PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore traded to Carolina

The market is so robust they couldn't find a trade partner?

Sherman led the team in tackles that game. Not too bad for a guy coming off his couch 5 days prior.

IDK, it is never a good thing when a CB leads a team in tackles in a game. Means either teams are running right at him or throwing on him.

Grabbing Jaylon Smith now gives me bad memories of Mo Sanu...

Cowboys released him for a reason, he could not break into the starting lineup.

I think his injury history has caught up with him, or he has some other unknown issue.

BSPN sez:

And after all the time the Cowboys media machine spent hyping him, the whispers are now that he was more interested in managing the $35M in guarantees the Cowboys gave him than in playing football. I guess that's what happens when you have had a massive injury that almost took your career away.

Link: Dallas Cowboys' decision to cut Jaylon Smith about not stopping progress

I think it's more Dan Quinn and the guarantees they would owe him than him just being bad. Quinn obviously prefers Neal who he had in Atlanta and they just drafted Parsons and Cox and have Vander Esch. Cowboys are projected to be -10m over the cap going into 2022 and that's with freeing up Smith's contract. 7 guys on that team in 2022 will be 15m+ cap hits, 4 of those will be 20m+

I am guessing it will be the money over the ring. Older players who already have a ring, are more likely to go for maximizing their dollars rather than the ring. Especially since him going to Tampa doesn't guarantee him a ring anyway. And there is a chance that KC and Green Bay could go after him too and they are Super Bowl contenders and potentially better scheme fits.

I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.
I agree. He'll pick the best team near his price IMO. Packers should make a move surely they have cap space or are the 3 offensive Pro Bowl RB,QB and WR contracts that huge?

I assume now that he is released, any team that signs him can activate him right away. Although if he is traded, he stays on the PUP.

Is he guaranteed to make more than $7m this year elsewhere? Seems a lot of teams will be tight against the cap.

I'm betting that Gilmore is betting on himself-- because he is probably going to sign for something less than $7m this year, with a lot of money upfront for future years.

I'd be nervous if I were a prospective suitor because he is expecting lots of money up front for a 32 year old (next year) CB coming off a severe injury.

I mean, Richard Sherman just walked off the street, so...

I agree. He'll pick the best team near his price IMO. Packers should make a move surely they have cap space or are the 3 offensive Pro Bowl RB,QB and WR contracts that huge?
Curious to see if Dallas or the Rams or Arizona shows interest...according to Schefter, he is going to have a ton of interest.

The market is so robust they couldn't find a trade partner?

The market is full of teams that want to sign him for cheap...if you trade him you are stuck with his large contract.

If that is the case why sign Collins? Let the young guys play if we're calling it a season.

Good question. Maybe he's cheap and a good locker room guy?

Seeing more of these tweets:

Bucs just did it. Restructured one of their OL contracts to sign Sherman.

49ers make sense too they're thin st CB as well

I think they have about $7 million in cap space. It is more than Tampa has right now.

Green Bay is always a wild card because you never know how they do things over there with player acquisition. Historically, they have been rather cheap when it comes to free agents, but they have spent a lot in recent years because they know their window with Rodgers is quickly coming to an end. I could see them paying Gilmore because they know Rodgers is likely gone next year and this is their last shot at a ring for a while.

The market is full of teams that want to sign him for cheap...if you trade him you are stuck with his large contract.
If he isn't playing here for cheap money why would he play somewhere else for cheap money?

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back