PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great Throwback Photo

OK, so from left to right I believe we have Vernon Lewis (43), Otis Smith (45), Lawyer Milloy (36), Larry Whigham (25), Willy Clay (32), Terry Ray (23), Ricky Reynolds (21), Corwin Brown (30), Ty Law (24), Bill Belichick (obviously), and Michael McGruder (27).

Amazing to think back to how close that 1996 team came to pulling off the upset, save for that kickoff return. If that doesn't happen and Drew isn't forced to drop back on every play and get out of their offense with the way Curtis Martin had run the ball that year (because Reggie White tee'd off on him from there), I liked their chances...even despite the Parcells fiasco :rolleyes:

OK, so from left to right I believe we have Vernon Lewis (43), Otis Smith (45), Lawyer Milloy (36), Larry Whigham (25), Willy Clay (32), Terry Ray (23), Ricky Reynolds (21), Corwin Brown (30), Ty Law (24), Bill Belichick (obviously), and Michael McGruder (27).

Amazing to think back to how close that 1996 team came to pulling off the upset, save for that kickoff return. If that doesn't happen and Drew isn't forced to drop back on every play and get out of their offense with the way Curtis Martin had run the ball that year (because Reggie White tee'd off on him from there), I liked their chances...even despite the Parcells fiasco :rolleyes:
the bomb to freeman in the second quarter was a back breaker in sb31... then drew throws a pick, sets em up on a short field.... the game was over before halftime.

do love the pic though

Last edited:
the bomb to freeman in the second quarter was a back breaker in sb31... then drew throws a pick, sets em up on a short field.... the game was over before halftime.

do love the pic though
That was tough, but they were only down 6 at 27-21 when Martin scored that TD early in the second half. What's crazy is that the defense wasn't playing all that bad in that game. If they get a stop, who knows, it could have gone differently.

But overall, that whole season was a lot of fun, especially the final stretch and the playoffs. I was at that AFC Championship game against Jacksonville and it was insanely cold, couldn't feel my legs on the way back to the car and had pins and needles as they finally woke up on the ride home. But that game was unreal and it was just crazy being there and a really cool experience. Definitely a fun season. :cool:

I still remember the news stories when Jacksonville pulled off the upset over Denver and how the NFL had to scramble because they were completely not prepared to end up in New England for the Championship game. There were so many cool storylines over that period - again, the Parcells thing notwithstanding - I think that was the first time I got caught up in it and I'm sure plenty of others here have some good memories from it as well.

Vernon Lewis...there's a name I hadn't heard in awhile. And don't forget it wasn't Michael McGruder....it was Scooter:)

Also, I seem to remember there being absolutely no adjustments being made to shore up against Reggie's pass rush. Parcells just let Lane get killed and hobbled Drew, in the process.

That 1996 team was MY team! They really captured my attention. That run they made at the end of the season was just amazing! Loved that comeback game vs the Giants!

Last edited:
I agree with Fitzy, these uniforms need to be brought back. Maybe tone down the logos on the shoulders, but the color scheme was beautiful.

That was tough, but they were only down 6 at 27-21 when Martin scored that TD early in the second half. What's crazy is that the defense wasn't playing all that bad in that game. If they get a stop, who knows, it could have gone differently.

But overall, that whole season was a lot of fun, especially the final stretch and the playoffs. I was at that AFC Championship game against Jacksonville and it was insanely cold, couldn't feel my legs on the way back to the car and had pins and needles as they finally woke up on the ride home. But that game was unreal and it was just crazy being there and a really cool experience. Definitely a fun season. :cool:
Game was pretty much over at halftime. Smoked the Jags. My first of so many AFC championship games and wins but who knew that at the time lol such an amazing feeling and I'd like to think I appreciated just as much the last time.

That was a great year to be a Pats fan…even with how everything went down with Tuna and the Super Bowl loss.

It crushed me that Curtis Martin left to the Jets with Parcells. He was one of my favorite players of that era along with Drew and Willie. Had he not left when he did, I think he would have been a Patriots lifer and certainly would have gone down as one of the all time great Patriots…right up there with Brady, Tippett and Hannah.

Oh and a hearty congratulations to Big Sey!!! Truly deserving of his HOF nomination! I have a autographed #93 jersey from when he was signing jerseys at a mid 00s pro bowl event at the Ala Moana mall in Honolulu.

Last edited:
I like these uni's. My first Jersey I got was #24, the Law man, in this uni. I love it, I wear it so often during the season !!

Wow no Big Mac??:(

Reactions: Ian

I was there too! Jambalaya! :D

The replay of Otis Smith's scoop-6 didn't do any justice to how loud Foxboro Stadium really was on that play.

Imagine if the other Bill was the coach.

• Winner
You can almost hear Ace of Bass playing in the background.

• Ha Ha
I believe Belichick was the DB coach that year, so that might be why it's just those guys
Wasn’t he the DC in 96? I can’t remember. Hard to believe that was over 25 years ago…the years start to run together lol! :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back