PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore traded to Carolina

I don't get it... Surely they could of gotten something ...

Well this is certainly strange that we couldn't get anything for him. I would've preferred to keep him but obviously he wanted too much money. He had some great seasons for us and made some big plays in huge games so I wish him the best.

According to Schefter, Gilmore will be ready to play in the 2nd half of the year....teams that are strapped with cap room will not be able to sign him...he's not taking a pay cut.....look for him to go to a contender: KC, GB or Dallas.

wow. I mean, do we save a bunch against cap or something? Do we think he's damaged? Did Brady talk with Belichick about this and does BB get to coach in Tampa next year b/c Arians is retiring? Does asking questions like these make me sound like the outro of a "Soap" episode? Tune in next week...
Wait for somebody smarter to say it, but I think it may be in the ballpark of 12M by my calculations

wow. I mean, do we save a bunch against cap or something? Do we think he's damaged? Did Brady talk with Belichick about this and does BB get to coach in Tampa next year b/c Arians is retiring? Does asking questions like these make me sound like the outro of a "Soap" episode? Tune in next week...
$7.7m

Question for the experts ... I assume that by cutting him that we will not get a COMP pick for him in the 2022 draft? I believe most thought we'd get a 3rd as a comp pick. If that's the case and we have paid him for the first few weeks, plus an injury settlement, why not keep him and not play him for the rest of the year. Few million $$$ for a 3rd round comp pick seems like good business to me.

I don't get it... Surely they could of gotten something ...
If the news reports are true and it is injury settlement...the player STILL has to be injured to receive that settlement. The unknown - is Gilmore not recovered which would explain why no trade potential?

Guess we'll find out in a couple weeks if he shows up on another squad actually on the field.

comedy central wtf GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

I am guessing he is hurt worse than they are telling us. Otherwise this make zero sense to me.

Wait for somebody smarter to say it, but I think it may be in the ballpark of 12M by my calculations
Shefty says 5.8m

TB is the shadow GM in TB

Question for the experts ... I assume that by cutting him that we will not get a COMP pick for him in the 2022 draft? I believe most thought we'd get a 3rd as a comp pick. If that's the case and we have paid him for the first few weeks, plus an injury settlement, why not keep him and not play him for the rest of the year. Few million $$$ for a 3rd round comp pick seems like good business to me.
He'll be a 10 year veteran, so the best possible comp pick would have been a 5th.

I don't understand why we don't at least trade him? Do we get a pick this way if he signs a big deal elsewhere? No one wanted to pay anything for him? Really strange.

Correct, no comp.

It's not just the contract dispute and the depth of his injury, but a trade for an OL could be coming. We need help at OL far more than at DB.

The 2 scenarios where this makes sense:
All teams contacted refused to give him a contract extension or rework, so he could not get traded amicably anywhere(Plus low offers for the Patiots, Im sure).

Then, based on trust and whatnot, Gilmore asked to be released bc the Pats would not budge about the contract.

His injury is WAY worse than advertised

Otherwise, It is IMPOSSIBLE not to net at least a 7th round on a past DPOY, 2 years from his award

Now in seriousness, if they turn around and offer a long term deal to Jackson - is that a good trade off and use of cap space? Given the way the secondary has played thus far...worth discussion.
Lol you know better.

They’ll let Jackson walk too.

They’ll let Jackson walk too.
I'll revise that slightly - they won't break the bank to retain him (they will make an offer) and someone else will. I agree that is a likely outcome.

Something has us thinking Gilly can no longer justify 5.8m against the cap (if we take the lowest suggested number)

And/or, too much downside (injury) risk with the secondary playing nicely without him. As someone said above, perhaps still injured.

Correct, no comp.

It's not just the contract dispute and the depth of his injury, but a trade for an OL could be coming. We need help at OL far more than at DB.
BB has some balls I'll tell you what. No comp pick? No one wanted to give up a 5th for him ? He must be stone cold serious about his contract before he plays another down. This almost never works out for the player?

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back