PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

HOF for Adam?

I was at the Indy NE vs NYG Super Bowl for the whole week prior to the game.

Walking back to my vehicle on a back street (free parking), I walked right by Adam V as he was loading his family into his Escalade. He looked directly at me with a look of horror as if I was going to ask for a pic or autograph. Maybe read him the riot act for leaving NE.

I didn't say a word and just nodded and kept walking.

If you don't think writers look past punters and kickers, consider this article on CBS Sports from just a few weeks ago. The author lists 11 players eligible for the first time; Adam Vinatieri is not a single one of them.

I will be very disappointed if AV doesn't get inducted in 2025 - but at the same time, I will not be surprised if he is passed over.

Keep in mind Vinatieri is not just competing with Luke Kuechly, Clay Matthews III, Marshawn Lynch, Eli Manning, Marshall Yanda, Terrell Suggs, Joe Staley, Ryan Kalil, etc.; those are just the first-time nominees.

There are also all those who were finalists that did not get in last time:
Rodney Harrison
Antonio Gates
Torry Holt
Fred Taylor
Reggie Wayne
Darren Woodson
Eric Allen
Jared Allen
Willie Anderson
Jahri Evans

And then there are also the semi-finalists from last time:
Vince Wilfork
Hines Ward
Robert Mathis
Ricky Watters
Steve Smith
Anquan Boldin
James Harrison
London Fletcher
Eddie George
Tiki Barber

That is a lot of quality competition for just a handful of spots.

This site lists Vinatieri as #4 by their metrics.

Eli is getting in, like NAmath and his mediocre stats got it, based on 2 post seasons when he caught lightning in a bottle and his last name and being in NY.. Other than 07 and 11, he didn't win a playoff game (0-4)
He probably will get in and it's absolutely ridiculous. .500 lifetime quarterback, that if you take one play, the helmet catch, away, he wouldn't even sniff it.

If he does get in they should just write into the bylaws that if a quarterback wins two Super Bowls they automatically get in and call it a day

It’s just disappointing they’re using a Colts photo. No offense to Adam, and I know he had his issues here at the end, but if it wasn’t for his playoff performances with the Pats he doesn’t even get a whiff of the Hall. He needs a Patriots photo to make his argument.
I believe it is the player‘s choice which team‘s jersey he has in the hall. Has he already been asked? Or is the dolt jersey a website editor choice?

I don’t know; but agree w you; … he ought to be portrayed as a Patriot.

He probably will get in and it's absolutely ridiculous. .500 lifetime quarterback, that if you take one play, the helmet catch, away, he wouldn't even sniff it.

If he does get in they should just write into the bylaws that if a quarterback wins two Super Bowls they automatically get in and call it a day
Jim Plunkett.

Unless he kills somebody in the text year or so he’s in

Also if Marshawn Lynch is a HOFer so is Corey Dillion

I am sure Jim plunkett ( who did more with
Much less early in his career) would agree.

The NYFL would never agree to such a hard and fast rule for the HOF. That would take away some of their power and force them to select some players, especially Patriots. Eli will get in because he won two SBs and he's a Manning.

I don't know if Vinatieri would have gotten a call out if the 2025 class was so bad. I think all of the five players listed will eventually get in, but none of them are first ballot worthy. I don't even know if they are second or third ballot worthy.

No way Eli gets in.

Hell yea on Vinny, as a Pat or Colt, who cares.
Wanna make a bet on Eli? NY bias, Patriot hate and Manning love. Checks the boxes.
Duck Dynasty GIF by DefyTV

The NYFL would never agree to such a hard and fast rule for the HOF. That would take away some of their power and force them to select some players, especially Patriots. Eli will get in because he won two SBs and he's a Manning.
Yeah, I didn't actually mean to suggest they would do that. Really just the idea of Eli being a Hall of Fame quarterback is ridiculous

He will get in. Might wait a few years. His most impressive kick was the 45 yarder in the snow against Oakland. If he misses it, maybe there is no dynasty. And it obviously doesn't lead to the classic gw kick against the Rams.

If you take a miracle play away from a player, and it makes him a no doubt non hofer, he should not be a hofer. In otherwords, there's zero discussion about Eli and the hof without a helmet catch that was a once in a billion type play. A play, he should get zero credit for. All he did was get out of a sack due to holding. Then, he closed his eyes and threw it up.

If you say Eli Manning, do you immediately say "Yes. That's a slamedunk hof player!!"? Most don't. If you have to think about it, he shouldn't be in. But he will get in. Because of where he played, his last name, and who he beat.

Yeah, I didn't actually mean to suggest they would do that. Really just the idea of Eli being a Hall of Fame quarterback is ridiculous
Agreed.

And let's say he beats the Chargers & Baltimore in those two SB's. Two teams without a huge nationwide following. Nor that popular. Teams without an undefeated record. Does he get in? I lean towards no.

The bigger problem I have is he did nothing outside of those years. He went one and done four times. In like 17 years, he won postseason games in two separate years. 8 playoff victories. Mahomes has won 7 postseason games in 13 months alone.

The HOF needs to be for the very best. When you say a guy's name, if it isn't an automatic yes vote, he should not be in. I don't have to go looking for stats on the likes of Mahomes, Kelce, Brady, Gronk, Rodgers, JJ Watt etc. They are in. There is no guessing needed.

No way Eli gets in.

Hell yea on Vinny, as a Pat or Colt, who cares.
If his name was Eli Smith and he played for the Jags his entire career, I would agree.

As is...he is definitely getting in. Watch him get in over a guy like Gates too.

The HOF needs to be for the very best. When you say a guy's name, if it isn't an automatic yes vote, he should not be in.
I probably disagree with that a little bit, because I think that's too restrictive. There's always gonna be borderline guys. It's just that I see a guy like Eli to be well below the line

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back