PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gunner gunning for the Edelman role

Edelman is a special kind of competitor. You don't replace a guy like that easily (or even twice in a generation usually). But Gunner has a little bit of that dog in him. I hope he can earn some reps with the offense, and they can find him some routes that take advantage of the quicks and vision he uses on PR.

sport coach GIF

Gunner already has a movie worthy story as an All-Pro punt returner. He was a division II CB that wasn't ranked in any draft publication as a top 1,000 prospect. He was a tryout that made it to training camp. Having the second highest punt return average since the merger is already a crazy achievement.

I'm not sure if he'll make it as an NFL WR but it was interesting that he was one of the few stars of training camp last season (not that it means much anyway). He has the attitude & athleticism to succeed in the slot.

Why does he seem to be so much better on punts than kickoffs?

Gunner already has a movie worthy story as an All-Pro punt returner. He was a division II CB that wasn't ranked in any draft publication as a top 1,000 prospect. He was a tryout that made it to training camp. Having the second highest punt return average since the merger is already a crazy achievement.

I'm not sure if he'll make it as an NFL WR but it was interesting that he was one of the few stars of training camp last season (not that it means much anyway). He has the attitude & athleticism to succeed in the slot.

I thought it was the highest average not 2nd highest ?

Why does he seem to be so much better on punts than kickoffs?

It's not just him it's anyone. On kickoffs the other team has 11 guys all executing a plan with 40 yards to see the field all looking downfield. A punt is chaos, a shifty quick guy can make moves.

To follow up on this, this video makes the argument that kickoffs in general are just terrible. I'm not advocating for the solution he posits at the end, but the video basically shows that the only guy in recent history who consistently returns kicks without just running a straight line up the sideline has been Cordarelle Patterson.

(Also, this guy and series does some fun stuff... just ignore the 80's graphics and Kenny G music).

I sure hope so. We need something at the slot position.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back