PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do you view our AFC Rivals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

livinginthe past

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I think this is an especially poignant question this year, as quite a few of our rivals are in a state of flux - either trending upward (Texans), downward (Jets) or noticeable change in identity (Ravens).

Texans

Right now, they are the most balanced team in the AFC.

They emphasise the running game (although I do think Arian Fosters season is over-rated by many - 3.8 yards per carry is very average) but have plenty of weaponry to make the passing game work including a good QB and an elite WR.

The defense has shown the ability to be dominant, and they have the leagues standout performer so far in J.J. Watt.

What makes me wary of this team is their consistent failure in recent history to win when it really matters. They had plenty of opportunities to step up and beat the Colts, only to find some ludicrous ways to choke it away.

Right now, the Texans look great on paper - they still have ALOT to prove in terms of getting it done when the season gets down to the sharp end.

Ravens

The first thing you notice about the 2012 Ravens is their lack of dominating defense.

Relying so heavily on greats like Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs and Ed Reed is understandable - but has left them with something of a performance vacuum on that side of the ball.

Lewis is done for the year, and Suggs has returned amazingly quickly from a big injury - but has been a shadow of his former self.

The Ravens rank 25th in yardage condeded (the maligned Patriots rank 28th), the rush defense is giving up 4.0ypc and is ranked 27th (the Patriots are 10th).

The Ravens are 9th in points conceded - a pretty key stat i'll admit - but that is balanced by the fact they got to play the Browns twice already, the Chiefs and Oakland - some truly horrible offenses.

When matched up against the better offenses they have conceded 30 to the Patriots, and 43 to the Texans.

The Ravens are going to put alot more pressure on Flacco and the offense to make to the Superbowl.

Denver

Yes.

The Denver Mannings.

No doubt this has been a very successful comeback from Peyton this year - he leads with real authority.

He runs the Colts offense in Denver, and with weaponry like Demaryius Thomas he can be very successful with it.

The defense has a few playmakers, Champ Bailey, Von Miller and Dumervil - but they don't really have strength and depth across the board - they will be involved in a few more shootouts this year.

Who do you see as our main threats in the AFC?

How do you view their strengths/weakness - especially when compared to the Patriots?

Texans - We'll score 35+ on them, need the defense to play well and shut down Johnson.

Ravens - Tough to play in Baltimore. Getting lucky this year, but I'd rather be lucky than good at times.

Broncos - We seem to know how to beat their D. Obviously would prefer not to play Manning if given the option of the other QB's we're likely to see

Pittsburgh - Enigma until Roethlisberger gets back. Haven't looked like world beaters but have some pretty big injuries. Dangerous team when healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes