PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Can the Pats Stop the Ravens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the QB kept that ball it would have been a bootleg.
The unblocked player had contain. He wasn’t he reason the defense failed, the entire middle of the defense was.

I think I finally see your confusion.
Just stop and read this

I am saying WHEN YOU ARE OPTIONED AT , on those option plays only, the defense must have a rule of who takes QB and who takes RB. Against the old triple option you had to hand a plaster rim to the pitch man. Otherwise everyone converged on the qb because he has the ball. It’s TEAM DEFENSE. So there are option rules. The basic rule vs the old option was first man had an 2nd nan has pitch.
In Baltimore’s offense if you do not assign a player to ignore the RB on an option look then Jackson keeps and runs wild.
My suggestion is vs Baltimore first man has qb, with first man being the one they leave to option off of

if you run a play that isn’t an option it doesn’t matter what the player would have done if it wasn’t an option.
Running action away and countering back is not a play where option rules apply. Simply being unblocked does not mean you are being optioned. In the play you cited he was being trapped. But that player would never employ option rules.
In this case he has contain so he must play bootleg or reverse, which is 99% of the time what an offside edge player does.

so it sounds like you are arguing that if the optioned player takes ban on options they will run non option plays to exploit it. that makes no sense because he is only taking qb because it was an option. If it’s not an option he has normal responsibilities.

It seems like you think it’s impossible for a player to read a play wrong.

you don’t think it’s possible for a player to misidentify what the play is? E.g. he initially sees something that makes him think option but it’s something else?

It seems like you think it’s impossible for a player to read a play wrong.

you don’t think it’s possible for a player to misidentify what the play is? E.g. he initially sees something that makes him think option but it’s something else?
If you are unblocked against an option team and the handoff/keep is coming toward you then you add the player being optioned off of. No one can miss that read. You are looking directly at a ab who will either hand off to a player running toward your area of responsibility or keep it and run to where you vacated.
No you cannot mistake that for a handoff in the other direction.

the player being optioned has to make a choice. Against a running QB someone must be assigned to the keeper.

but let’s try something different.
I am saying that against this team the option rules should be unblocked has QB.
You think that’s wrong.
So what is your way of defending the option.

Can't wait for 49ers - Ravens tomorrow. Usually I watch Red Zone channel during non-Pats time slots but I think this game is gonna be on the whole time. Could be the best game of the regular season.

Part of me wants the 49ers to win, knock the Ravens down in the HFA race, and create a blueprint to beat them.

Part of me wants the Ravens to win so they get more overconfident before we (possibly) play them again in the postseason.

Hopefully Kendall Jenner trolling the end zone last Monday Night for football players was for Lamar Jackson. If they can get together, the Ravens are toast. There’s your blueprint.

Last edited:
-Attack the edges/perimeter of their defense.
-Sustain drives offensively.
-DO NOT/ Limit TO’s.

None of these are options.
They have nothing do with schemes to defend the option.
how would you defend the option?

ILB takes the dive and DE takes the QB. And you hit the QB on every option play until it becomes a pass play. And you mix it up. Sometimes a S in the box, then 2, then none. And so on.

Nice catch by Gesicki.

Another meh throw.

ILB takes the dive and DE takes the QB. And you hit the QB on every option play until it becomes a pass play. And you mix it up. Sometimes a S in the box, then 2, then none. And so on.
Thank you, some one gets it

The Ravens are like a superhero with one superpower. Find the kyptonite and the superhero becomes mortal. Up until today, the zone read has been their superpower and no o e has stopped it. I think Niners just showed the key to stopping the Ravens is to contain Lamar on the zone read by setting the edge and forcing the play up the middle.

Frankly, i have no idea why teams aren’t hitting Lamar every time they run that play. The outside defender should be instructed to never take the cheese and to always hit Lamar. You can’t get penalized for hitting a blocker on a running play.

Last edited:

Yeah, this is what I thought. On every play you see the DE crash in and tackle the RB who does not have the ball. Instead, he should allow the inside guys to do their job and he should hammer the QB.

The only thing I wondered is if with the new stupid NFL rules, you are never allowed to hit the QB - even if he has the ball.

The Ravens are like a superhero with one superpower. Find the kyptonite and the superhero becomes mortal. Up until today, the zone read has been their superpower and no o e has stopped it. I think Niners just showed the key to stopping the Ravens is to contain LLamar.

Frankly, i have no idea why teams aren’t hitting LLamar every time they run that play. The outside defender should be instructed to never take the cheese and to always hit LLamar. You can’t get penalized for hitting a blocker on a running play.

Who is LLamar? :confused:

I think Niners just showed the key to stopping the Ravens is to contain LLamar.

???

The 49ers were awful for most of the game against it. They didn't show anything that wasn't already known.

???

The 49ers were awful for most of the game against it. They didn't show anything that wasn't already known.

did you watch the second half? If the Pats scored 20 points in a game, this whole board would be filled with posts about how awful the offense is.

???

SF contained them for the most part. They were scoring in bunches...so 20 points is an admirable accomplishment.

The only thing I wondered is if with the new stupid NFL rules, you are never allowed to hit the QB - even if he has the ball.

Yup. Unnecessary roughness. These days, the QB has to be basically in a running posture (with or without the ball) before you can tee off on him.

did you watch the second half? If the Pats scored 20 points in a game, this whole board would be filled with posts about how awful the offense is.

I watched the entire game.

I didn't see anything the 49ers "showed" to anyone. THey did what everyone knows which is if you can win on an early down and get the Ravens into passing downs you have a good shot at stopping the offense because LJ is extremely inconsistent when he has to throw the ball.

SF contained them for the most part. They were scoring in bunches...so 20 points is an admirable accomplishment.

He said the 49ers "showed" the league some way to play the Ravens. Which is where my response comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News