PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore traded to Carolina

Can someone explain how this affects this year’s cap space? How would we not have had room for Gilmore? Just because we didn’t have room for him to play on a bigger extension that he wanted to sign before returning? But on his current deal, would we have had to release or restructure guys for Gilmore to play for us this year?
I think it's more about cash than cap here. There would have been plenty of ways to pay him more while keeping his 2021 cap hit the same or even lowering it, but it also needs to make sense to pay a guy that amount of money at all, regardless of which years the cap hit comes in.

I guess you could say Bill is acknowledging we are not contending for a Super Bowl this year. So it would not make sense to pay Gilmore 12-15 million, because they would have to cut or restructure some players. Why now? They need some cap space for the rest of the year for emergencies...or they plan on signing someone now who will eat up some cap space.

Bill needs a new GM to help him!!!!
TANK, TANK, TANK
Get a top 10 OT

They may not get any comp pick for Thuney because they signed so many UFA's this year.
Another bungled personnel decision as far as I am concerned. Paid a guard $14 mill on a bad rebuilding team only to let him walk the next year and now we likely won't get a comp pick. Basically paid Thuney $14 mill and gave up a third round pick for one year.

Truth be told a more upset they didn't get anything for him. Pattriots are still rebuilding and by the time they're going to be good Gilmore will be gone.

Me as well just roll with the guys you have and see what they can do during the rebuild.

Last edited:
Can someone explain the cap savings a bit? When we save $7.7M or whatever, isn’t that for THIS season where we’ve already filled out our roster? How does that help? Was Gilmore not previously counting towards the cap while on PUP so we didn’t have room to bring him back?
I don’t understand what saving cap room mid season does?
It helps. BB is always looking at potential moves. They are now able to make a trade.

How can we spend $160 mil and then claim the cap for not paying our best defensive player?

Because clearly the believe he's not. And they actually have information about that, which differentiates them from us.

Truth be told a more upset they didn't get anything for him. Truth be told patriots are still rebuilding and by the time they're going to be good Gilmore will be okay.

Me as well just roll with the guys you have and see what they can do during the rebuild.
If that is the case why sign Collins? Let the young guys play if we're calling it a season.

How can we spend $160 mil and then claim the cap for not paying our best defensive player?
The problem was the cap in previous years, not this year.

This situation is going to make the Patriots shy on flexibly using their cap. Fronting the money to Gilmore caused this problem in the first place. They did it for cap flexibility, but now they have to think twice about fronting players money in their contracts.

And that's maybe how it should be. Not everyone is a Tom Brady. If you give someone their money up front, they're going to ask for more.

Wut? Tampa plays a ton of man as they blitz all the time. He would be a perfect fit for them this year and show what he can do and then hit the FA market next year big.

They ran man defense, but it is my understanding that they are a zone base. Can he fit? Sure. They could certainly make it work. But he isn't a perfect fit and if he prioritizes maximizing his contract value next offseason over trying to win another championship, there are probably going to be better fits out there.

It’s not the cap, he’s not the team‘s best D player and he is coming off a serious injury, he’s 31 and is unhappy no one wants to give $20m per for multiple years.

Social media goodbyes are not legally binding lol, players have posted them before and returned later. But as I’ve said I don’t think it’s the likely option, just a possibility.
I was with you at first but I'm gonna have to jump ship now.

Couldn't we have just left him on the PUP and then at least got a comp pick for him? That way we get something for him and he doesn't go help another team.
Continue paying him to get a fifth?

Thanks to the Gilmore liberation, NE has $5.8 mill in cap room now.
Suppose Bill doesn't spend it this year.
This amount would then get tacked on to next year's cap
Would you rather have a 5th round draft pick next year whose odds to make the team are minimal, or the ability to fund an additional quality FA who can step in and help the team in week 1?

This argument works for this year as well.
Acquire a roster improvement now with the Gilmore cap savings, or wait till next year for a 5th rounder who will likely offer the team little if anything.

With regards to Gilmore "helping other teams", why should NE ever concern themselves with other rosters at the expense of their own roster.
Drew Bledsoe concurs

Last edited:
They ran man defense, but they are a zone base. Can he fit? Sure. They could certainly make it work. But he isn't a perfect fit and if he prioritizes maximizing his contract value next offseason over trying to win another championship, there are probably going to be better fits out there.
That's the rub. Does he want the money or a chance for a ring this year? I am sure Brady is talking to him now. lol

I get it now...Collinsworth said Wise was our best defensive player, so Belichick agreed and released Gilmore.
I think he said wise was their best DL, but I could be wrong.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back