PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gunner gunning for the Edelman role

I am pretty excited to see our TEs. Should be the strength of the team unlike last year.

Is Meyers a slot? I thought he was more outside. I don't have much hope for Bourne but would love to be wrong.
Meyers is all over but mostly slot and the traditional flanker position.

No reason to be down on Bourne

There are a lot of scenarios where Gunner has virtually no role on offense, but I also can definitely see him continuing to improve and becoming a legitimate receiver with a distinct role. What I really like about both him and Meyers is they have only improved over their time in the league. I don't like to say players like that have reached their ceiling until they actually start to show signs of reaching their ceiling.

There are a lot of scenarios where Gunner has virtually no role on offense, but I also can definitely see him continuing to improve and becoming a legitimate receiver with a distinct role. What I really like about both him and Meyers is they have only improved over their time in the league. I don't like to say players like that have reached their ceiling until they actually start to show signs of reaching their ceiling.
Let's be real. Absent injuries,, Gunner has little chance of having a significant role in the offense, as is the case this year for any # 4WR in an offense that emphasizes the run and has at least 7 targets before him.

I've... uh... never seen it.

View attachment 32930
This released while I was visiting colleges. So, while in Vermont to see what they had to offer, my Dad and I went to see this. The next day we visited the campus - Norwich University - Military College of Vermont.

Probably affected my objectivity.

Exactly. A Welker/DA/JE11 type receiver is not a gotta-have-one in this offense right now.

They literally did all that to optimize Brady with an option-route dominated offense. Doesn't make sense to force this WR type with different QBs now. But TE is critical, the 2TE offense will be great.

Let's be real. Absent injuries,, Gunner has little chance of having a significant role in the offense, as is the case this year for any # 4WR in an offense that emphasizes the run and has at least 7 targets before him.
What's the point of even having a discussion? The only difference between my post and yours is I also talk about what might happen rather than what probably will happen. I also think that hypothetical increased role for Gunner would be more of a 2022 or later thing. It took Edelman quite a few years to develop into a real WR, but there were signs of potential for him just like there are signs of potential for Gunner (to a lesser extent).

Be a good returner, never sniff the pedigree of WR edelman was, imo.

What's the point of even having a discussion? The only difference between my post and yours is I also talk about what might happen rather than what probably will happen. I also think that hypothetical increased role for Gunner would be more of a 2022 or later thing. It took Edelman quite a few years to develop into a real WR, but there were signs of potential for him just like there are signs of potential for Gunner (to a lesser extent).
OK, I agree.

If there are injuries, and Gunner beats out Harry, Zuber, Nixon and Wilkerson, Gunner MIGHT play a significant role in the offense.

OK, I agree.

If there are injuries, and Gunner beats out Harry, Zuber, Nixon and Wilkerson, Gunner MIGHT play a significant role in the offense.

I think he will. We need a #4 WR. Gunner or Tre will overtake Harry.

I like his chances. Imo, Gunner is better than Edelman was at the same point in their careers. Edelman didn't turn into the wr we know until like 2012/13. Give Gunner time for that nfl strength and conditioning to mold him a new body.

I like his chances. Imo, Gunner is better than Edelman was at the same point in their careers. Edelman didn't turn into the wr we know until like 2012/13. Give Gunner time for that nfl strength and conditioning to mold him a new body.
I don't think you remember JE11s rookie year in which he had 37 catches.

JE11 had close to the same #s on PRs in 2010.

I like Gunner but to say he was ahead of JE11 after 2 years in the league I don't think is accurate.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back