the combine.

Albert would be an instant upgrade at LG over Lilja. That's why I said they could use an upgrade at OT. They get a LT and move Albert into LG where he is better suited and you improve 2 positions.

I agree Albert is much better at OG than OT. However replacing Barry Richardson as the starting ROT needs to be the Chiefs first pick. That guy was miserable as a pass protector.

I like the Cox pick. I also like Still. Once one of them goes off of the board. I wouldn't mind a trade up. I'm hoping Ras-I Dowling can play cb next year. Safety is a much bigger need IMO. Mark Barron would be my pick at 31. Might be able to get a decent olb prospect at 48 like Branch, Curry or Chandler Jones. Maybe Cam Johnson.

Jets - Pouha is 33. Not sure how much money he's actually going to be demanding, but it won't be so much that he'll break the bank. That being said, I could see Wrecks adding a partner for himself in the buffet lines..

Packers -Not sure why you are talking about Matt Birk and the Packers since Birk is on the Ravens.. The Packers do have an issue at center, though, since their starter is a UFA and the guy they were grooming, the Pats swiped last year in McDonald.

Overall- Pretty damn good.. A couple of picks could have been either way (Kirkpatrick instead of Jenkins)

Whoops that was a typo. When I filled it in I accidentally had the Packers and Ravens flipflopped. Fixed:)

Boo! You suck at this! How dare you even try!? (Hope that was what you were looking for..... :) )

Now, on to a couple of nits:

Chiefs would go tackle before guard, especially that high in the draft
Jets will keep Pouha, and won't take Poe that high
I don't see the Bucs spending a 1st on a RB when they've got Blount
Another first round CB for the Patriots?

Have a great day!

I was following along with your thinking right up to the Ingram selection ... I just don't think he is 1st round material. I am also thinking there is going to be a run on CB's and QB's in the first rd. With the new importance on a nickel defense (70% of the time), the need for CB's is greater. Mraginal prospects will get drafted at CB higher in the draft than they should because teams are desperate for the nickel corners. I think we may see 5-7 CB's in the 1st round and 3-5 QB's.

That is a bonus and a curse for the Pats. They need a CB, but better prospects may drop to them at 27 and 31. I think the Pats are more likely to package 2nd. 3rd and 4th round picks to move up in the 2nd round and secure a CB they like.

What would you think if the Pats only drafted 4 players in this draft?

I'd be a bit disappointed if we only drafted four players with how many pending free agents we currently have.

The Chiefs pick was the pick I probably spent the most time mulling over. Overall the Chiefs have a very talented team and they just underperformed/were injured last year. I have them taking DeCastro but could absolutely see them taking Martin instead. DeCastro is just more of a special talent at his respective position and I think Pioli goes for that value. Lock a position up for 5+ years and not have to think about it at all.

Another spot that was really interesting to me is the 27, 28, and 29 (Patriots, Packers, Ravens). You have three teams picking right near each other that have similar needs and front office values. I feel like all three of those teams have similar players on their radar at those spots. I wouldn't be surprised to see some leap frogging happen by the Packers or Ravens trading up to 26 to grab Konz, or Cox before we do.

Last edited:
Looking at the other teams in this mock draft one thing that jumped out at me was Tampa Bay. You have them using two picks on skill positions on offense in the first round, but in my opinion Greg Schiano is going to focus on the other side of the ball. Their defense was horrific last year; it couldn't stop a nosebleed.

The Bucs were dead last in points allowed, rushing yards allowed, and sacks; 31st in yards per pass attempt allowed and in yards per carry allowed; and 30th in total yards allowed. I just don't see any way that the new regime will be focusing more on offense than they will be on improving the defense.

The Chiefs pick was the pick I probably spent the most time mulling over. Overall the Chiefs have a very talented team and they just underperformed/were injured last year. I have them taking DeCastro but could absolutely see them taking Martin instead. DeCastro is just more of a special talent at his respective position and I think Pioli goes for that value. Lock a position up for 5+ years and not have to think about it at all.

Another spot that was really interesting to me is the 27, 28, and 29 (Patriots, Packers, Ravens). You have three teams picking right near each other that have similar needs and front office values. I feel like all three of those teams have similar players on their radar at those spots. I wouldn't be surprised to see some leap frogging happen by the Packers or Ravens trading up to 26 to grab Konz, or Cox before we do.

The Chiefs seem set at 3 of the 5 OL positions, with Asamoah, Hudson and Albert, and Lilja is much less of an issue than is Richardson. It seems to me that the question to ask for the draft is whether they keep Albert at LT or move him to the right side. Richardson's just not a starting OT.

Of course, time will tell.

Last edited:
Looking at the other teams in this mock draft one thing that jumped out at me was Tampa Bay. You have them using two picks on skill positions on offense in the first round, but in my opinion Greg Schiano is going to focus on the other side of the ball. Their defense was horrific last year; it couldn't stop a nosebleed.

The Bucs were dead last in points allowed, rushing yards allowed, and sacks; 31st in yards per pass attempt allowed and in yards per carry allowed; and 30th in total yards allowed. I just don't see any way that the new regime will be focusing more on offense than they will be on improving the defense.

The only thing I see Tampa Bay doing defensively in the 1st round is if they stay pat at #5 and draft Claiborne. They have already invested so much in their DLine (Clayborn, McCoy, Price, Bowers). Their LBs could use an upgrade but I don't think this years crop of 1st round LBs is the place to do it unless they really fall in love with Zach Brown. I see them addressing LB in FA or in later rounds.

Last edited:
The only thing I see Tampa Bay doing defensively in the 1st round is if they stay pat at #5 and draft Claiborne. They have already invested so much in their DLine (Clayborn, McCoy, Price, Bowers). Their LBs could use an upgrade but I don't think this years crop of 1st round LBs is the place to do it unless they really fall in love with Zach Brown. I see them addressing LB in FA or in later rounds.

I could see Tampa trading down with someone to make a LB pick like Kuechly that much more valuable.

Last edited:
The Chiefs seem set at 3 of the 5 OL positions, with Asamoah, Hudson and Albert, and Lilja is much less of an issue than is Richardson. It seems to me that the question to ask for the draft is whether they keep Albert at LT or move him to the right side. Richardson's just not a starting OT.

Of course, time will tell.

I'm with you on Lilja over Richardson. The Chiefs are just in a really weird (and fortunate) spot. If the Chiefs don't pick DeCastro I could really see DeCastro falling to the 20s potentially which completely ruins my mock :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3