Gordon v. Cooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomPatriot

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Here are the stats for each though their first six games with the Pats:

Cooks - 2017 - 24 catches, 41 targets, 472 yards, 2 TDs.

Gordon - 2018 - 22 catches, 38 targets, 396 yards, 2 TDs.

Not comparable as one had a full pre season and the other didn't.

Gordon looks so suited for this Pats offense. Didn't think he'd make that much of an impact so fast! But is it only me or doesn't Gordon look a bit slow?

Gordon looks so suited for this Pats offense. Didn't think he'd make that much of an impact so fast! But is it only me or doesn't Gordon look a bit slow?

I thought he looked a bit faster this game. Maybe starting to get his NFL-level game speed back, bit-by-bit.

There’s no doubt brady and Gordon seem more in sync, especially on the deep throws and the quick slants.

Cooks was better on those outside comeback routes. Timing between brady and Gordon still isn’t quite there on those types of routes.

We haven't had a Big WR like Gordon in a while he looks slow to us but not to CB who has the task. The Defense pays attention to him which opens up thing for others in this Offense.

Last edited:

yes, he looks slow to me as well. Not sure if it's his hammy, time off, not conditioned. His hands and body control though are remarkable.

Gordon, although he doesn't have the speed he used to possess whether that's because of injury or something else, has 10x better hands. It's insane.

Gordon, although he doesn't have the speed he used to possess whether that's because of injury or something else, has 10x better hands. It's insane.

Yup. The point of the thread was to show that their stats are comparable despite Gordon's obstacles. Maybe I should have made that clear. :)

He does. I'm not sure if it's lingering hammy issues or still working on getting into shape after hardly playing for multiple seasons. He was gassed at one point and needing oxygen.

He does. I'm not sure if it's lingering hammy issues or still working on getting into shape after hardly playing for multiple seasons. He was gassed at one point and needing oxygen.

I think the Hammy is definitely playing into the conditioning aspect of it. You have to figure he’s not full go every day in practice due to the injury.

There's probably a little bit of everything at work here. I'd agree that Gordon looks slower partly just because he's a big dude with long strides. I think he's also hesitating a little on some plays because he doesn't have the timing down with Brady 100% on certain routes. He's still getting open plenty, especially considering his size & hands let him win on catches that a smaller guy like Cooks would have zero chance at.

There's probably a little bit of everything at work here. I'd agree that Gordon looks slower partly just because he's a big dude with long strides. I think he's also hesitating a little on some plays because he doesn't have the timing down with Brady 100% on certain routes. He's still getting open plenty, especially considering his size & hands let him win on catches that a smaller guy like Cooks would have zero chance at.

Gordon's height is a definite advantage: Cooks ain't winning any jump balls with his statue. That said love the 2018 Cooks though.

Cooks also had the benefit of training camp which Gordon didn't and Gordon has been dealing with the hammy injury.

Gordon is a better player but his unreliability makes him a less valuable asset

these comparisons are great.

We might compare value. The cost of the players was very different. We even got the 1st we gave up for Cook back after one year.

Don't care. Gordon is here right now, Cooks isn't.

I will say I've noticed Gordon make more tough catches in traffic than Cooks ever seemed able to do. But Cooks has far better breakaway speed so that might balance it out.

It seemed like Gordon was dealing with some kind of nagging injury last night. Dont think it's a hamstring but it looks like something is bothering him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back