PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore

So let me get this straight.....

The 1 year removed DPOY who missed days at training camp for "personal reasons" later to be reclassified as a stealth hold out because his 2020 $10.5 mill salary was well below market .......and subsequently returned to camp after agreeing to play for $15.5 mill instead....
Now...
"seems likely...Gilmore would complete his Pats contract in 2021" that will pay him $7.5 mill this year (a 52% reduction from last year)

Too funny
James Harden chuckles as well
2021 looks like a bargain compared to 2020. You remind me of Delmar.

Helped us win a SB in 2018 and made the defense in 2019 look way better than it really was.

Gilmore will be traded to Jacksonville. Here's why:
-jax has 2 1st rounders. Patriots could get their 2nd 1st rounder for him.
-jax has the cap space and money to pay him.
-jax needs a cb
-BB and Meyer are friends

-jax needs a cb
Really can't see the Pats getting a first for Gilmore. Maybe a second but even that's not a guarantee.

But I hope you're right.

Really can't see the Pats getting a first for Gilmore. Maybe a second but even that's not a guarantee.

But I hope you're right.

Not saying you're wrong, but if all we get is a 2nd I'd rather keep him for the year and take the comp pick. We won't be crunched for cap space in 2021, and I'd rather not add another hole to fill unless we're getting a decent return. That said, if Gilmore doesn't want to play here and you HAVE to move him, you get what you can get, but all that being equal a 2nd just isn't enough for a player of that caliber.

If it's yo Jax, the 2nd would be very early. I'd be shocked if they could get that for him but would do it in a heartbeat. Then key anyone but Bill make that pick.

-jax needs a cb
I don't know the likelyhood of this - but I do know I'd like for it to happen. I've really enjoyed seeing Gilmore perform in NE since signing. But when in rebuilding mode, 30+ CBs that might have good value should be moved. If BB works his magic and thinks NE can compete next season, great. Otherwise, let's accumulate pieces towards a winner down the road.

-jax needs a cb
You know don't ya...... the Jax GM isn't the same GM who was in "Draft Day"

Last edited:
At this point I think we will be lucky to get a third.

If the Pats think they can compete in 2021, then they absolutely keep Gilmore - he's a huge value at $7.5.

That value is also why he's probably worth a lot in trade. He's one of my favorite Pats. Last year (2019), he played CB as well as anyone I've ever seen - Revis included (except against Miami, lol). Seeing him leave would hurt, but from his point of view, the guy should get another shot at a ring and on a winning team.

I'm okay with that. I'd want a 1st+ or at least a very high second + multiple others, though - AT LEAST. Whoever gets him for a SB run is getting a shutdown corner while barely clipping their cap. Even with injuries this year, he was a great player.

Sucks to see great players leaving, but if you're in a rebuild, this is how you do it. Either trade blue chips like Gilmore for lots of draft capital, or trade players like JE out of courtesy to them (unless they're team leaders happy to be here, like Slater and McCourty).

Gilmore's fate all comes down to BB's evaluation of what 2021 should be for the Pats. If he thinks it anything less than a shot at a SB, Gilmore is a good trade.

At this point I think we will be lucky to get a third.
I'm not saying this assessment is wrong. But if the best you can do for Gilmore is a 3rd, I'd favour keeping him. He can still produce and unless you are guaranteeing a Thuney - which no one can - I'm out at that price. A mid 2nd ? I'd entertain.

I'm not saying this assessment is wrong. But if the best you can do for Gilmore is a 3rd, I'd favour keeping him. He can still produce and unless you are guaranteeing a Thuney - which no one can - I'm out at that price. A mid 2nd ? I'd entertain.
I think the bigger issue is that he won't want to play here next year absent a new deal. He already had some pseudo holdout in camp last year until they moved his money around.

I think the bigger issue is that he won't want to play here next year absent a new deal. He already had some pseudo holdout in camp last year until they moved his money around.
Then I change my answer : if Gilmore is going to be a pain, you move him. As good as he's been, he's never been talked about as "a leader in the locker" and if he turns even 40% Adalius, we move on.

Ah we are truly in offseason mode. Every tweet will be dissected a trillion times over.

I don't know the likelyhood of this - but I do know I'd like for it to happen. I've really enjoyed seeing Gilmore perform in NE since signing. But when in rebuilding mode, 30+ CBs that might have good value should be moved. If BB works his magic and thinks NE can compete next season, great. Otherwise, let's accumulate pieces towards a winner down the road.
Gilmore + our fourth/3rd for jags second.

Doubt jags would give their second for Gilmore.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back