PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Going to Pittsburgh Game - How to Sit with Pats Not Steelers Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

QB12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So my son and I are flying from Texas to Pittsburgh for the December 17 showdown. Need 2 tickets. Is there a designated visitor section at Heinz Field? How can I be assured of sitting with other Pats fans?

So my son and I are flying from Texas to Pittsburgh for the December 17 showdown. Need 2 tickets. Is there a designated visitor section at Heinz Field? How can I be assured of sitting with other Pats fans?
You can’t be assured at all, as there’s no designated section, but there will still be about 15- 20 percent Pats fans.

Tix are getting pricey. I haven’t missed a game at Heinz in awhile, but this may be my first absence since ‘04. When I checked last night, any reasonable seats worth a damn were around 400 apiece.

I wore Pats gear there at the AFCCG years ago and had no problem. Just be respectful and you'll be fine. Steelers fans are old-school passionate but not chippy punks looking to make trouble. And no, there is no such thing in any NFL stadium as a designated visitor section.

Just be respectful and you'll be fine. Steelers fans are old-school passionate but not chippy punks looking to make trouble.
Good advice about being respectful, but I’d have to guess that they’ve grown a bit more butthurt over the past 13 years since you’ve been there. They have become a bit obsessed with NE, Brady, BB, and the fact that they “cheat” in every way imaginable. I’d guess that the latest saga of deflategate ******** had something to do with that, as did one more AFCCG victory last season.

In other words, they’re definitely more chippier than they were back in ‘04, and probably by a decent margin.

Good advice about being respectful, but I’d have to guess that they’ve grown a bit more butthurt over the past 13 years since you’ve been there. They have become a bit obsessed with NE, Brady, BB, and the fact that they “cheat” in every way imaginable. I’d guess that the latest saga of deflategate ******** had something to do with that, as did one more AFCCG victory last season.

In other words, they’re definitely more chippier than they were back in ‘04, and probably by a decent margin.
You might be right that things have changed. I just remember them being OK when I was there and I was impressed by how passionate they were (and how loud they were when the Pats had the ball). I suppose it helped matters that the Pats got out to a big lead and controlled the game. I remember after that game a Steelers fan walked up to me and said, "Beat the Eagles." That was kind of cool.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. Recommendations needed for:

1. Hotel near/convenient to stadium;
2. Getting from Pitt airport to hotel (rail, Uber, etc?)
3. Pittsburgh Pats fans party Saturday night?

Thanks again

Parmattis Brothers? You mean Primanti Brothers don't you, Triumph?

Horseshit

This is America. Wear what you want where you want.
Yeah, but if you want to reduce your chances of being set upon by drunken Pittsburgh fans, DO NOT WEAR PATS GEAR. It's common sense...especially if going to the game with a little kid

Yeah, but if you want to reduce your chances of being set upon by drunken Pittsburgh fans, DO NOT WEAR PATS GEAR. It's common sense...especially if going to the game with a little kid

You may be right, but what’s the point of going to a game without pats gear?

You might be right that things have changed. I just remember them being OK when I was there and I was impressed by how passionate they were (and how loud they were when the Pats had the ball). I suppose it helped matters that the Pats got out to a big lead and controlled the game. I remember after that game a Steelers fan walked up to me and said, "Beat the Eagles." That was kind of cool.

Did you end up beating the Eagles?

Likely not going to see many Patriots fans in Pittsburgh. Furthermore, Pittsburgh is one of the rare stadiums that you barely see opposing fans.

I'd recommend not going. Chances are you'll get confronted.

71zFspYku-L._SL1369_.jpg

You may be right, but what’s the point of going to a game without pats gear?
It's a question of personal safety, especially if you have a kid. I have horror stories from friends who've taken their kids to see the Pats at Buffalo, and I can't imagine Pittsburgh being any different or better...I say why put a target on your back. It's not stuff that happens during the game, it's the crap walking out of the stadium, in the parking lot after the game - little kids having beer thrown at them, bottles thrown at them, getting pushed down, trampled, etc...just not a good scene...I'm speaking as a Dad who'd bring my 12 year old, but even if I was going with a group of my buddies I still wouldn't wear Pats gear...

Unlike some other cities, Uber works very well from and to the PIT airport.

For food snobs such as myself, the restaurant Meat & Potatoes is fantastic.

It's a question of personal safety, especially if you have a kid. I have horror stories from friends who've taken their kids to see the Pats at Buffalo, and I can't imagine Pittsburgh being any different or better...I say why put a target on your back. It's not stuff that happens during the game, it's the crap walking out of the stadium, in the parking lot after the game - little kids having beer thrown at them, bottles thrown at them, getting pushed down, trampled, etc...just not a good scene...I'm speaking as a Dad who'd bring my 12 year old, but even if I was going with a group of my buddies I still wouldn't wear Pats gear...
My strategy for away games is to wear Pats gear underneath another layer. I always show my colors during the game, but like you I'm concerned about what could happen in the parking lot after the game by some drunken sore loser(s), so I cover it up on the way out.

My strategy for away games is to wear Pats gear underneath another layer. I always show my colors during the game, but like you I'm concerned about what could happen in the parking lot after the game by some drunken sore loser(s), so I cover it up on the way out.
Bring a handgun into the game with you. Problem solved. ;)

Yah, at San Diego in 2002 we lost to LT & crew and I got run out of the stadium.
I admit, I was running off my mouth in the mens room and sorta earned it.
Fortunately back then I was very fast.

I would not wear Pats gear in hostile territory with a kid in tow. Agree with parking lot exit.

Kudos to Gillette fans who when we somehow lost to the Panthers last fall, (I was @ the game) treated those very few Panther fans well.

In my experience of watching the Patriots and other Boston sports teams on the road if you are nice and respectful and don't run your mouth most of the time you will be fine. Wearing a jacket over your Pats gear pre and post game is always a good idea. I have never gone to Pittsburgh for a game but have gone to NY for a Jets and Patriots game and had no problems, some people will give you a hard time but it is what it is. Have fun and be safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back