PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good, comprehensive take on Solder's possible retirement after 2017 by Bedard

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's too many reasons other than underperforming why a contract won't be extended/renewed for you to say this as a blanket statement.

Indeed, we don't know what really happened behind close door. But given that Googe didn't do any lateral move to another team (even a college team), I think it's a fair assumption.

Not offering someone another contract when their contract expires is not firing them.
Saying you think it's equivalent does not make it the same thing.
Acting like I am wrong to use proper definitions of words is your problem.

I agree with you that injuries had decimated the OL and even the receiving core. However, Googe was pretty much fired. If you listened to Matt LIght talking about the AFC Championship game, he complained that the snap count was obvious and the defense was timing the snap perfectly. No adjustments were made to the snap count. He was incredulous when talking about it. Bush league.

This again ? Are you 5 year old or what ?

I used the definition. I even put it in a post for all to see. You choose to ignore the definition, and go by your own which you didn't provided.
You posted the definition of the word and what happened doesn't meet that definition.
For the last time. If you are not under contract you cannot be fired.

I understand you hate the guy and think that calling it fired sounds worse than saying his contract was not renewed. What you should be argue is that not renewing his contract is just as bad as firing him but instead you want to make up what didn't happen so it sounds worse.
You should try listening more and bombasting less.

The Parcells comparison is plain stupid, first because he was still technically under contract for the Patriots (thus the 4 draft picks compensation) and second because he chose to move on. Obviously, Googe didn't chose to become unemployed and having to get a job at a lower level than what he had with the Pats.
He chose to sign a 2 year contract. He did not renew that contract. You have no idea whether he wanted another contract or not. Signing a new contract is a mutual effort.

Don't like parcells I'll give you a different example that happened at the same time.
Patrick graham. Was supposed to be the heir apparent to Matty P. After 2015 the patriots did not renew his contract and he went to the giants. Was he fired? Then how about pepper Johnson? He wasn't renewed and went to the bills. Was he fired?

But again, that's what Andy does when the basis of his argument is exposed.
'my argument with you is SOLELY that you are misusing the word. I may think he deserved to not come back even more than you do. That doesn't mean I have to lie about the fact that his ****ract was not renewed which is by definition not being fired.

You play with words, and then you attack these words to change the narrative.
On the contrary. You are playing games with words and I am calling you out on it. I did nothing to change the narrative. Nowhere at all have I said the fact that his contract wasn't renewed reflects any better upon him than if he were fired. I am simply correcting your misuse of the word and frankly only doing so because you are being such a **** about it.
Googe was a bad hire. He wasn't a good coach, Belichick realized it was a mistake and moved one. You are trying to defend the indefensible, then you got stuck on someone using the term 'being fired' because it didn't fit your narrative.
Whether he was fired or his contract not renewed has nothing to do with my "narrative" about goog. It has a lot at this point to do with my narrative about your ignorance though.

I'm not willing to say he was a bad hire. Because we don't know what the alternatives were. I do not think we would have done better than winning one SB and getting to an AFCCG had we hired someone else unless somehow that coach knew how to prevent OL from being injured.
If the results could not have been better I cannot call it a bad hire.
I am happy we moved in from him. I am thrilled Dante came back and I hope next time he leaves we hire a coach who fits better with our staff.

One of the great strength of Belichick is that he doesn't let his ego affect his decisions.
An assumption but whether true or not irrelevant to our discussion.

'M He hired Googe, gave him a 2-year contract like he does with most entry-level coaches, realized it wasn't working, and moved on. I don't know why you try to defend Belichick's decision to hire Googe when his own actions tell us he realized his mistake and moved on.
Now you can see why it is wrong to say he was fired because you just described what happened.
I'm not defending anything. I am disputing that not renewing a contract means he was conceding he made a mistake. I dispute that because we do not know what alternatives he had. We do not know what went wrong. We do not know what would have happened if Dante didn't want to come back.
I am disputing the characterization that he botched the hiring for the same reasons plus the fact that the results were fine.

The line was a disaster early in 2014,

And we win the SB. Does the coach get no credit for the improvement?
Was his coaching in 2014 successful?

and it became a disaster again in 2015. You are using injuries as an excuse, but injuries never were such a problem with Scar as it became under Googe.
They weren't? We never had OL issues under scar when there were injuries? Really. You have a very selective memory.

In 2010 for example, the Pats were down to their 3rd center when Nick McDonald got to start. The line didn't crumble the way it did in 2015.
You men the year we lost at home to the jets in the divisional round? How did the 2015 OL do in the divisional round? How did the 2016?

Under Scar, the starting center never hinted the snap the way Stock did in the AFC Championship. For a coach not to be able to correct one of his player giving telling signs is incompetence.
Ok so now we want to introduce ignorance into the argument.
Let's do it this way.
When you have a silent count how does that offense know when the silent count will be?
I'll answer for you. There is a trigger. In this case the trigger was stork. Please explain to me how the OL coach is at fault because the Oc chose the c to bob his head as the trigger.
Then there is a snap count. A lengthy if time (a silent cadence) after that. You want to blame the OL coach because the oc and QB called most plays on "set hut" because the OC chose head bob from the c for "set". So if he had chosen Brady lifting and stomping his foot the the OL coach would have done a better job?

The rotation of players didn't work out either.
Huh? rotating the young players was a god send when everyone was hurt, because that gave them experience.
Dante has rotated OL many times to as well.

And the cherry on top of all this, was the 20 hits on Brady in Googe last game. Brady is constantly among the QB with the fastest decision-making (with the ball being thrown under 2.3 seconds), yet he took the most hit in a single game in the NFL in the past 10 years.
So should Dante have been fired after 2007 when the OL/giants pas rush caused the greatest skill position offense ever to lose and score only 14 points while Brady was hit all day long?

And it doesn't matter that coaching a unit where you start with 9 players you are now dealing with:
LT out for year
RT barely capable of playing and has to play LT
Backup RT had foot injury and limited mobility
RG out for season second choice in IR third choice a rookie
C missed first half of season and would never pass another NFL physical
LG scrub
That had nothing to do with it right?

Googe was bad, Belichick realized it and moved on. It's been 2 years since, and Googe is not in the NFL anymore. It's a dead giveway Googe just wasn't good.
I have not said he was good.
I said the job got done, hiring him was not a disaster, and his contract was not renewed which is not being fired.
You seem to want to ignore facts and take this argument of goog sucks so therefore anything I want to say about him is true. It's ignorant.

I agree with you that injuries had decimated the OL and even the receiving core. However, Googe was pretty much fired. If you listened to Matt LIght talking about the AFC Championship game, he complained that the snap count was obvious and the defense was timing the snap perfectly. No adjustments were made to the snap count. He was incredulous when talking about it. Bush league.
The snap count is not the OL coaches job. Light never said it was either.

The only thing the OL had to do with a silent snap count is if one of them is the trigger.

The OC is responsible for silent snap counts. That is blatantly clear.

A silent snap count means there is a trigger and then everyone on offense says the snap count in their head.

The trigger can be anything you choose. The QB lifting and stomping his foot (like sending a guy in motion) is a popular one. Somebody has the lg smack the center. I suppose you could use a number in the play clock.

In this case josh chose that the trigger would be stork lifts his head. This makes sense because the one guy you need to make sure is on right cadence is the center.

How in the world is it the OL coach or storks fault if the snap count after his trigger was called the same all day?

To equate to a verbal snap count the verbal is set, hut, hut, hut and the okay is called on 1 2 or 3.
Stork head bob is simply the replacement for SET. then the ball us snapped x number of beats after SET.
It is just crazy to think the c or OL coach is responsible for the snap count.

Another method is also to alter the trigger. That is not the ol coaches job either.

there is no way you can put that issue in stork or the OL coach. Obviously you wouldn't of it were a verbal snap count that was on one all day long so you can't blame the trigger for the snap count chosen.

He could have written that article without talking to Solder. "The way he looked in the air told me he was ready to retire."

He could have written that article without talking to Solder. "The way he looked in the air told me he was ready to retire."
Yeah, basically this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back