PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gunner gunning for the Edelman role

How are Wes Welker and JE bigger players?

Wes Welker 5'9" 185 pounds
Julian Edelman 5'10 195 pounds
Gunner O 6'0 190 pounds
Theyre both bigger than Gunner.
For Gunner to be comparable strength of build to Jules, hed have to weigh 205 lbs. 5'10 195 is a much stronger and more poerful build than 6' 190. You add 5lbs for each inch of height. So if Gunner adds 15 lbs of muscle w/o sacrificing any speed or quickness, then hed be comparable in size/strength. "Bigness", when referring to athletes is not about height. Its about the ratio of height to weight, assuming fat % and muscularity are similar. I like Gunner but he needs to get stronger. Hes much weaker than both welker and jules right now. But the kid is willing to work so hes got a shot. But lets ease up expectations.
Youre comparing him to 2 of the greatest of all time. Hed got a LOOONG way to go to be in their company.

I'm honestly not even considering that Gunner becomes the next Edelman or Welker. Seems to me a better projection would be Amendola. Physically I can see it, but Danny's biggest asset was his clutch play in the postseason. That will be impossible to see unless they make it there and he earns some playing time therein. But I see him much more in that role, of a depth WR, backup slot, PR, and (hopefully) some key 3rd downs. If we're looking for optimism regarding him, I think that's a more realistic vision than a couple of guys who would put up 100 catch seasons.

Was reading one of King's novels alone in my apartment in Boston and come to the part where the perpetrator is standing at the corner of Tremont and LaGrange Streets in Boston...... where was I living...at the corner of Tremont and Lagrange..Put that book away and decided to finish it later...at a different location....

If you lived at the corner of LaGrange street during the 1970s & '80s, then you might've seen some action outside your window scarier than what was in some of those books...or at least more, ahem, risque...

Last edited:
I don't see it. But the one reason for hope would be that it took Edleman a couple of years to make an impact and grow into the role. Wouldn't hurt him to add a little muscle to his frame.

Difference is, Edelman was already immersed in offensive football because of his time at QB...Gunner is now, in a manner of speaking, kinda trying to do things with one hand in the pros that he used to do with the other hand in college...

Last edited:
Theyre both bigger than Gunner.
For Gunner to be comparable strength of build to Jules, hed have to weigh 205 lbs. 5'10 195 is a much stronger and more poerful build than 6' 190. You add 5lbs for each inch of height. So if Gunner adds 15 lbs of muscle w/o sacrificing any speed or quickness, then hed be comparable in size/strength. "Bigness", when referring to athletes is not about height. Its about the ratio of height to weight, assuming fat % and muscularity are similar. I like Gunner but he needs to get stronger. Hes much weaker than both welker and jules right now. But the kid is willing to work so hes got a shot. But lets ease up expectations.
Youre comparing him to 2 of the greatest of all time. Hed got a LOOONG way to go to be in their company.

Edelman underwent significant physical transformation during his time with the Pats. This is from his rookie year:
6DE2A396-56E0-426A-BAF8-F65DCC112C4D.jpeg

Gunner absolutely needs to get stronger and needs to add bulk (even last year, I worried about him getting injured with every punt return), but it takes time and he was starting at a lower level as a rookie, given that he did not have the benefit of a major college strength and conditioning program. He knows this as well, hence his “bigger, stronger, faster” comment when asked about his offseason priorities.

If you lived at the corner of LaGrange street during the 1970s & '80s, then you might've seen some action outside your window scarier than what was in some of those books...or at least more, ahem, risque...
That is exactly when it was happening, when I was in grad school at Tufts. watching knifings and daily proposition by the hookers......I believe my late parents' comment was " we worked hard to get out of neighborhoods like this, and you moved back in."
I was walking to class one day behind a classmate from rural North Carolina, not used to urban life. I disguised my voice and bellowed " hey you" "i'm talking to you" ..slowly he turned around, white as a ghost until he saw it was me and proceeded to call me every name in the book......
Did he forget that incident? At our 25th reunion, he walked up to my wife and asked," do you know what your a**hole husband once did to me???" He didn't forget.........

Agree.

I read a bunch of Stephen King books as a kid thru HS. My mom is a big reader so she all of them lying around so...
When in the Air Force I was on stairwell duty to not let females in the men's dorm and I was reading Pet Semetary, which isn't a terrifying book, but there is a part of the book where someone is describing in in-depth detail what it must be like to die in a very creepy way and then all the lights go out in the whole dorm and I am in complete darkness at 2 am and there is all sorts of strange noises that you don't notice when the lights are on. I obviously couldn't leave me post and didn't have a flashlight with me (pre-cellphones). Backup generator kicked in after about 5 minutes, but it seemed like a lot longer.

I could see them springing Gunner for a few deep throws just to see if chemistry can be generated that way. He has the speed for it, and the hands aren't terrible. Could be a poor man's TY Hilton

His 40 is 4.56. He doesn't have the speed you suggest. He has quickness. They are different.

When in the Air Force I was on stairwell duty to not let females in the men's dorm and I was reading Pet Semetary, which isn't a terrifying book, but there is a part of the book where someone is describing in in-depth detail what it must be like to die in a very creepy way and then all the lights go out in the whole dorm and I am in complete darkness at 2 am and there is all sorts of strange noises that you don't notice when the lights are on. I obviously couldn't leave me post and didn't have a flashlight with me (pre-cellphones). Backup generator kicked in after about 5 minutes, but it seemed like a lot longer.
Yep. SK books are a total and complete mind f__k

@pctronics0072

Please read the following article.

There are many articles with various conclusions but most support what I have experienced over the last twenty five years which is that automation doesn't replace jobs. And I'd expand on that by saying that automation saves jobs that would be otherwise lost to companies that shutdown because of a lack of modernization.

If you have a different perspective then I'd like to hear it.
Some automation creates new capabilities or allows a process to scale, but by nature it usually replaces human effort.

The whole slot WR option-route guy was for Tom Brady. There is no "Welker/Edelman role" anymore. We can argue whether Brady can do a lot more (I think he clearly can) but the point is the slot WR need on the Patriots is totally different now with Brady gone. And they already have 4 good weapons for middle of the field now with Meyers, Bourne, also Henry and Jonnu Smith.

Cam would have trouble with a shorter smaller target, Mac won’t have that problem if he’s good.

Gunner’s similarly sized to Amendola and has decent strength, what’s the problem?

PR, KR, WR, CB, S, Gunner... the guy showed his versatility in preseason of his rookie year. He’ll play wherever the team needs him, and can.

The whole slot WR option-route guy was for Tom Brady. There is no "Welker/Edelman role" anymore. We can argue whether Brady can do a lot more (I think he clearly can) but the point is the slot WR need on the Patriots is totally different now with Brady gone. And they already have 4 good weapons for middle of the field now with Meyers, Bourne, also Henry and Jonnu Smith.
In 2007 Welker caught 112 passes from Brady. In 2008 he caught 111 from Cassel. If you can't find a way that a Welker or Edelman could help your QB, either your offense sucks or your QB does.

In 2007 Welker caught 112 passes from Brady. In 2008 he caught 111 from Cassel. If you can't find a way that a Welker or Edelman could help your QB, either your offense sucks or your QB does.
Winner. Keep in mind: Jules had his biggest numbers in a game catching passes... from Cam.

giphy (3).gif

You’re forgetting that Brady was a system QB, and that was part of the system. The system will still work that way even if it’s Jones or even Stidham playing QB.

Winner. Keep in mind: Jules had his biggest numbers in a game catching passes... from Cam.

With no cartilage left in his knees. There isn't a QB in NFL history that wouldn't have loved (and been better for) playing with Edelman.

That's a great story too!

(I could also say something like Marines think that Air Force dudes scare easily...but I won't.)

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back