PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk's issue with part of the Patriots Way under BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gronk is trying to make a name for himself as an analyst and so he has to say some things outside the main stream of thought or that are semi controversial.
I do not hold it against him, but remember Gronk had a critical role in only one of the 6 super bowl wins (the last one). So his thoughts about the Patriot way are not exactly fundamental to the success they have achieved.

Super Bowl 49 would like you to watch it again.

Who cares. He was a HOF level talent for us during his entire tenure here. Wish him the best in his current/future endeavors.

Beyond Hall of Fame level talent, he was remarkably unselfish, often played through pain, and was the ultimate good guy on and off the field.

This is just my speculation, but I sense that Gronk would have continued playing if Belichick had been open to giving him more leeway with his training schedule, practices, etc and that Gronk would have played longer if he was with another coach and team. He has referenced the tough grind of playing for Belichick on several occasions and we know he was almost traded in 2018 to the Lions.

It’s also not a stretch to say he’s probably resentful of the way the Patriots handled his injuries, considering the very public nature of getting second opinions after he re-broke his forearm in 2012 on his first play back. The forearm never healed correctly, hence the permanent brace. Of all the injuries, though, I think it was the chronic back issues that really drove him out; multiple people said in 2016 that having disc problems would ultimately end his career and began their stopwatches.

Gronk has certainly earned my attention and respect to his own perception of the team, which seems somewhat bittersweet. He will be remembered foremost of his three championships and has on many occasions talked about how he wouldn’t play for any QB besides Brady. He obviously has a lot of love and respect for his playing career with the Patriots and plenty of darker moments too.

You almost cant wait to see what outfit Gronk will wear next week and hear what he will say next.

Gronk is trying to make a name for himself as an analyst and so he has to say some things outside the main stream of thought or that are semi controversial.
I do not hold it against him, but remember Gronk had a critical role in only one of the 6 super bowl wins (the last one). So his thoughts about the Patriot way are not exactly fundamental to the success they have achieved.

Lol...such a bad take.

In Super Bowl 46, he showed how dominant he was as the offense struggled having him limping around.

The Patriots didn’t make the Super Bowls 47 or 48. Both seasons he was injured and the offense stalled against Baltimore and Denver in the AFCCG. It was obvious to anyone watching that his absence was the reason the Patriots couldn’t move the ball.

He played an enormous role in Super Bowl 49. What game were you watching? That was a historic defense, and the Patriots put up 28 points. There's a reason Edelman was single covered the entire fourth quarter. Gronk still had a great game statistically.

The Patriots didn’t make Super Bowl 50, even though his performance at Denver in the AFCCG was absolutely legendary, basically willing the team back while multiple star players on Denver defended him. He was even open on the 2-point conversion, but Brady missed it.

He didn’t play in SB51, so there’s the one (rather ridiculous) gripe that he wasn’t tremendously important to the team. Luckily that might have been the best Patriots team on the 2010s and Bennett was also a really good player.

SB52 was a historically great game from Gronk despite the defense allowing 41 points.

SB53 was another incredible game considering his limitations. That catch up the seam was the difference in the game.

To recap, he played through the postseason in 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2017, and 2018. In six postseasons with Gronk healthy, they made four Super Bowl appearances and won two. He was a complete monster even in losses in 2015 and 2017 (SB) and playing on a high ankle sprain in 2011 (SB). I don't know if there's another player in the league who was so consistently great in the postseason, provided he was semi-healthy.

Rob Gronkowski Playoffs Game Log | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Gronkowski was the difference maker is every imaginable way, and I believe he’s the league’s most valuable player (besides QBs) of the 2010s. He’s like Bobby Orr without any historical comparison as an offensive player, since he is the only player who could dominate the game on the line of scrimmage and downfield.

Last edited:
Lol...such a bad take.

In Super Bowl 46, he showed how dominant he was as the offense struggled having him limping around.

The Patriots didn’t make the Super Bowls 47 or 48. Both seasons he was injured and the offense stalled against Baltimore and Denver in the AFCCG. It was obvious to anyone watching that his absence wasn’t the reason the Patriots couldn’t move the ball.

He played an enormous role in Super Bowl 49. What game were you watching? That was a historic defense, and the Patriots put up 28 points.

The Patriots didn’t make Super Bowl 50, even though his performance at Denver in the AFCCG was absolutely legendary, basically willing the team back while multiple star players on Denver defended him. He was even open on the 2-point conversion, but Brady missed it.

He didn’t play in SB51, so there’s the one (rather ridiculous) gripe that he wasn’t tremendously important to the team. Luckily that might have been the best Patriots team on the 2010s and Bennett was also a really good player.

SB52 was a historically great game from Gronk despite the defense allowing 41 points.

SB53 was another incredible game considering his limitations. That catch up the seam was the difference in the game.

Gronkowski was the difference maker is every imaginable way, and I believe he’s the league’s most valuable player (besides QBs) of the 2010s. He’s like Bobby Orr without any historical comparison as an offensive player, since he is the only player who could dominate the game on the line of scrimmage and downfield.
I have no particular interest in what Gronk does with his life in retirement (as is my way with most players) but as you described, he was genuinely extraordinary on the field. The only thing that defeated Gronk was injuries.

Gronk had a critical role in only one of the 6 super bowl wins (the last one).
How on Earth do you ignore Gronk and Super Bowl 49? A TD in 2nd quarter + important receptions in the 4th on the go-ahead, game winning drive. Not to mention TDs and multiple receptions against the Ravens and Colts playoff games.

Gronkowski averaged 9.5 yards per target in 2018, which by his standards was a huge down year in production. He was targeted a lot less. But just to put things in perspective, Randy Moss averaged 9.3 yards per target in 2007, and that’s still all-time great efficiency. And look at where the other tight ends are on this list.

Career Yards Per Target

Gronkowski - 9.9
J. Jones - 9.8
Irvin - 9.3*
C. Johnson - 8.9
Moss - 8.8
Brown - 8.8
Beckham - 8.7
Holt - 8.6
Owens - 8.5
Rice - 8.4*
Wayne - 8.4
Harrison - 8.2
Bryant - 8.2
Gates - 8.1
Sharpe - 8.1
Graham - 7.8
Witten - 7.7
Gonzalez - 7.5
D. Clark - 7.3

*Targets became a recorded stat in 1992.

Now that we’ve established he may be the most efficient receiver ever, just wondering if any of those other guys can also maul defenders at the LOS, acting as essentially a sixth offensive lineman?

I dont think Gronk will last long as an analyst. Hes just not that good.

Anyways, im sure playing for the patriots isnt "fun" but not getting to high on the highs and to low on the lows is one of the reasons for the patriots success. should the patriots be celebrating a regular season win over the eagles where the offense looked horrific? Thats a surefire way to be content with your offense.

its this kind of mentality that had a patriots team last year coming off a superbowl loss at 11-5 struggling on the road, struggling for offense go on and win the superbowl..by putting the loss behind them and remaining focused.

and why teams like the seahawks, rams, eagles came crashing down...(granted the seahawks are back this year with a revamped roster)

IDK, when they panned out it seems Howie Long and Tony G. had their heads down and were cracking up. Leave Gronk alone - he's having fun and he's a goofball. He's not really calling out the Pats - just listing some stuff that wore on him. Presumably they're paying him to dish, and he isn't saying anything we don't already know. For the most part he's a pro-Pats homer.

I was not aware and Id wager most on this board werent either that Gronk didnt enjoy winning. He was quoted as saying that he doesnt miss playing for the 9 - 1 Patriots. Here all this time I believed that winning was what sports was all about. Winning = good lets celebrate and losing = bad no party.

Goofy is biting the hand that fed him. Lane Johnson is smiling wherever he is. Sportsradio here quoted him as saying that he would never play for the Patriots again because of the negativity. The Patriots made Gronk a household name and afforded him all these post NFL opportunities that he enjoys today. Poor guy is rich about to become richer and famous thanks to his sentence at Foxboro prison. Brady is driven as much as BB. Brady is a perfectionist every bit the way BB is. Goofy is going to Canton because of them.

The best and lasting sports commentators ride the fence and are objective. Gronk wont be on Fox very long if he continues to open his mouth and let all thats in his head out.

Using my phone so I may have accidentally hit "confused" while scrolling. Changed it!

Edit - I'm starting to realize how often this may happen. If anyone is frustrated by a seemingly random "confused" rating I've given, go ahead and let me know. 99% of the time I probably didn't mean to do it. I avoid negative ratings and instead post disagreements and resort to ratings after.
Sounds like you are confused about how to use your phone at least.

The backlash against Gronk begins. I’ve already seen a few posters writing Brady off as well. Some very fickle and disloyal “fans” on here.

There's a reason he's part of the 6-man pre-game and not Romo in the booth...he's fun though, albeit probably more suited to something like doing spots and pieces on a show like Good Morning Football on NFLN as opposed to game analyst.

But I think predicting his (my?) demise as a tv analyst is premature - at least as long as the Brady & Belichick Pats are part of the dominant class of the NFL, Gronk will be given a platform to opine and comment on it.

The backlash against Gronk begins. I’ve already seen a few posters writing Brady off as well. Some very fickle and disloyal “fans” on here.

Yeah it's pretty sad to me how people are reacting to Gronk. He's not really doing anything differently now than he did when he was playing in terms of his goofiness (e.g. beach music festival). He makes a couple comments about how it was tough to play on the Patriots (which I'm sure was 100% true) while at the same time praising their greatness constantly, and people on here are losing their minds.

Gronk was one of the top five athletes that have brought me the most enjoyment to watch in my life. He was such a dominant force on the field, and fun and charitable off of it. I don't understand how people have forgotten that so quickly and have lost their appreciation for one of the greatest Patriots of all time.

I shudder to think how people will react to Brady on here when he's done.

Dont bad mouth those who got you to the dance.

Yeah it's pretty sad to me how people are reacting to Gronk. He's not really doing anything differently now than he did when he was playing in terms of his goofiness (e.g. beach music festival). He makes a couple comments about how it was tough to play on the Patriots (which I'm sure was 100% true) while at the same time praising their greatness constantly, and people on here are losing their minds.

Gronk was one of the top five athletes that have brought me the most enjoyment to watch in my life. He was such a dominant force on the field, and fun and charitable off of it. I don't understand how people have forgotten that so quickly and have lost their appreciation for one of the greatest Patriots of all time.

I shudder to think how people will react to Brady on here when he's done.
I agree completely. He’s said what Belichick has said in the past “it’s not easy to play for me”. He’s a happy goofball who likes to have fun and that flies in the face of the way Belichick runs the team but they still made it work and each side benefited greatly from the other. Now that he’s retired he’s getting paid to talk about the game and talk specifically about the Patriots. He didn’t say anything out of line.

It’s sad to see some “fans” sour on him so quickly for not disappearing after retirement but with some of the comments I’ve seen about Brady I’m not surprised.

Dont bad mouth those who got you to the dance.
Being a great player yesterday should not give someone immunity from being called out for douchebaggery today.

LOL at people saying he's "badmouthing" the team. Are you kidding me? Badmouthing the team is saying "Bill Belichick is a hack". Badmouthing the team is saying "they're nothing without me".

All the guy is saying is that New England is a tough organization to play for. If I said, "you know, I made great money doing construction, but that was a grueling job -- I don't miss coming home mentally and physically exhausted all day" nobody would bat an eyelash.

Anyway, I'm glad PatsFans.com met its weekly "I need to find something to be offended about"quota. Don't want to lose the Most Sensitive Fans in America title.

Glad he is off the team. Don't let the door hit you in the *** on your way out. Shameful.

Glad he is off the team. Don't let the door hit you in the *** on your way out. Shameful.

This is a shameful post.

Yeah sure would hate to have Gronk on the team instead of the black hole at tight end we currently have....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back