PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodbye Isaiah Wynn...Glad to see you go

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think until last year Wynn was an average LT and the whole seemingly insane switching tackles just ****ed both tackles completely but Wynn is now a lost cause. I will never understand why they were switched or the refusal to switch them back when it was obvious it wasn't working
If you believe PFF, Brown graded out as above-average in pass blocking last year.

I thought he was inconsistent last year.

If you believe PFF, Brown graded out as above-average in pass blocking last year.

I thought he was inconsistent last year.
Then i don't believe PFF. Wasn't our O line ranked 6th best last year by PFF at one point? That either means that PFF is ******** or there are some pretty shocking o lines in the league at the moment.

Its certainly a headscratcher what happened to this fella. He seemed like he has the talent. I wonder how injured he really was through first couple seasons, or if he doesnt care very much.

It is possible that football WAS important to someone and they lost interest in football after making millions. In other words, his dream was to play in the NFL not because he loved football, but loves money. Football could have NEVER been important but he said all the right things in interviews...
He blew his Achilles the first year, 2018. That's kind of injured. That's really just bad luck - Achilles, ACL, see ya next year, maybe.
2019 was pock-marked with turf toe. It is what it is. We've seen teh same thing with otehr players. He was back and forth and missed half the season, but played pretty well when he was in there.
He was leading the team in snaps, other than QB, in 2020 through week 10, when he got rolled up against the Texans - he had started the game on a bad ankle to begin with. They said at the time that he had avoided a major injury, but... Maybe they just IR'd him at that point because his injury was knee/ankle and by the time he might have come back, it was pretty clear that they weren't going anywhere anyway.

He played 16 games in 2021, but missed the Buffalo playoff game (along with a lot of other starters).
So yeah, the guy has been in the tub a lot, but the first I've heard of any issues with his attitude was this year. Flipping him and Trent Brown might have been the dumbest thing of all in 2022. It cost Wynn a ton of money with his first big contract coming up and it showed in the play of both tackles.

I'm not excusing him, this tweet was dumb, really dumb. Self-inflicted wound. He's going to have a market, though.

PS. The salary guys are predicting him between $10+ - 15/per and the Steelers, at least, tried to trade for him previously according to some reports.
If a team is convinced that the Pats broke the guy last year with the move and that he can indeed play at LT, he's going to get paid.

Last edited:
Then i don't believe PFF. Wasn't our O line ranked 6th best last year by PFF at one point? That either means that PFF is ******** or there are some pretty shocking o lines in the league at the moment.
Nor should you.

PFF is a data point. Nothing more. PFF doesn't include context.

What I saw from T Brown was a stretch of really good games and a stretch of not very good games.

I do think until last year Wynn was an average LT and the whole seemingly insane switching tackles just ****ed both tackles completely but Wynn is now a lost cause. I will never understand why they were switched or the refusal to switch them back when it was obvious it wasn't working
I think it’s likely they felt more comfortable with Brown’s size and babysitting abilities for the rookie LG. You’re right, tho. It backfired.

Esp with Wynn who wasn’t happy being moved. Undersized, not smart, and a me-first attitude.

In hindsight not a good pick.

If he wants to, he can carve himself a niche. He has good technical ability.

Hopefully the 2021 and 2022 first round picks (Mac Jones ) break the curse . 2012 was the last year we picked an impact player in the first round . ( Chandler Jones + high tower)

After that it's either bust or below average players . Mac and strange jury is still out. This is possibly the highest we are drafting in 2 decades . Need to make it count if we have an all pro talent at 14. I hope 4 QBs go in top 10. Also 2-3 wideouts, so that we can get the best OT/CB available. If we draft a safety at 14 , i give up...

Wynn sounds very confident like man who invested well off his Patriots earnings. Wynn got something for doing absolutely nothing: I think if BB could go back in time he would pass on that Fifth year option. :rolleyes:

Wynn is interesting too because I think he was a highly endorsed Scarnecchia guy (at least after the draft, can't remember if we heard rumblings that he was Scar's choice pre-draft or not). And we all know how highly regarded Scar is, not only around here but across the league. So it either means Wynn was a good choice that had some bad luck, that the draft is a true crapshoot or that even the best in the business get it wrong sometimes.

Wynn sounds very confident like man who invested well off his Patriots earnings. Wynn got something for doing absolutely nothing: I think if BB could go back in time he would pass on that Fifth year option. :rolleyes:
Not to mention putting in the card for Lamar Jackson as the 23rd pick!

Sony Michel was an impact player. They don't win a Super Bowl without him.
I beg to differ . I think with the offensive line we had, we might have won with a decent RB. He is an okay player . But not somebody to be happy with for a first round pick . He is the best of the worst from 2013 to 2021 first round picks. That I can agree.

Wynn is interesting too because I think he was a highly endorsed Scarnecchia guy (at least after the draft, can't remember if we heard rumblings that he was Scar's choice pre-draft or not). And we all know how highly regarded Scar is, not only around here but across the league. So it either means Wynn was a good choice that had some bad luck, that the draft is a true crapshoot or that even the best in the business get it wrong sometimes.
I think the phrase that Scar used to describe Wynn's play last season was that he was in the twilight zone. That could be looked at as a knock on the coaching or the player.

Just to play a little bit the devil advocate here.

We can’t use the excuse of the coaches to dismiss the bad year Mac had because we want Mac to be good and completely ignoring it with Wynn.

Switching sides for a tackle is not a simple thing if you never done it. Lazar pointed out all year long that that Wynn had trouble adjusting to the right side and that his footwork was all messed up because of it. Wynn had never played on the right side in his career and with this coaching staff you basically asked Wynn to be an autodidact.

And if you add to that the mental thing about Wynn probably thinking that Bill was trying to screw him over one year before free agency. you have the same problem happening on the other side where Brown probably think Bill sign him to RT money but instead to play him at LT.

I am not trying to excuse Wynn because I don’t think he is a great player but I think he was a serviceable LT when he was not injured. Wynn and the line would have been better with Wynn at LT last year.

Last edited:
I think the phrase that Scar used to describe Wynn's play last season was that he was in the twilight zone. That could be looked at as a knock on the coaching or the player.

Yeah, sorry, I meant the endorsement that Scar gave him while he was still his OL coach (which admittedly is not without it's own bias). I can't think of anyone who defended his 2022 season. And you're right, whether it was him, the coaching, or both (my guess), is open to debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes