PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

GM LOUNGE

Given the recent gap in the signings, I suspect they are focused on extending Gilmore if they can before committing any more cap dollars to free agents. They may also be trying to make trades to acquire some draft capital for players they want to move on from.

Our beloved @Miguel was on the "Locked on Patriots" Podcast on 4/2 and 4/3. He has some good info on the Cap situation..

(P.S. Not sure what I expected Miguel to sound like, but he sounded like a Southie Version of Marlon Brando from "The Godfather" LOL)
]

Given the recent gap in the signings, I suspect they are focused on extending Gilmore if they can before committing any more cap dollars to free agents. They may also be trying to make trades to acquire some draft capital for players they want to move on from.
They're also probably trying to remain cap-flexible to prevent another team from causing a scramble for JC Jackson by front-loading a mediocre deal New England couldn't match.

Having $12m available protects against that scenario.

After Jackson clears/is matched, they'll move on to Gilmore's situation on way or the other, I expect, and see where they land.

There are a couple of FAs still out there that I think would help, but given how many tough cuts BB is already going to have to make, maybe they think differently.

EDGE INTERMEZZO

Ill return to the thread in the next days with a few draft related topics.

This was interesting from todays Reiss QHs - sine we discussed edge and specifically DE depth at length and Wino was surprisingly sort of an afterthought to some people..

3. Winovich's weight: Third-year outside linebacker Chase Winovich shared behind-the-scenes insight with Patriots season-ticket members last week on his offseason goal to gain weight. Winovich said a meeting with former Patriots outside linebacker Rob Ninkovich inspired him to do so. Listed on the team's roster at 6-foot-3 and 250 pounds, Winovich relayed that he has hired a personal chef to help him reach his goal. Of Ninkovich, who advised a weight of 260 to help him set the edge, Winovich said: "I looked him in the eyes and said, 'I'm going to get my weight right.' That dude's words get me fired up."

EDGE INTERMEZZO

Ill return to the thread in the next days with a few draft related topics.

This was interesting from todays Reiss QHs - sine we discussed edge and specifically DE depth at length and Wino was surprisingly sort of an afterthought to some people..

3. Winovich's weight: Third-year outside linebacker Chase Winovich shared behind-the-scenes insight with Patriots season-ticket members last week on his offseason goal to gain weight. Winovich said a meeting with former Patriots outside linebacker Rob Ninkovich inspired him to do so. Listed on the team's roster at 6-foot-3 and 250 pounds, Winovich relayed that he has hired a personal chef to help him reach his goal. Of Ninkovich, who advised a weight of 260 to help him set the edge, Winovich said: "I looked him in the eyes and said, 'I'm going to get my weight right.' That dude's words get me fired up."

Good...This is where Wino needs to be, stouter and on the Defensive End of the LOS...Not in the flats with coverage responsibilities, where he has neither the experience, instincts nor lateral abilities...He ain't no Hightower, KVN or Jamie Collins in that regard, not that they're great in coverage themselves or anything either, but still...

Good...This is where Wino needs to be, stouter and on the Defensive End of the LOS...Not in the flats with coverage responsibilities, where he has neither the experience, instincts nor lateral abilities...He ain't no Hightower, KVN or Jamie Collins in that regard, not that they're great in coverage themselves or anything either, but still...

Winovich should be hiring nichovich to teach him how to succeed in our defense.

Winovich should be hiring nichovich to teach him how to succeed in our defense.
I'm just happy to hear that he's listening to one of the great success stories here - that he wants to succeed.

I don't think it will hurt him with BB when coach knows he's working on getting it right.

As predicted earlier in the thread Patriots asked for and got roster exemption for Jakub Johnson
83 players on the roster incl Chung who will retire presumably after June 1.
Plenty of space on the roster. Strangley enough no (reported) UDFA signings yet.

Note that there are rumours the League could limit TC rosters to 80 again.
There will be some more vets added (some Pats FAs still out there as well)
Still id expect some rookie or sophomore FAs to be added as well to compete for PS.

With loaded roster, limited offseason and possible roster limitations they might prefer the (also limited) tryout route or add some released sophomore/PS players from their previous season and from other teams that are starting releasing them . so that they have more experienced bottom of the roster in TC..

Last edited:
As mentioned earlier in the thread Patriots asked and got roster exemption for Jakub Johnson
Plenty of space on the roster. Strangley enough no (reported) UDFA signings yet.

Still id expect some rookie or sophomore FAs to be added as well to compete for PS.

With loaded roster, limited offseason and possible roster limitations they might prefer the (also limited) tryout route or add some released sophomore/PS players from their previous season and from other teams that are starting releasing them . so that they have more experienced bottom of the roster in TC..

Welp, guess I was wrong earlier in the thread, another spot could be useful though so I'm not mad.

As predicted earlier in the thread Patriots asked for and got roster exemption for Jakub Johnson

Does that count for the 53, too? If so, Dalton Keene and Vitale are both nodding hopefully.

(I still prefer Ring's notion of playing a true fullback with Stevenson!)

Does that count for the 53, too? If so, Dalton Keene and Vitale are both nodding hopefully.

(I still prefer Ring's notion of playing a true fullback with Stevenson!)

No, just the PS later on.

I argued here before for an upgrade at FB. Ben Mason was very high on my wish list.
I like Jakob but he just doesn't have the physicality and brutal force of someone like Develin (strange since they are listed at same size yet the impact is much different) And since Cam and running game are most realistic options at least early in the season FB is important position. I hope there is at least open competition that includes Keene. Im not sure Vitale is in their plans.

Id go with Keene who could add some bulk. He has the mentality and physicality and he can be legit receiving threat from that position. Adding two top TEs and esp. Jonnu who can play legit HB as well opens up so many things in this offence and Keene as FB/HB could be mismatch headache with Cam like White used to be with Tom..

Jakub could be perfect backup options sitting on PS and offering extra player on extended roster that includes PS.

From the rules:

The NFL has specific regulations for players that sign through the IPP. The teams to which each IPP player is assigned are allowed 91 players on their off-season rosters, one more than those teams that are not participating in the IPP that year. At the point when these rosters need to be cut to 53 (at the end of pre-season), the participating teams must decide the status of their IPP players.

First, the team can keep their IPP player on their 53-man roster. If they waive the player, he goes through the NFL's waiver system, which allows him to be claimed by another team. If he clears waivers, the team can sign the player to their practice squad. If they do, they may elect to take an exemption for the IPP player, giving them an extra spot on their practice squad. If they utilize the exemption, that player cannot be signed to the active roster of any team during the season. If the exemption is declined, the player is treated like any other practice squad player, and can be promoted to a team's active roster. If the player chooses to sign with a team other than the one to which he was assigned, that team may not claim the exemption.

Last edited:
No, just the PS later on.

I argued here before for an upgrade at FB. Ben Mason was very high on my wish list.
I like Jakob but he just doesn't have the physicality and brutal force of someone like Develin (strange since they are listed at same size yet the impact is much different)
I though Jakob was way more violent last year. He really slammed a few folks around.

I though Jakob was way more violent last year. He really slammed a few folks around.

He did get more comfortable in his role but it is still far from Develin as far as i could see. Maybe he can add some more to his body & game. We will see but id prefer an upgrade to get the best use of Keene that would also offer legit FB receiving threat. I think Jakob can make it to PS and he can be a great depth piece from there.. He did become reliable feature though and BB values that..

Just sitting here thinking....d@mn Julio would look good in a Pats uniform.
WR: J. Jones
WR: N. Agholor
TE: H. Henry
TE: J. Smith

How much would you be willing to give for 32y old WR with increasing injury concerns that will still cost 15M guaranteed?

How much would you be willing to give for 32y old WR with increasing injury concerns that will still cost 15M guaranteed?
A Lot Rubbing Hands GIF by Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum

Ok. But concretely - what did you have in mind - what would you give up/invest?

Ok. But concretely - what did you have in mind - what would you give up/invest?
Pats Receive:
Julio Jones

Falcons Receive:
2022 2nd Rounder
N. Harry
2023 4th rounder if needed.
Much needed cap space

Would not offer much more than that. My main point was that he is exactly what this team needs in the short term. He would be perfect for Mac Jones to have at his disposal with the two TE's, Agholor on the other side and Meyers in the slot with Bourne.

We are not so flush with cap space that Julio Jones can be added without some gymnastics. His cap number could be lowered with a restructure and void years, but here is approximately where we are at. Using Miguel's information here:
1. Current cap space: 15,544,482
2. Cap space needed to sign draft picks (accounting for rule of 51): 3,200,000
3. Post 6/1 cap savings when Patrick Chung retirement is processed: 961,765

Nets us around 13,306,247 to work with. I don't think the Patriots will dip below 5M before Week 1 kickoff as this is needed to account for NLTBE incentives earned during the season which count this year when earned and replacement players due to IR, though at present I am thinking good thoughts about every player's health.

Before trading for high-priced veterans, I want to see Gilmore's situation clarified. I'm uneasy about CB depth without Gilmore as the #1 CB.

We are not so flush with cap space that Julio Jones can be added without some gymnastics. His cap number could be lowered with a restructure and void years, but here is approximately where we are at. Using Miguel's information here:
1. Current cap space: 15,544,482
2. Cap space needed to sign draft picks (accounting for rule of 51): 3,200,000
3. Post 6/1 cap savings when Patrick Chung retirement is processed: 961,765

Nets us around 13,306,247 to work with. I don't think the Patriots will dip below 5M before Week 1 kickoff as this is needed to account for NLTBE incentives earned during the season which count this year when earned and replacement players due to IR, though at present I am thinking good thoughts about every player's health.

Before trading for high-priced veterans, I want to see Gilmore's situation clarified. I'm uneasy about CB depth without Gilmore as the #1 CB.

Agreed. Gilmore way before some #1 WR fantasy move.

Just sitting here thinking....d@mn Julio would look good in a Pats uniform.
WR: J. Jones
WR: N. Agholor
TE: H. Henry
TE: J. Smith

could not agree more! Jones would add incredible talent to the wide receiver room!

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back