PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gordon v. Cooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am happy by the production of Gordon, but I don't like playing this game. Cooks in on track for 1345 yards this year. Does that mean Goff is a better QB than Brady?

We got a good year out of Cooks last year. We got great value in return for trading him. We got Gordon for very little. Let's just be happy for that.

I think Gordon is a better fit. Brady isn’t a great deep ball passer and Gordon is much better at fighting for the 50/50 balls. He is also much more valuable on the slant patterns due to his physicality. I never thought Cooks was a superstar (like many on here did when he was here) and I never thought he was a bust (like many seem to now that he’s gone). I thought he was a solid number two who would end up wanting number one money. Who knows what would’ve happened if him and Edelman were on the field at the same time last year but I was happy to see him get paid and play well so far this year.

One thing we got to remember is Gordon hasn't played any real football for years. He's come into this offensive as basically the #1 Receiver on the outside. It wouldn't surprise me if it takes him the rest of the season to get fully fit again. Which when he does, he's going to be terrifying

I prefer Gordon's play style to Cooks personally. I don't think we need to make it a competition though. I do think Gordon is more likely to make the big play in the big moment. Cooks is more of a home run hitter than Gordon at this point while Gordon is more likely to give you those tough physical yards over the middle.

To me those yards tend to matter and are are most consistently there vs the good Ds.

I really hope Gordon sticks long term, we may have the edge of other teams being hesitant to sign him and Gordon being comfortable here.

In a fully healthy version of the 2017 Pats - with all the backs, Gronk, Edelman/Dola/Hogan - Cooks was an ideal “home run hitter”, or “take the top off” guy that could do considerable damage, perhaps moreso than he did, and he was good here. As gets noted every time we never saw him on the field with Edelman. Gronk/Edelman/Cooks/Dola/White is a pretty uncoverable set, in theory.

Gordon doesnt have Cooks raw speed, but the things he can do that Cooks can’t - mainly contested balls and decisive, physical routes towards the middle like those slants they’ve been working - are probably more important for what this offense needs as it’s evolved so far this year. The play at the end of Rams-Saints, a short out to Cooks from the slot where the corner was physical and broke it up while Cooks looked aimlessly for a flag, was a perfect example of an Edelman/Danny/Welker route that they win all the time with quick twitch speed that Cooks just couldn’t execute. He had no shot on that play. He’s fast, but it doesn’t mean he separates...has good hands but can’t consistently win solo and needs the scheme to get him the space.

If we hadn’t landed Gordon (which was a fortunate coincidence to say the least) I think there’d be a healthy amount of very valid criticism over moving Cooks, particularly combined with letting Dola walk too. So I don’t think we should downplay Cooks to credit Gordon, because if Gordon had just gotten it together to play in CLE they woulda kept him and we’d still be wondering why the hell we let our 2 best WRs from a SB team walk. Understanding it was partly money and we never would have paid him like LA did, it’s not like Bill made the conscious choice to go with Josh Gordon instead. This season could actually be shot because of the Cooks/Amendola decisions if a couple things happened differently.

Here are the stats for each though their first six games with the Pats:

Cooks - 2017 - 24 catches, 41 targets, 472 yards, 2 TDs.

Gordon - 2018 - 22 catches, 38 targets, 396 yards, 2 TDs.

Gordon - 2018 = 23 catches, 413 yards, 3TD

Cooks was good here, but he never made a play to make me yell, "Holy ****!" at my TV. Gordon has done that a couple of times already. His hands can only be described as dead sexy.

I liked cooks, Gordon’s abilities are on a different level

Gordon is a better fit because he's a bigger receiver and has unreal hands. Cooks is a tiny dude and his catch radius isn't very big. I love Cooks and his comeback routes are better than Gordon's by a mile, but Gordon can do more in this offense than Cooks at the moment.

If Gordon had a full training camp with us he'd probably out-perform Cooks at this point. Cooks is still an elite WR, but I'm glad BB traded for Gordon.

It's difficult to compare other than via stats that done tell the entire story.

In GB game he dislocated his finger twice and had to put it back in the socket, that hurts plus he still has a hammy issue. Then how many games has he played the last two years.

I just wish him well with his personal issues and hope for he success.

I am just pleased he is improving with our team and hope that it continues.

Go Pats

I thought cooks got shut down too many times last year by physical corners. The benefit Gordon has over him is his size. he can go up and get those contested balls against tight coverage. Cooks wouldnt really be able to do that

Cooks is more similar to Dorsett then Gordon. He is a speed guy that requires more time for the QB to hit him on the deep crossers and comebacks, Those patterns take alot of time and we like to throw quickly for the most part. Gordon is the big body that can win the quick slant with inside leverage and fight for jump balls two totally different types of Wrs. I think having a Gordon added a tool to the bag we havent had in awhile.

Cooks is more similar to Dorsett then Gordon. He is a speed guy that requires more time for the QB to hit him on the deep crossers and comebacks, Those patterns take alot of time and we like to throw quickly for the most part. Gordon is the big body that can win the quick slant with inside leverage and fight for jump balls two totally different types of Wrs. I think having a Gordon added a tool to the bag we havent had in awhile.

The Pats should be able to sign Dorsett for peanuts he's nothing special but his ceiling should be like a Chris Hogan.

Dude dislocated his finger and still made plays later. I like :).

You didn't like the winner against Houston? That was epic.
I loved it because it was the gamewinner, but the catch itself wasn't all that special. Nice footwork to stay in. I'm still not positive it actually was a completed catch, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes