PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gordon Hayward signing 4 yr max contract with Celtics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd prefer a young Tyson too, but that's not in the cards. Maybe, we'll get a guy like that next draft.

Have you watched any of his performances from the top European league he played in this past season? He looked much quicker than he does now. There could be a lot of reasons for that. I'm not projecting big things for him. Just some rebounding and defensive presence near the hoop in games the Celts are overmatched at the boards. I expect him to play less than five minutes most games and maybe 15 in games against the few teams that still have old fashioned bigs. At least that's what I'm hoping. You very well may be right that he's not good enough, but I need to see him in a better structured NBA to be sure he's not. He was too good this past season in Europe to be pessimistic that he can't compete.

Keep in mind that he's at the tail end of a /very/ long season. He's had no offseason at all.

It's a pet peeve of mine when athletes/celebrities start lecturing "the little people" about political issues. Most of them are not very bright and are out of touch with the rest of us as a result of the isolation that inevitably comes from fame.

Even on the rare occasion where I agree with what they're saying, they usually don't do the argument justice. No matter what their political views are, it's probably best that they just STFU about them IMO.

So easy to be noble and idealistic when you're making 10-20-30-40 million a year.

It's nice to see the "Good guys" bring attention to some issues tho.

His game reminds me of an Eastern European car 30 years behind the times ....no accessories, one gear, spitting out exhaust....clunky

Great analogy. The Trabant. 0-60 never. Not even on a steep hill.

4bd7107e58d400e1fe8561eaa6fb8ba8--campers-social.jpg

I remember Al Jefferson horribly slow as well his first couple of seasons. Once, he caught up mentally, he suddenly looked much quicker. The fact is, unless you are a future hall of famer, 90+% of centers are extremely slow compared to everyone else. They need structure. I'm less confident in Zizic now than I was a week ago, but I am not writing him off either. I still think there's a legitimate chance he can contribute this season at 10-15 minutes a game battling bigs when the rest of the roster is getting dominated on the boards/rebounds.
i'm a baynes guy now anyways so who cares

Don't even remember him. Couldn't have been any worse than Cedrick Shaw or Laurence Maroney for the Pats. Then again, in Maroney's defense, at least he could jump through a minivan.

I'll match that minivan and raise you a mullet

AR-303229999.jpg

I really like the Baynes signing. Between him and Morris the C's have added a lot of toughness or "edge": they didn't have last season. I see them dramatically improving their rebounding this season.

BTW- most of the media are still conceding that Cleveland has a significant gap over the C's. I don't see it. Yes their top 3 is better than our top 3, BUT its still a 5 man game and the C's look to be likely to be deeper and more versatile than the Cav's, which should close that gap considerably. Of course that will all depend on how quickly Brown and Tatum develop and how fast Stephans is able to integrate all the new pieces into a smoth operating team.

Bottom line: Since 2010 I've been just a casual C's fans after decades of being a close follower. But how can anyone NOT be excited about the future for this team when you concider the talent that exists now and the fact is they are likely to have at least one top 5 pick in each of the next 2 years. As well as having a myriad of other first round picks to use as leverage.

I heard one basketball guy put into a really interesting perspective. The C's have a 3-4 window with a "big three" of Thomas, Haywood, and Horford. And just about the time THAT window will be closing, the Brown, Tatum, and whomever all those lottery picks bring (either in deals, or bodies) will be coming into their own "big three".

So what Danny has done is to build a team that is likely to be competing for at LEAST a conference title every year for the next decade. What more can a fan want.

His game reminds me of an Eastern European car 30 years behind the times ....no accessories, one gear, spitting out exhaust....clunky
You have only yourself to blame for buying that Yugo.

Yeah as it is very important over to that of Team Work!

I really like the Baynes signing. Between him and Morris the C's have added a lot of toughness or "edge": they didn't have last season. I see them dramatically improving their rebounding this season.

BTW- most of the media are still conceding that Cleveland has a significant gap over the C's. I don't see it. Yes their top 3 is better than our top 3, BUT its still a 5 man game and the C's look to be likely to be deeper and more versatile than the Cav's, which should close that gap considerably. Of course that will all depend on how quickly Brown and Tatum develop and how fast Stephans is able to integrate all the new pieces into a smoth operating team.

Bottom line: Since 2010 I've been just a casual C's fans after decades of being a close follower. But how can anyone NOT be excited about the future for this team when you concider the talent that exists now and the fact is they are likely to have at least one top 5 pick in each of the next 2 years. As well as having a myriad of other first round picks to use as leverage.

I heard one basketball guy put into a really interesting perspective. The C's have a 3-4 window with a "big three" of Thomas, Haywood, and Horford. And just about the time THAT window will be closing, the Brown, Tatum, and whomever all those lottery picks bring (either in deals, or bodies) will be coming into their own "big three".

So what Danny has done is to build a team that is likely to be competing for at LEAST a conference title every year for the next decade. What more can a fan want.

Yup, to a lesser degree for sure, he's doing what Red had lined up in the 80s.

Built a monster in the 80s with the real Big 3, DJ, Walton, Ainge, etc and had the future lined up to continue the run with Len Bias and Reggie Lewis.

The amount of rings the Celtics missed on with the passing of Bias still hurts. He was an absolute monster

I've watched Zizic twice now and I dont project him to be able to match up physically with the big boys. He also looks slow as hell.

If he gives them 15-20 quality minutes I'll be a pleasant surprise.

They need a young Tyson Chandler.

Thought I was the only who realized that dude looks like crap against borderline NBA players. I think Zizic's time in the NBA is going to be short lived Fab Melo Pt.II.:rolleyes:

Golden State have have shown you don't need a Good/Great Big to win anymore you can do it with good/great interchangeable wing players.

Thought I was the only who realized that dude looks like crap against borderline NBA players. I think Zizic's time in the NBA is going to be short lived Fab Melo Pt.II.:rolleyes:
I'm not hopeful but you never know.

I'm not hopeful but you never know.
I will say this about the Croatian Snowplow......he has incrementally improved each game this summer. Baby steps
Game 1 in Salt Lake.....he resembled an arthritic baby giraffe fresh from the womb. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt given the new environment and the altitude effects.
Game 5 in Vegas....movement was much more fluid, speed was considerably faster, plus the coaches have incorporated him a bit more which has been more pleasing to the eye.
Issues that continue to bug me: He doesn't jump. He can't shoot free throws. Still reminds me of a 60's player.

Should have hung around for the third time.

Brad Stevens chimes in on the young guys

On Zizic...."it’s hard to come in and all of a sudden you’ve been a roller and a post player your whole life, and we’re throwing you the ball at 27 feet and trying to be Al Horford. That’s not who he is, nor will we ask him to be that.”

“He’s getting more comfortable every day, (but) I think he looks gassed, personally,” Stevens said. “His long year (playing in Europe) ended June-whatever . . . and he traveled over here on the 26th and started practice. I think he’ll benefit more from the next month than anybody else on our team.”

On Ojeleye..."So his flexibility defensively is going to be enormous....I mean, I think that he will compete to be one of our better defenders right out of the gate.”

He talks Tatum and Brown as well.

Bulpett: Brad Stevens impressed by Celtics' summer league play

Brad Stevens chimes in on the young guys

On Zizic...."it’s hard to come in and all of a sudden you’ve been a roller and a post player your whole life, and we’re throwing you the ball at 27 feet and trying to be Al Horford. That’s not who he is, nor will we ask him to be that.”

“He’s getting more comfortable every day, (but) I think he looks gassed, personally,” Stevens said. “His long year (playing in Europe) ended June-whatever . . . and he traveled over here on the 26th and started practice. I think he’ll benefit more from the next month than anybody else on our team.”

On Ojeleye..."So his flexibility defensively is going to be enormous....I mean, I think that he will compete to be one of our better defenders right out of the gate.”

He talks Tatum and Brown as well.

I'm intrigued by Ojeleye. I read this yesterday. Validates what little ive seen of him in the summer league.

The guy is a beast. Quick and very physical.

NBA Draft 2017: Semi Ojeleye isn't a star prospect, but he can be a star in his role

I'm intrigued by Ojeleye. I read this yesterday. Validates what little ive seen of him in the summer league.

The guy is a beast. Quick and very physical.

NBA Draft 2017: Semi Ojeleye isn't a star prospect, but he can be a star in his role
His 3 point stroke is NBA ready.
Being 22 ( 2 years @Duke / 1 @ SMU), he is more refined than most summer leaguers so the question going forward is "upside."
He's listed at 6'7 but looks smaller in HD.
He's definitely not just a roster filler like Hunter or Young...body built for battle / shooting proficiency required in today's NBA

On another topic....Josh Jackson looks to be the real deal with nightly stats that I expected from this athletic, physical, determined forward. Tonight...21 pts 15 rebounds ...9/17 shooting....no 3s. A Draymond Green type player.
Right now....I'm labeling Tatum ....finesse ....and Jackson ......physical.
We'll see what these two look like a few years from now

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes