PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

GOAT FACTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
God why is Staubach so underrated still? What a damn beast. You hear Montana a lot but Staubach needs to be in the same conversation as Montana IMO.

Also I think your rankings are a little unfair to Bart Starr with this system. You are getting him on the downslop of his career too much due to when he played.

It's possible that Staubach doesn't get as much love due to his slight lack of longevity. Granted, he made the playoffs every year he started but he only started for 8 seasons. He's one of my favorites though.

As for Starr or any of the other very early players (pre SB) the system I used was slightly skewed in their favor due to the fact that there were no 1 or 2 point rounds for them. If they made the playoffs they received a minimum of 3 or 4 points. It's why I left Otto Graham off the list entirely. From 1946 to 1955 he made 42 points (seven 5's and three 4's). In only 3 of those years did it require more than one game to win it all.

Isn't the average NFL career 4 years? He did double that.

It's possible that Staubach doesn't get as much love due to his slight lack of longevity. Granted, he made the playoffs every year he started but he only started for 8 seasons. He's one of my favorites though.

Part of that arises from the 4-year Navy commitment he fulfilled, so he should get somewhat of a pass for that.

It's like Ted Williams in the Marines-- if you factor in what he would have done in those prime years, yikes...

Isn't the average NFL career 4 years? He did double that.

That's a bogus stat that is often quoted. It includes all the players who go to training camp but never even make an NFL 53-man roster during the season.

For those who actually make a 53-man roster, the average career is just over 6 years.

That's a bogus stat that is often quoted. It includes all the players who go to training camp but never even make an NFL 53-man roster during the season.

For those who actually make a 53-man roster, the average career is just over 6 years.

Average NFL career length | Statistic

QB's - according to the NFLPA - 4.4 years.

Either way, an 8 year career, while maybe on the low end, is enough for HoF consideration. Especially if the individual truly excels for those 8 years.

All that said - no HoF selection class is valid until Gino Cappelletti is enshrined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes