PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How badly would they have beaten us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean this in the nicest way to our "guest poster"

The level of play has improved greatly in football. Players are bigger, faster, and stronger in this day and age.

The Patriots of the last 5 years are the best there ever was. Tom Brady will be considered the greatest QB in NFL history and Bill Belichick is moving in with the Big three coaches - Shula, Landry, and Lombardi.

Oh and by the way, I look forward to at least three more SB titles this decade for the New England Patriots.

What does our "guest poster" expect?

Bella*chick said:
Michael Irvin, is that you?

Damn you! You beat me to it, I had all kinds of Irvin jokes. :D

al fernandes said:
It is well understood and accepted in the football world that this is the age of mediocrity and within this understanding, the pats a a dynasty of sorts. A dynasty no doubt but one with a asterisk beside to denote the era of mediocity.

I know we do not compare to the great cowboy, 49er or steeler dynasties. Surely our best players, brady and rodney would be back ups on those great teams.

But my question is how badly would they have beaten us

I'll take your question seriously, tho I you're just trying to bait a reaction (you could have tried to be just a LITTLE subtle).

There's a general consensus among those who follow the NFL for a living that 1992 is a bright line dividing two eras (the Aikman teams straddled that line); so, the comparison you are making is difficult to evaluate.

There's also a consensus that the last ten years has brought a dramatic increase in the physical skills of O-line and D-line players (not just a matter of size, but of quickness and agility. In fact, there's probably not much of a difference in size between the eras). So, I think the O and D lines and LB's of today would stack up very nicely thank you against the O and D lines and LB's of the pre-cap era.

So, as for skill players. I think HOF calibre players could start in any era. Would Brady have started over Montana, or, like Steve Young, would he have had to wait his turn? Probably. I think any team from that era would have gladly had Adam Vinatieri kicking FG's. I think Corey Dillon in his prime would have started for those teams, tho he might not have seen as much playing time. Rodney Harrsion and Ty Law are also world class players who would have started in any era.

That's a far more serious answer than you were looking for, but what the heck.

Dallas' "Best" vs Pats "Best"

I would have to say that the first Cowboy S.B team was its best and the Pats last S.B. Team was its best so lets take a look at those 2 teams.

Here are the starters for those teams in their Super Bowls

New England Patriots Dallas Cowboys Edge
== Offense ==
Dan Koppen C Stepnoski, Mark C Even
Joe Andruzzi G Gesek, John G Pats
Stephen .Neal G Newton, Nate G Boys
Brandon Gorin T Tuinei, Mark T Boys
Matt Light T Williams, Erik T Boys
Dan Graham TE Novacek, Jay TE Boys
Deion Branch WR Harper, Alvin WR Pats
David Givens WR Irvin, Michael WR Boys
Corey Dillon RB Smith, Emmitt RB Boys
Patrick Pass FB Johnston, Daryl FB Boys
Tom Brady QB Aikman, Troy QB Even

== Defense ==
Vince Wilfork NT Casillas, Tony DT Even
Jarvis Green DE Maryland, Russell DT Boys
Richard Seymour DE Haley, Charles DE Even
Mike Vrabel OLB Tolbert, Tony DE Pats
W. McGinnest OLB Norton, Ken OLB Boys
Ted Johnson ILB Smith, Vinson OLB Pats
Tedy Bruschi ILB Jones, Robert MLB Pats
Randal Gay CB Brown, Larry CB Boys
Assante Samuel CB Smith, Kevin CB Even
Eugene Wilson FS Washington, James FS Pats
Rodney Harrison SS Everett, Thomas SS Pats

Even if you want to add Woodson as the Boys SS as he was the starter then you need to add Poole and Law to the Pats. That gives us the edge at all DB positions.

Overal the Boys had a better O-line, better skill positons (but not as much as you would think given that they had 3 potential HOFers). Pats had a better LB core and better DBs. D-line was a wash.

On one last note... The year the boys lost in the playoffs before they made the S.B. they went 12-4. One of the losses was to the BB lead Cleveland Browns.

mgcolby said:
Damn you! You beat me to it, I had all kinds of Irvin jokes. :D

By all means, please share! I'm always up for a good Irvin joke!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back