PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Houston Texans vs the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that a couple of members think Watt is over rated means about zero. We have people that STILL rue the day Brady took Bledsoe's spot. JJ Watt is argument proof. That will never stop people from making negative arguments.

Sometimes I think sports fans are total whack jobs.

I said over hyped and not over rated.

JJ makes a lot of plays. So does Jamie Collins and I dont have to see tv commercials showing that Charmin is Collins favorite brand of toilet paper.

The Pats deliberately went into a shell and ran the clock out when Jimmy got hurt.
I think the strategy for doing so was not only for the Miami game but also for the Texans. The Texans will have to look at pre-season games to get notes on Brissett. By all accounts, he might know a few more offensive plays then everyone has been led to believe.

Yeah, and frankly Brissett was accurate on nearly all of his passes, he just had a few drops at inopportune times (and the Thuney hold which killed a promising drive). They relied on Gostkowski to win it for them; usually that's a surefire strategy.

The odd way more and more news keeps trickling out about Garoppolo makes me think he very well might start Thursday.

The fact that NE didnt sign another QB is very telling.

Edelman could play QB but do you really want to move him from WR?

The fact that NE didnt sign another QB is very telling.

Edelman could play QB but do you really want to move him from WR?

Or Jimmy G. could be called upon if needed.

We DID have The GOAT but.....

Unless he was ruled out. I didn't hear anything on it.

I think the strategy for doing so was not only for the Miami game but also for the Texans. The Texans will have to look at pre-season games to get notes on Brissett. By all accounts, he might know a few more offensive plays then everyone has been led to believe.

Yup, McDaniels eased Brissett into the game with a lot of runs at first. If Brisett plays, I believe we will see he playbook open up.

Yup, McDaniels eased Brissett into the game with a lot of runs at first. If Brisett plays, I believe we will see he playbook open up.

Yup! I mentioned this in another thread. Don't see his play callin going vanilla. Playing with house money at this point but of course don't want to put JB in harms way either.

You claimed 3 ranked defense. Not true.

FO also takes into account schedule. Beating up on Tenn, Jax and Indy should not count the same as beating Denver or NE.

There are two primary basic statistical measure of D, total yards and scoring. By yards last year they were 3rd.

2015 NFL Team Total Stats - National Football League - ESPN

If FO is your gospel even by that measure they were eighth, and if you were a big FO guy last year you would have read the several articles showing how they were very good in the second half - in weeks 10-17 they had the best defensive DVOA in the league.

Football Outsiders Almanac: 2016 Texans Preview Q&A

And on the road.

I agree its quite an over react for the Texans to be favored in this game, didn't we go through this in week 1? Especially in Foxboro, if TB was playing what would the line be (-9) or so?

The Texans are vulnerable on the ground. The Cushing injury hurts their run defense, which has sprung some leaks since the linebacker went out. Regardless of who starts under centre Thursday night, I expect the running game to be pivotal for the Patriots.

On defense, the Patriots need to pressure the quarterback, disrupt the timing of the receivers at the LOS, and consistently stop the run, setting up second and long/third and long down and distance situations. Coverage windows should be tight, since the Ossweiler seemingly struggles throwing footballs into tight windows. We likely will see McCourty playing deep middle, since rookie Will Fuller is such a considerable deep threat so early in his young career.

Special teams has been great so far, so if this area remains consistent with what we have seen, then it will be a tremendous help to the defense, setting up situations where the Texans will have to drive the length of the field all throughout the game.

This would be as good time as ever to remove the moth balls from those varsity jackets.

Not sure which is more bush league - the Texans varsity jackets or LT announcing he was

a "class act" to the media, like he on was on an episode of Laguna Beach.

IMG_1148.jpg
This would be as good time as ever to remove the moth balls from those varsity jackets.

Not sure which is more bush league - the Texans varsity jackets or LT announcing he was

a "class act" to the media, like he on was on an episode of Laguna Beach.
Thanks for bringing this up. I almost forgot about those sweet varsity jackets.

On the good news front:
"The Patriots have dropped the following players from the injury report: CB Malcolm Butler (ankle), OT Marcus Cannon (knee), OG Shaq Mason (hand), LB Shea McClellin (shoulder), OT Nate Solder (hamstring), WR Chris Hogan (shoulder)." Ptspulpit

Mason must have lost his cast. Karass has done well for a rookie, but I think Mason adds more especially for a running attack to the right side. Hopefully Cannon being better helps there too.

Butler and Solder are obviously key members of the team.

Hogan is often mentioned for his blocking ability, he certainly has the frame for it.

Could be more gamesmanship by Bill shortening up our injury list. This team is not one to make excuses. Like what I see in resiliency from the 16/17 team.

Can't imagine Jimmy G playing, but possibly with cortisone and physio tape he can ride the bench and provide good council for Jake. Next week maybe .....

Wonder if they have a tribute video prepared for Vince. Forgot this was his first visit.

Houston is an easy team to understand.

On Offense

Miller - He is okay but really nothing special. He isn't the guy who can take over a game. He will do something like 25 runs for 100 yards. While that is solid that is not the reason you lose a game and he isn't the type to break a 50-60 yard catch or run so just let him do his thing and look to things which can't beat you.

Hopkins/Fuller - These 2 are the key to their offense and what will ultimately win or lose the game for them. They have nearly 80% of Houston's total passing yards and all 3 of its passing TDs. These are the players that make their offense go and potentially troublesome. Fuller in 6'0 180 and Hopkins is 6'1 215. So they are not size match up issues just coverage issues. Butler needs to step up and pick up where he left off last season. Ryan needs to bounce back. I would double 1 of them every time alternating to keep them honest.

Osweiler in 68 attempts has thrown 3 picks. We need to keep that going. That is really all we need to know about their offense as i doubt their will be any big surprises.

On Defense

Obviously their pass rush is very good with 9 sacks in 2 games but i question their run D which in 39 carries allowed 192 Yards for 4.9 YPA with 3 20+ yard runs. Opponents have fumbled 3 times and i wonder how much of that was forced or bad play.

Their DBs to me are not great and I think they have been covered for by the pass rush. I say just run and try to see if your WRs can pick on those DBs.

On STs

I think the Pats have a huge edge on special teams and I want Gost to make a key kick later here to help extend the lead in a close game.

Overall this is a game that looks close but Houston is a very simple straight forward team which BB usually does not lose to at home.

I will say Pats 24-17.

Not much else needs to be said about their O.

The value of having a QB go into the week preparing to start--even a short week--also cannot be overstated. I don't care how studious Brissett is, it's not really possible to be fully prepared for a game that spent all week knowing you had a 0% chance of starting. Now they're presumably drawing up a gameplan for him, and priority #1 is ensuring that he's prepared to execute it. Whole different ballgame.

• Agree
Reactions: SVN
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk