• A - Fantastic effort

Votes: 116 67.8%
  • B - Solid but not especially exciting

Votes: 37 21.6%
  • C - Mediocre

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • D - Poor

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • F - BB has LOST his mind. You spent too much money!! Go Directly to Jail. Do NOT Collect 200!

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • R - Ray Lewis killed a man

Votes: 10 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There are a few simple reasons that the Pats spent so much money in the early part of FA

1. They had the money
2. They NEEDED to improve the roster due to a stretch of bad drafting
3. The combination of the low cap number and the large number of teams in cap trouble created a market where even top of the market deals were relative bargains, and what looks like an overpay now will look pretty good in 2 years.

That's it, folks. If you think any of this was brought on by what happened with Brady then you really haven't been watching this team for the past 20 years....or Bill Bellichick. Tell me, at what point has Bill EVERY been an "all about me guy".....EVER? The fact is NEVER. Has he EVER tooted his own horn or fell into the hype about him being the GOAT...or any of that crap.

These media pukes who bring this petty sh!t up are only doing it because there are no more petty, vindictive, or selfish group of people than the guys who cover professional sports (mke reiss excepted). They think Bill would be petty about Brady's success because THEY sure would be if they'd were in Bill's shoes.

What Bill has been about for 20 years is trying to build the best football team he can, year in and year out. No one understands better about the ups and downs of the NFL life than Bill Bellichick. When Bill makes a bad pick, he doesn't dwell on, he just tries to find out what they missed and try to do better the next time.
I agree, Ken. Thanks for putting it so well.

I'm particularly disappointed in Curran's recent piece. He's really jumped the shark on this whole revenge narrative. He has no evidence this exists. If he does, his piece certainly doesn't present it.

I've listened to his podcasts in the past and he knows how the game is played, how his bread gets buttered. The problem is he tries to play both sides of the street, serious journalist and shock jock all in one, and it doesn't work. He needs to go all in on being a heel if he's going to go there at all, yet he can't seem to convince himself to go into full-on Felger and Mazz mode. He tries to dabble in both, and he comes across as an :eek: because of that.

it's cute that this guy has made a career claiming he understands the game, but really, who is this guy beyond a self created mythological creature......

to further this: he bases all of his "analysis" on the house of cards that is the analytics HE built - every analysis attempts to prop up his math as correct

now, in some instances, his math is a good starting point for discussion, but it is not the be all/end all - buy he acts like it is

to presume that a math major from loyola merrymount who never played the game knows more than NFL coaches and scouts is, well, presumptuous

they assign their grades on what DID happen, not based at all on what was CALLED or SUPPOSED to happen......so it often starts from a flawed premise to begin with......

it's useful for the media, works on some positions better than others, but he's no more an expert on the NFL than any other outsider claiming to have insight.....he just found a novel way to monetize it, and has done that well

There are a few simple reasons that the Pats spent so much money in the early part of FA

1. They had the money
2. They NEEDED to improve the roster due to a stretch of bad drafting
3. The combination of the low cap number and the large number of teams in cap trouble created a market where even top of the market deals were relative bargains, and what looks like an overpay now will look pretty good in 2 years.

That's it, folks. If you think any of this was brought on by what happened with Brady then you really haven't been watching this team for the past 20 years....or Bill Bellichick. Tell me, at what point has Bill EVERY been an "all about me guy".....EVER? The fact is NEVER. Has he EVER tooted his own horn or fell into the hype about him being the GOAT...or any of that crap.

These media pukes who bring this petty sh!t up are only doing it because there are no more petty, vindictive, or selfish group of people than the guys who cover professional sports (mke reiss excepted). They think Bill would be petty about Brady's success because THEY sure would be if they'd were in Bill's shoes.

What Bill has been about for 20 years is trying to build the best football team he can, year in and year out. No one understands better about the ups and downs of the NFL life than Bill Bellichick. When Bill makes a bad pick, he doesn't dwell on, he just tries to find out what they missed and try to do better the next time.
This post is as spot on as any post could be.

The most disappointing part of the mediot's attacks on Bill or Brady, and their relationship, is that it leads people to parrot what they're seeing and hearing. In spite of the nonsense that gets stirred up I doubt that Brady and Belichick are anything but grateful for their time together.

Look at how damaging it was to Brady to have false numbers hanging around for so long during defamegate and to have every media outlet harping on the lies and the negatives. In spite of the fact that there was no evidence of any wrongdoing of any kind, to this day even some of our own fans have doubts.

And look at how much the cheater label was thrown around about Belichick and the Pats over what amounted to a violation of a memo about the location of where teams film coaches signals, something that was done to them weeks before by the team that turned them in.

We also have the grand daddy of them all, the Tomasshole lie about illegal filming a walkthrough prior to the 2001 SB. Even now, 20 years later, after the lie was retracted we still hear the idiots of the world like Marshall Faulk repeating it like it was true.

And now the NYFL uses those fake offenses to double down on penalties to the Pats for any violation, including the loss of a 3rd round pick this year. Meanwhile, real violations by other teams are swept under the rug and get no mention at all.

I'm beyond tired of it all and miss the days of Len Dawson and Nick Buoniconti talking football and showing highlights of games instead of the constant sh!t talking that we have now.

End of rant.

After the first week of free agency...

Nelson Agholor's our #1 WR, with an $11M cap hit...

and Cant Newton's his QB.

After the first week of free agency...

Nelson Agholor's our #1 WR, with an $11M cap hit...

and Cant Newton's his QB.
I think his cap hit is $7M compared to Golladay at $4.5M

I think his cap hit is $7M compared to Golladay at $4.5M
That's just because Golladay's deal is a 4 year one and they can spread the hit over a longer period of time. The Bottom line here is the top receivers in the league, or maybe the top WR deals are in the 17-20MM range. We got our #1 WR (though it needs to proven which Agular we got) for more than a 3rd to a half less per year than the top deals. IF that's an overpay it isn't much of one.

Cry some more....in how many different threads are you going to post the same whine? If you had posted that link, the thread, while unnecessary, would still be active. Instead, you went full d-bag troll.

It's ok. Some BB worshipping mod's got it in for me as everything I write is apparently blasphemy.

It's fine. I hope I am proven wrong and these JAGs we're paying 8 figures a year for turn out to be better than I thought.

That's just because Golladay's deal is a 4 year one and they can spread the hit over a longer period of time. The Bottom line here is the top receivers in the league, or maybe the top WR deals are in the 17-20MM range. We got our #1 WR (though it needs to proven which Agular we got) for more than a 3rd to a half less per year than the top deals. IF that's an overpay it isn't much of one.

"Price is what you pay, value is what you get" Warren Buffett.

It doesn't matter if we paid less than other WRs. What matters is the value we're getting. When we made Brady highest paid QB in the league, or Gronk highest paid TE, we still got good value (actually Gronk was a steal at $9-10m per year).

Nelson looks like bad value for what we're paying for him.

"Price is what you pay, value is what you get" Warren Buffett.

It doesn't matter if we paid less than other WRs. What matters is the value we're getting. When we made Brady highest paid QB in the league, or Gronk highest paid TE, we still got good value (actually Gronk was a steal at $9-10m per year).

Nelson looks like bad value for what we're paying for him.
Would he be a good value if we get 900 yds and 19ypc out of him like the Raiders got? You are complaining because you are looking at him as if he were still playing in Philly. I get that. But the Pats looked at his potential based on the growth he made in LV. Newsflash, players develop even after several years in the league If we get LV production out of him then this was a fair deal for both sides, if we get the Philly version THEN you can say "I told you so". But ONLY then.

Would he be a good value if we get 900 yds and 19ypc out of him like the Raiders got? You are complaining because you are looking at him as if he were still playing in Philly. I get that. But the Pats looked at his potential based on the growth he made in LV. Newsflash, players develop even after several years in the league If we get LV production out of him then this was a fair deal for both sides, if we get the Philly version THEN you can say "I told you so". But ONLY then.
Funny how people are presuming NYG will get prime Golliday even after he has had a five game season due to injury yet won't assume we can't get peak Agholor even after our GOAT coach sees a great fit for him in our offense.

Funny how people are presuming NYG will get prime Golliday even after he has had a five game season due to injury yet won't assume we can't get peak Agholor even after our GOAT coach sees a great fit for him in our offense.
Or the Dolphins will get the pre-PED-bust Fuller for 10-11 million (one year and out) or the pre-PED Fuller.

Not sure what he was popped for, but he got 6 games, which indicates anabolic steroids - and yeah, those drugs can make a monumental difference. Also, he's on a prove-it year, which means the temptation will be there to produce at the very highest level...

Seems a bit risky.

In fairness, Golladay has been consistently good and Agholor has been consistently average.

Agholor signed a 1 yr $1m minimum contract a year ago. Pats didn't want him or care for him then. So basically we're paying him 2yr $26m precisely for his performance in 2020. Not like he was someone we liked for years. I am just saying that he could revert to his mean and 2020 could be an aberration.

Agholor signed a 1 yr $1m minimum contract a year ago. Pats didn't want him or care for him then. So basically we're paying him 2yr $26m precisely for his performance in 2020. Not like he was someone we liked for years. I am just saying that he could revert to his mean and 2020 could be an aberration.
That is a real possibility Biff, but just as there is a distinct possibility that he will revert to his Philly form, there is also a DISTINCE possibility that he wont. Here is the issue. EVERYONE here acknowledges that there is a risk here. But you completely ignore the fact that there is an equal chance that he WILL be the outside/deep threat he was in 2020.

There are no games being played in March. Lets wait at least until the first preseason games before you damned this transaction EVERY FREAKIN'' day, Give it a rest, my friend, you will live longer....and happier. Righteous indignation should be doled out like fine wine.

I went with B.

- Love the upgrades at TE
- Like/am okay with the upgrades at WR

I really wish we would’ve upgraded QB.

After hearing the news of the Sweet Feet & Lawrence Guy re-signings, I am up-dating my off-season grade to a solid C+ with a bullet...

We needed Bill to sign a true starting-caliber 0/1-tech wide-body DT, but that's not happening now...Let's hope quantity > quality...

We still need another starting-caliber DE opposite Judon...

We still need a Will LB...and a CB #4...

The WR signings still Suck...

And there's the whole QB thingy...

Last edited:
to further this: he bases all of his "analysis" on the house of cards that is the analytics HE built - every analysis attempts to prop up his math as correct

now, in some instances, his math is a good starting point for discussion, but it is not the be all/end all - buy he acts like it is

to presume that a math major from loyola merrymount who never played the game knows more than NFL coaches and scouts is, well, presumptuous

they assign their grades on what DID happen, not based at all on what was CALLED or SUPPOSED to happen......so it often starts from a flawed premise to begin with......

it's useful for the media, works on some positions better than others, but he's no more an expert on the NFL than any other outsider claiming to have insight.....he just found a novel way to monetize it, and has done that well
PFF is awful but they are smart.
For 50 years fans have wanted to know how players grade out.
It really has never been done.
PFF comes along and even though they suck out loud, they are providing something people always wanted and since they are the only ones doing it, it doesn’t matter how terrible a job they do.

PFF is awful but they are smart.
For 50 years fans have wanted to know how players grade out.
It really has never been done.
PFF comes along and even though they suck out loud, they are providing something people always wanted and since they are the only ones doing it, it doesn’t matter how terrible a job they do.

they aren't entirely horrible on OL.......not knowing the calls hurts, and at least in the past they downgraded say a guard who pulls and that gap gets shot and provides pressure......but for the most part they're only real advantage over most talking heads is they watch more tape.......they are still guessing, they still have narratives they like to push.....

social media helps them pump their own product, even if its flawed

After hearing the news of the Sweet Feet & Lawrence Guy re-signings, I am up-dating my off-season grade to a solid C+ with a bullet...

We needed Bill to sign a true starting-caliber 0/1-tech wide-body DT, but that's not happening now...Let's hope the quantity overcomes the quality...

We still need another starting-caliber DE opposite Judon...

We still need a Will LB...

The WR signings still Suck...

And there's the whole QB thingy...

careful, you will be attacked for this accurate opinion. BB can do no wrong

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots