PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hardly anybody in the media is talking about the Dolphins

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rubber meets the road this weekend in the AFC East:

Dolphins versus Colts

Bills versus Texans

Contenders or pretenders?

The Dolphins need to run the table the next three weeks to be legitimate threats: Colts, Titans, Bills. Quite possible that they are 7-3 when the Patriots game rolls around, but they need to keep Tannehill upright and get consistent play from their defense.

The Dolphins need to run the table the next three weeks to be legitimate threats: Colts, Titans, Bills. Quite possible that they are 7-3 when the Patriots game rolls around, but they need to keep Tannehill upright and get consistent play from their defense.

I think they'll drop the Titans game. They'll get by the Colts (Reggie Bush should run wild during that game and Sean Smith can take out Reggie Wayne with little to no safety help), drop one to the Titans, and get by the Bills.

I think the media are silent because the pundits and writers honestly don't know what to make of the Dolphins, but we'll have a much better idea in the four weeks leading up to their first game with the Pats.

Aside from an opening day blowout at the hands of the Texans, they have lost two games by a total of six points and have now won three in a row. Their four games before they host the Pats are @IND, TEN, @BUF and SEA. After they play the Pats, they go @49ers, JAX, BUF @NEP.

So, their schedule is not unfavorable and a 6--3 finish is not out of the question, if they continue to play as they have been playing, which would put them at 10--6.

Why? They lost the games, that was the point.

Oh? I thought your point was the Dolphins haven't beaten any "decent" teams... and are mediocre at best?

So this is your argument? Anyone who doesn't say what you like must not know anything? Really?

No. My argument is, many folks just watch 20 seconds of Sports Center highlights... and/or peruse a box score... and then feel qualified to judge which teams are mediocre and which are not. Therefore they often reach egregiously erroneous conclusions.

Outside of 4 turnovers every team that ever turned the ball over 4 times and lost might have won.

Perhaps so... but not necessarily so. Certainly would help.

However, when you compress 4 turnovers in such a short time... resulting in 24 of your opponents 30 overall points - with 21 of those coming in the last 2 minutes of a half... while in the other 58 minutes of the game (while not directly scoring on defense - or securing possession inside the 10 to 20 yard line) your opponent manages a total of two field goals... that you've certainly completely changed the complexion of the game, to the point people who didn't watch the game - easily come away with a false conclusion of it.

Of course you also have to pretend they would make a whole lot of plays they didn't right?

Nope. Just have to 'pretend' two passes don't get tipped at the line of scrimmage, and fall perfectly into the defenses hands - that one WR doesn't fumble the ball immediately after catching a 30 yard pass (or that replay actually rules it incomplete - as absolutely should have been the case IMO)... and that Mike Sherman might have thought to kneel on the ball in the last 40 seconds of the first half (following 3 turnovers), instead of running the ball inside his 15 and allowing another fumble before the half.

Yeah OK they dominated while losing 30-10.

At the line of scrimmage? You betcha. Honest Texans fans can (and have) admit as much. When your top two backs average 4.9 and 3.7 yards per carry... and your opponents top two average 3 and 1.2 respectively, it's sort of a clue. Although a clue one cannot discern watching 20 seconds of highlights on Sports Center.

Then why the post?

An aversion to allowing the ignorant to corrupt innocent readers. It's a curse. Following up your dubious point here though... why have a football message board at all?

I think they'll drop the Titans game. They'll get by the Colts (Reggie Bush should run wild during that game and Sean Smith can take out Reggie Wayne with little to no safety help), drop one to the Titans, and get by the Bills.

I doubt the Dolphins win all three but I hope they do - it'll further bury the Jets who play at the Seahawks, at the Rams and home against New England (0-3?). It will also give the Dolphins momentum for a little AFC East payback with Seattle the week before they play the Patriots.

Seattle sucks on the road, so it is not inconceivable that the Patriots and Dolphins square off tied at 8-3 on December 2, 2012.

Last edited:
Oh? I thought your point was the Dolphins haven't beaten any "decent" teams... and are mediocre at best?
How does making excuses for losses change that?

No. My argument is, many folks just watch 20 seconds of Sports Center highlights... and/or peruse a box score... and then feel qualified to judge which teams are mediocre and which are not. Therefore they often reach egregiously erroneous conclusions.
No, you used that in response to my opinion, inferring that about me. That is typical of someone who lacks a strong argument. If you can't answer pretend the opinion is uninformed. That won't cut it here.

Perhaps so... but not necessarily so. Certainly would help.
Which is why turnovers are as much a part of the game as anything else, and to pretend you can ignore them is silly. Would you argue a team that lost because they allowed 250 rushing yards shouldn'[t consider it a real loss because if they just didn't do that they might have won? Its the same thing.

However, when you compress 4 turnovers in such a short time... resulting in 24 of your opponents 30 overall points - with 21 of those coming in the last 2 minutes of a half... while in the other 58 minutes of the game (while not directly scoring on defense - or securing possession inside the 10 to 20 yard line) your opponent manages a total of two field goals... that you've certainly completely changed the complexion of the game, to the point people who didn't watch the game - easily come away with a false conclusion of it.
No the conclusion is correct, because turnovers are a vital part of the game. The rest is a lame excuse.

Nope. Just have to 'pretend' two passes don't get tipped at the line of scrimmage, and fall perfectly into the defenses hands - that one WR doesn't fumble the ball immediately after catching a 30 yard pass (or that replay actually rules it incomplete - as absolutely should have been the case IMO)... and that Mike Sherman might have thought to kneel on the ball in the last 40 seconds of the first half (following 3 turnovers), instead of running the ball inside his 15 and allowing another fumble before the half.
Losers have made these type of excuses for many years.

At the line of scrimmage? You betcha. Honest Texans fans can (and have) admit as much.
So the ones who agree with you are honest, and the ones who don't are not?
When your top two backs average 4.9 and 3.7 yards per carry... and your opponents top two average 3 and 1.2 respectively, it's sort of a clue. Although a clue one cannot discern watching 20 seconds of highlights on Sports Center.
A 20 margin has a lot to do with that too.
And again you are back to claiming a lack of knowledge for anyone he sees it otherwise, meaning you know your argument stinks.

An aversion to allowing the ignorant to corrupt innocent readers. It's a curse. Following up your dubious point here though... why have a football message board at all?
You are the one who said it was pointless, answer this one yourself.

I think they're better than the Colts, Titans and Bills, but might slip up against one since they are a young team and its hard to imagine 6 straight wins. But it's certainly a favorable schedule...and the game against Seattle is a game in Miami. Seahawks offense really struggles on the road.

The defense is the main reason for the Dolphins success, and why they're 10-6 since starting 0-7 last year. They're giving up the fewest points in the AFC, with the Texans right behind giving up just 2 more points. Too young and inexperienced to move past the Patriots in 2012, but enough pieces to be a wild card playoff contender and at least make things exciting in the division that has the circus Jets and bumbling Bills.

Oh and by the way, New England and New York won't be getting this game on TV (without sunday ticket) it looks like. Instead of the rival Dolphins vs. semi-rival Colts, its the Bungles! Who are almost sure to get carved up by Peyton Manning. Unless CBS changes it, like FOX did with their game.

How does making excuses for losses change that?

I'd hardly call pointing out that two of those losses were in overtime, after missing game winning field goals of their own... excuses.

But I think anyone reading can understand you didn't mention that, because it doesn't support YOUR overall point: "the Dolphins haven't beaten any "decent" teams... and are mediocre at best"

No, you used that in response to my opinion, inferring that about me. That is typical of someone who lacks a strong argument. If you can't answer pretend the opinion is uninformed. That won't cut it here.

Okay. I'm perfectly willing to accept you did watch the Dolphins games... and were just leaving out anything that didn't support your point. Far be it from me to assume ignorance on your part, rather than rank dishonesty.

Which is why turnovers are as much a part of the game as anything else, and to pretend you can ignore them is silly. Would you argue a team that lost because they allowed 250 rushing yards shouldn'[t consider it a real loss because if they just didn't do that they might have won? Its the same thing.

Turnovers are a part of the game. Most coaches will tell you that they are the determining factor in who wins 99% of the time, assuming any occur. They can completely change the complexion of a game... as they did the Dolphins-Texans contest.

However, attempting to analyze and describe an ENTIRE game to someone is NOT:

a.) Pretending you can ignore turnovers.
b.) Considering the game as "not a real loss".

I'm sure having a plus 5 turnover ratio is part of any good coaches game plan... and I'm not saying eliminating your own turnovers and creating your opponents turnovers are not something ALL coaches work on religiously.

However, given the "luck" factor involved in some turnovers (not only tipping a pass, but having someone in position to intercept it afterwards)... it might be of interest to also consider and analyze whether your opponent can block and tackle, as well as counting on turnovers if your playing them - or even more so if your attempting to characterize that team (mediocre or otherwise) to others. lol

No the conclusion is correct, because turnovers are a vital part of the game. The rest is a lame excuse.

Whatever. The Dolphins are mediocre, because you can always count on having a great turnover margin against them. lol

Losers have made these type of excuses for many years.

And passionate/arrogant debaters a have glossed over any information that doesn't fit their pre-determined conclusions for much longer.

So the ones who agree with you are honest, and the ones who don't are not?

This is a good point. By using the word honest, I do imply dishonesty on the part of other fans... which isn't entirely the case. I used it as short-hand for describing those fans of a team who are actually open to debate with fans of another team... and capable of conceding a point when the evidence is black and white.

There are fans who are mature enough, wise enough, and open-minded enough to have an actual back and forth discussion with fans of other teams... and even concede good points made by the opposing side. Then there are the zealot/extremist/homer type of fans... whose passion, emotions, immaturity, etc... only allow them to see any opposing viewpoint as an attack. With those type of fans... an open discussion/debate of any finer points is impossible... and will always degenerate to smack talk and attacks, with little thought applied to anything.

For instance, patsfanken has always been the former fan type in my experience. I don't know you well enough yet to judge... but so far, its not looking good. :)

So back to your point... calling fans like patsfanken "honest" does imply dishonesty on the part of other fans, which as I said isn't entirely true. I'm willing to make allowances for the emotions/passions of the zealot fans... and to an extent, they contribute to what the league is. It's just that you don't really want to try and converse with them, unless you share the object of their passion. And although I do see honesty, both with others and more especially with themselves, as part of the equation.... implying full dishonesty isn't fair. Good point.

A 20 margin has a lot to do with that too.
And again you are back to claiming a lack of knowledge for anyone he sees it otherwise, meaning you know your argument stinks.

It has everything to do with that, as far as the score... and standing's. You are what you are.

But considering that entire margin (plus 1) was earned in the final two minutes of the first half... I doubt it's wise to ignore the other 58 minutes of the game, should you be preparing to play the Dolphins - or attempting to analyze whether the Dolphins are "mediocre at best" or not. :)

You are the one who said it was pointless, answer this one yourself.

I did NOT say it was pointless. I implied we'd be able to judge which view is more correct eventually, somewhat definitively... and the better so, the nearer the end of the season. Each game in each season is like a puzzle piece... but you have to put all the pieces together to see the full picture.

I actually enjoy discussing football, and consider myself a student of the game. That's why I enjoy football message boards, and discussing it with fans of all types... and why I posted, to answer your original question AGAIN.

9-7 or at most 10-6 is realistic. Probably wild card if they manage that. More than anyone could have expected.
It would be a great story actually. You may be finally over that hump with Tannehill. It seems to be coinciding nicely with the fall of the Jets and Bills.

Of course the Jets, geez, who could have seen that coming? Har ...

Isn't it a great feeling to know more about the real Jets than their HC?

Miami is one of many teams that are still fighting, and in contention for, a playoff spot. The same is true of both the Jets and the Bills.
In record only because the Jets' and Bills' pointers are decidedly down. There is just something about both teams that would be highly disturbing if you owned stock in them.

OTOH, the Dolphins seem to be ably coached and possess at the very least the best defense in the division, if not the conference. A lot hinges on a rookie QB, but he seems up to it, and they seem to have designed an offense that he thrives in.

Plus he's got a dynamite looking wife. That should all be worth a winning record if you ask me.

And now, the Dolphins are dead as far as the AFC East goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST