PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great Throwback Photo

Should have kept running Martin in the second half. He was gashing them. That didn’t need to be a Bledsoe bombs away game.
they were only down 6 at 27-21 when Martin scored that TD early in the second half. What's crazy is that the defense wasn't playing all that bad in that game. If they get a stop, who knows, it could have gone differently.
Epic coaching failure.

Perkins (& apparently Parcells) mesmerized by Bledsoe's passing stats. Unaware of the reality that the kid could throw it, but otherwise did not possess any other attributes (and never developed any). They needed to protect the kid.

And pay attention. Why did the Redskins beat the Dolphins in the Rose Bowl? Because they kept handing the rock off to Riggins (38 carries).

They needed Martin to get at least 25 carries. Minimum. The Donkeys did it with Davis a year later (30 carries) and beat the Pack.

Dropping Bledsoe back to pass was suicide. 4 INT/4 Sacks.

I was there too! Jambalaya! :D

The replay of Otis Smith's scoop-6 didn't do any justice to how loud Foxboro Stadium really was on that play.
They used to play the wizard of oz guards song.

Epic coaching failure.

Perkins (& apparently Parcells) mesmerized by Bledsoe's passing stats. Unaware of the reality that the kid could throw it, but otherwise did not possess any other attributes (and never developed any). They needed to protect the kid.

And pay attention. Why did the Redskins beat the Dolphins in the Rose Bowl? Because they kept handing the rock off to Riggins (38 carries).

They needed Martin to get at least 25 carries. Minimum. The Donkeys did it with Davis a year later (30 carries) and beat the Pack.

Dropping Bledsoe back to pass was suicide. 4 INT/4 Sacks.
The Packers were winning anyway.

Their whole team was pixxed off because through Super Bowl week all anyone wanted to talk about was Parcells quitting.

The Packers were winning anyway.

Their whole team was pixxed off because through Super Bowl week all anyone wanted to talk about was Parcells quitting.
Packers were the better team. Rightly favored.

I watched quite a bit of them, and Howard was a huge weapon. Kicking off to him was stupid.

I can't count how many upsets there've been in all the college and pro sports over the years. Olympics too.

But the underdog team MUST have the better coaching. You can't afford strategic blunders when you're trying to beat someone better than you.

OK, so from left to right I believe we have Vernon Lewis (43), Otis Smith (45), Lawyer Milloy (36), Larry Whigham (25), Willy Clay (32), Terry Ray (23), Ricky Reynolds (21), Corwin Brown (30), Ty Law (24), Bill Belichick (obviously), and Michael McGruder (27).

Amazing to think back to how close that 1996 team came to pulling off the upset, save for that kickoff return. If that doesn't happen and Drew isn't forced to drop back on every play and get out of their offense with the way Curtis Martin had run the ball that year (because Reggie White tee'd off on him from there), I liked their chances...even despite the Parcells fiasco :rolleyes:
And the guy whose lane they ran the KO back through but was inactivated that day was Troy Brown.

One problem with liking their chances though, Max Lane.

Reactions: Ian
DC was Al Groh in 1996.

I read somewhere (that I can't find now)...that Belichick was pissed that Parcells was making no adjustments in the second half, and even more pissed about the kick to Howard.

Packers were the better team. Rightly favored.

I watched quite a bit of them, and Howard was a huge weapon. Kicking off to him was stupid.

I can't count how many upsets there've been in all the college and pro sports over the years. Olympics too.

But the underdog team MUST have the better coaching. You can't afford strategic blunders when you're trying to beat someone better than you.
I have always wondered just how motivated Tuna was to win an NFL World Championship for Kraft.

Parcells could not even wait until the Super Bowl was over before lining up his new job with the Jets. Parcells always ,made it all about Parcells. He loved the stage and drama. The other day my buddy and I were talking about the triggered NFL as it is today. Some of the things that Parcells said in press conferences decades ago would get him removed from his job today. Today, just calling Terry Glenn a "she" would cause a 5hit storm like nobody's ever seen.

Last edited:
Those defenses put together some unbelievable performances in the playoffs. 96 held pitt to 3 points and jax to 6. Then in 97 held miami to 3 and pitt to 7. Not sure ive ever seen a d have 4 single digit pa in the playoffs within a year from the 90s on.

Saw Bledsoe on colin herd show the other day , some really good insight. hed make a great commentary imo.

I have always wondered just how motivated Tuna was to win an NFL World Championship for Kraft.

Parcells could not even wait until the Super Bowl was over before lining up his new job with the Jets. Parcells always ,made it all about Parcells. He loved the stage and drama. The other day my buddy and I were talking about the triggered NFL as it is today. Some of the things that Parcells said in press conferences decades ago would get him removed from his job today. Today, just calling Terry Glenn a "she" would cause a 5hit storm like nobody's ever seen.
I hear from insiders Parcells never accepted or respected Kraft.

This is the happiest I ever saw Bill Parcells:
1644695449124.png
Taken when he was hired.

Two months later, on March 31, 1993, Andre Tippett and Pat Harlow donned the new look at the unveiling of their new logo and uniforms at a news conference held at the Four Seasons Hotel in Boston.

A man walked up to Harlow and inquired, "So, what do you think?"

"It sucks."

The man awkwardly retreated.

Parcells then came over to Harlow and asked, "What did you say to that guy?"

Pat told him. "Why? Who is he?"

"He's the guy who created it."

When asked by the media, Parcells' response was supremely diplomatic. Not exactly "Wow! They're awesome! Can't wait to play in them!"

According to the media, the changes weren't well received by a 'faction' of fans who preferred the traditional "Pat Patriot" logo and primary red home jersey.

This reminds me of the endless diatribe on the left about how Trump represents only a small faction of Republicans.

It's significant that the very first thing Parcells did upon arriving in New York four years later was to notify the league the Jets were restoring their classic uniforms and logo.

Pure speculation on my part:

Parcells was irritated by what Orthwein did but had no say in the matter.

He may have felt the team was about to move to St. Louis anyway.

Eleven months later, Robert Kraft purchased the team from Orthwein -- ensuring the franchise would be staying in New England -- and the two shook hands in front of a backdrop that featured the new logo. A silver Patriots helmet rested on the table in front of them.

For Parcells, while perhaps surprised and glad the team was staying here, it was clear that the replacement uniform was being kept.

And Parcells' first response was that this is not the guy who hired me.

Everywhere Parcells coached, he made it a point to make his players understand, appreciate and respect that franchise's history, heritage and tradition.

The major factor reported about the rift is that Parcells did not have the full management authority he expected. There may have been more to it.

Last edited:
Parcels threw the game. Did not give the ball to the best player on his team. He thought so much of Martin that he stole him from the Pats the year after. I will never forgive Parcels for that game. Martin was a first ballot HOFer. How many touches did he get in that game? NOt nearly enough. Fecking ridiculous.

Changing the double team that was erasing Reggie White in the first half to a 1 on 1 matchup with Max Lane was an interesting move.

Changing the double team that was erasing Reggie White in the first half to a 1 on 1 matchup with Max Lane was an interesting move.
interesting=suicidal

But needed to just hand it off to CM

Our defense did its job

Reactions: Ian

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back