PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gunner gunning for the Edelman role

In 2007 Welker caught 112 passes from Brady. In 2008 he caught 111 from Cassel.

The point is, given Meyers, Bourne, Henry, Smith, there's no need to force Gunner into an Edelman-like role. The middle of the field is good with existing talent on the roster.

That is exactly when it was happening, when I was in grad school at Tufts. watching knifings and daily proposition by the hookers......I believe my late parents' comment was " we worked hard to get out of neighborhoods like this, and you moved back in."
I was walking to class one day behind a classmate from rural North Carolina, not used to urban life. I disguised my voice and bellowed " hey you" "i'm talking to you" ..slowly he turned around, white as a ghost until he saw it was me and proceeded to call me every name in the book......
Did he forget that incident? At our 25th reunion, he walked up to my wife and asked," do you know what your a**hole husband once did to me???" He didn't forget.........

Yeah I can imagine what hearing a scary-sounding voice in the Combat Zone must've felt like to someone from a small town...Hilarious...

The point is, given Meyers, Bourne, Henry, Smith, there's no need to force Gunner into an Edelman-like role. The middle of the field is good with existing talent on the roster.

That's why I'm disappointed in Bill's lack of aggressiveness trying to find another outside receiver to go with Agholor, either via the draft (the 242nd overall pick doesn't really count) or bargain-level veteran free agency...He couldn't be bothered even just to re-sign Byrd, somebody who was actually somewhat proficient in this offense, especially when his QB is considered...

Why does he seem to be so much better on punts than kickoffs?
Kickoffs are much more about pure speed than punt returns (which can be schemed much more as well) and are designed to fail by the rules - the changes especially recently all favor the kicking team - no wedges, a lot closer and not a rule change but kicker leg strength also forces way more touchbacks. I would also put some on BB's attention to special teams for Gunner's success.

Salems Lot. Another one that stayed with me for a bit as a kid.
That and Cujo were the two for me...and I've told the story before of walking behind the UNH MUB early one morning back in the late eighties where the water flows under the street and seeing a red balloon bobbing along and thinking..."we all float down here"...

That and Cujo were the two for me...and I've told the story before of walking behind the UNH MUB early one morning back in the late eighties where the water flows under the street and seeing a red balloon bobbing along and thinking..."we all float down here"...
I know where that is.

I did that for Halloween one year. One night my teenager and I (she just saw "IT") went around at night and tied red balloons to the sewer grates.

Yeah I can imagine what hearing a scary-sounding voice in the Combat Zone must've felt like to someone from a small town...Hilarious...
There's a flip side to that too. I was in the war zone of New Haven CT in the 80s, then moved for graduate school to a small town in the Midwest and a college campus with pretty walkways going through the woods. I was conditioned to expect all sorts of trouble to come jumping at me from the shadows, like it surely would have in New Haven.

Years ago, I was an evening DJ at a radio station in Maine. I'd started "Pet Sematary" earlier that day and gotten about halfway through, before heading in to the station.

After my shift, I got home and read the rest, finishing up around 2:45am.

Don't recall getting any sleep that night. :oops:

I think Meyers will be the slot receiver. Gunner will be 2nd team slot and 1st team punt returner. I think your 3 receiver set will be Agholor, Bourne and Meyers.

That's why I'm disappointed in Bill's lack of aggressiveness trying to find another outside receiver to go with Agholor, either via the draft (the 242nd overall pick doesn't really count) or bargain-level veteran free agency...He couldn't be bothered even just to re-sign Byrd, somebody who was actually somewhat proficient in this offense, especially when his QB is considered...
Why doesn't Tre Nixon count? He's fast, he's also bigger and stronger than Byrd.

I agree, Gunner will be active each week to play special teams plus Cam can't hit a small target... he struggles with big targets.

The Pats are happy to keep Gunner doing what they need him to do and prepared to use him in three phases. That being said I think he is a shifty weapon who could play slot well assuming he can catch the ball, his opportunity will come... hopefully by then an accurate passer like Mac Jones (theoretically) will be playing who can take advantage of him.

I think Meyers will be the slot receiver. Gunner will be 2nd team slot and 1st team punt returner. I think your 3 receiver set will be Agholor, Bourne and Meyers.
Yes, our 3 WR's are Agholor, Bourne and Meyers.

With Smith and Henry, we will often go with 2 WR's. If Bourne or Meyers are injured, I see us using our 2 WR's and 2 TE's. I wouldn't sit one of the TE's to have Gunner play the slot.

So, sure, if there are 4 active WR's including Gunner, then he can be considered the backup at the slot.

However, as cap keep on reminding us, we have Bourne and Meyers as slot receivers, and no real 2nd outside receiver. Of course, Bourne or Meyers will play that role.
==============
My BOTTOM LINE is that we have several receivers in the short middle of the field: Bourne, Meyers, Smith, Henry and White. For me, Gunner is Option #6.

Why doesn't Tre Nixon count? He's fast, he's also bigger and stronger than Byrd.

None of us heard of Tre Nixon until Ernie called his name...Let's just hope that he's worthy of a PS spot first, before we count him on the 53...

None of us heard of Tre Nixon until Ernie called his name...Let's just hope that he's worthy of a PS spot first, before we count him on the 53...
He has a line of vets in front of him, if Agholor gets hurt they may look to him to fill that speed role at flanker. Otherwise they may redshirt him with the Foxboro Flu. But to say he doesn't look promising or possess enough speed is wrong.

He has a line of vets in front of him, if Agholor gets hurt they may look to him to fill that speed role at flanker. Otherwise they may redshirt him with the Foxboro Flu. But to say he doesn't look promising or possess enough speed is wrong.

Why PUP/IR him when you can simply waive him on Cut-Down Day when there are like 600 guys unemployed at the same time, re-sign him to the PS, then recall him as needed?

Why PUP/IR him when you can simply waive him on Cut-Down Day when there are like 600 guys unemployed at the same time, re-sign him to the PS, then recall him as needed?
Depends how good he looks, the Pats have difficulty hiding good prospects on the practice squad.

Last year they activated Ferentz off the PS in-season because neither Thuney or Hjalte Froholdt could long snap well, they tried to hide Froholdt on the PS and he was snapped up immediately by the Texans.

Unfortunately for us most GM's and Coaches don't share in the opinion Bill has lost his fastball in personnel decisions.

Yes, our 3 WR's are Agholor, Bourne and Meyers.

With Smith and Henry, we will often go with 2 WR's. If Bourne or Meyers are injured, I see us using our 2 WR's and 2 TE's. I wouldn't sit one of the TE's to have Gunner play the slot.

So, sure, if there are 4 active WR's including Gunner, then he can be considered the backup at the slot.

However, as cap keep on reminding us, we have Bourne and Meyers as slot receivers, and no real 2nd outside receiver. Of course, Bourne or Meyers will play that role.
==============
My BOTTOM LINE is that we have several receivers in the short middle of the field: Bourne, Meyers, Smith, Henry and White. For me, Gunner is Option #6.

Agree. Although one minor thing, I think Meyers has done more than Bourne so in 12 personnel with 2 TEs I believe Meyers plays over Bourne.

Depends how good he looks, the Pats have difficulty hiding good prospects on the practice squad.

Last year they activated Ferentz off the PS in-season because neither Thuney or Hjalte Froholdt could long snap well, they tried to hide Froholdt on the PS and he was snapped up immediately by the Texans.

Unfortunately for us most GM's and Coaches don't share in the opinion Bill has lost his fastball in personnel decisions.

These two phrases must Never, EVER be used in the same post...Unless the first one is preceded Immediately by the word "Not,"

Agree. Although one minor thing, I think Meyers has done more than Bourne so in 12 personnel with 2 TEs I believe Meyers plays over Bourne.
I'm fine either way. Both Bourne and Meyers will have lots of opportunities.

Many of us are fine with Agholor, Bourne and Meyers. Other than having 100% health, I am with others in thinking that we need a reasonable #4 who can have a major role when one of the WR's is out for a game or two. I'm sure that Belichick is looking and considering his Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back