PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Getting Into Kraft's Thought Process - Some Thoughts

Every pick in this upcoming draft should be offense

No Andy, youre insulting everyone heres intellgence. I gave multiple things he could be doing, whatever and however much he wants to do. That is not "stop in a couple times a month" its just taking him out of having final say in the decision making process because like it or not he is 72, his latest rebuild bombed spectacularly, and while i agree the media blows things out of proportion how many stories of extreme coaching disfunction do you need to read to believe something isnt right in foxboro? All good things end, and its Belichicks time
If his rebuild “bombed spectacularly” then surely you can give me a whole bunch of other rebuilds where dominant franchises fell back had to rebuild and did better in 3 years. I’ll wait for the list.

OK, here's my Hot Take. We'll see how well it ages soon enough. :confused:

I think way too much is being read into the morning after press conference, going both ways. He didn't commit to giving up the GM duties in return for keeping his job, or anything remotely like that. He committed to absolutely nothing but a general willingness to work with everybody to make the team work better, which can mean literally anything, or nothing. Conversely, there was no "shot across the bow" other than him making it clear that he wants to keep his job, which isn't exactly a shocker. "If you want to fire me, fire me, but I'm not pretending I was actually quitting anyway" isn't some crazy stance for him to take.

I don't expect Belichick to stay on with diminished responsibility. He might promise to clean house around him on a bigger scale, bring in new personnel guys and build a bigger/better coaching staff, but ultimately he's either going to be at the top of the football pyramid, or he's leaving. People are understating what a major sea-change it would represent for a guy who became the GOAT coach precisely by being an all-controlling Emperor Napoleon of football to stop and say, "Actually, I need to divest myself of the draft and free agency and offensive staff decisions because I can't cut it anymore in multiple facets of being a head of football ops." I can see him doing that after leaving and taking a year or two off and reflecting on Life, the Universe and Everything, but not now.
So long, and thanks for all the fish?

My worry is that it isn't Zappe they decide to keep, but Mac, as McDaniels was the last person to get a good season from him.
Why would you worry about that? If they went to camp and through preseason with Jones showing to be the best short-term starter while the draftee sits and learns, why would that be a problem?

Why would you worry about that? If they went to camp and through preseason with Jones showing to be the best short-term starter while the draftee sits and learns, why would that be a problem?
Because I watched him play this year. I would prefer they go find a vet as a short-term starter rather than Mac.

You want him to become Ernie Adams.
It’s like asking a CEO to come to lunch a couple of times a month after you put him out to pasture.

Why in the world would a guy who ran the organization for 25 years want to do that? It’s insulting.
No Andy, youre insulting everyone heres intellgence. I gave multiple things he could be doing, whatever and however much he wants to do. That is not "stop in a couple times a month" its just taking him out of having final say in the decision making process because like it or not he is 72, his latest rebuild bombed spectacularly, and while i agree the media blows things out of proportion how many stories of extreme coaching disfunction do you need to read to believe something isnt right in foxboro? All good things end, and its Belichicks time
If you believe those things why would you want him anywhere around the team?
Instead you call him a genius and want to chop his balls off and take away his authority but keep him around because he’s so smart.
How is that better for him than coaching elsewhere?
First off understand, i love BB, i have always been team Bill and gave him a 60% share in the Bill versus Tom debate. A position that is getting harder and harder to defend. I thought the patriots without Brady would be one.of those teams that was at least 9-8 and in the playoff conversation year in and year out. No BB coached team would ever bottom out and be one of the worst teams in the league cuz hes the GOAT.

This makes me SAD to say but its the obvious truth based on too many facts to ignore. Harry instead of AJ Brown, Patricia, how many stories about coaching disfunction, and 20 other conversations that have been beaten to death around here. BB is old and has lost his fastball. It happens to everyone, and because i read your 1000 posts screaming otherwise, yes getting old effects mental processing so he isnt the coach he once was. If he was 62 i would be 100% behind him getting another crack at a rebuild. Hes not, hes 72, and he cant get the players to play like they need to anymore. I still respect the man like no other coach and wanted to come up with a solution that keeps him around for the team, contributing anyway he can come up with. I want him around because the patriots are a better team with more voices sharing opinions and experiences while making decisions, yet recognizing 4 years of bad coaching and poor team building. I dont give a crap about better for Bill or any other team. I care about best for the NE Patriots, and right now that is transitioning away from BB being in charge of everything, but keeping his experience readily accessable for the new HC.

It’s not unusual for owners to be involved in major personnel decisions and the direction of their teams.
Those types of decisions are what people seem to be upset with Belichick over.
and that’s why the popular upset needs to be taken with a big grain of salt. If it’s not unusual for owners to be involved why is there no upset focused on Kraft? Why is it all on Bill? Might it be that Kraft and not Bill is the problem?

First off understand, i love BB, i have always been team Bill and gave him a 60% share in the Bill versus Tom debate. A position that is getting harder and harder to defend. I thought the patriots without Brady would be one.of those teams that was at least 9-8 and in the playoff conversation year in and year out. No BB coached team would ever bottom out and be one of the worst teams in the league cuz hes the GOAT.

This makes me SAD to say but its the obvious truth based on too many facts to ignore. Harry instead of AJ Brown, Patricia, how many stories about coaching disfunction, and 20 other conversations that have been beaten to death around here. BB is old and has lost his fastball. It happens to everyone, and because i read your 1000 posts screaming otherwise, yes getting old effects mental processing so he isnt the coach he once was. If he was 62 i would be 100% behind him getting another crack at a rebuild. Hes not, hes 72, and he cant get the players to play like they need to anymore. I still respect the man like no other coach and wanted to come up with a solution that keeps him around for the team, contributing anyway he can come up with. I want him around because the patriots are a better team with more voices sharing opinions and experiences while making decisions, yet recognizing 4 years of bad coaching and poor team building. I dont give a crap about better for Bill or any other team. I care about best for the NE Patriots, and right now that is transitioning away from BB being in charge of everything, but keeping his experience readily accessable for the new HC.
So your answer to me questioning your idea is flawed because belichick would never accept that is “you don’t give a crap” about that.

Ok, at least we only wasted a few thousand words to conclude your idea is terrible.

It’s amazing to me that people create this perspective that relationships within the organization are combative and adverserial
Kraft and bb have worked together for more than 25 years. They have had more success together than any owner/hc/gm in the history of the sport. They have spent 25 years developing and honing a shared philosophy on how to run the organization and have success. For 25 years there has been a philosophy and a plan. Now suddenly people think there is distrust, ultimatums, diametrically opposed beliefs and in fighting.
There is a 25 year relationship with thousands of discussions, decisions, conversations, collaborations.
People watch TV. Collaboration does not make for good TV.

People watch TV. Collaboration does not make for good TV.
Don’t people live real lives and have real jobs where they interact with other humans and work within an organization and hierarchy?

So your answer to me questioning your idea is flawed because belichick would never accept that is “you don’t give a crap” about that.

Ok, at least we only wasted a few thousand words to conclude your idea is terrible.
Cuz andy said so. As usual

Every pick in this upcoming draft should be offense
Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

Only if Bill isn't here would you have even a chance at that.

Why would belichick willingly go from running the entire operation to being a stooge with no authority?
Because that's what his recent performance warrants.

Cuz andy said so. As usual
Do you disagree? Do you honestly think belichick after running the organization for 25 years will have all of his authority stripped from him and then take a role with zero responsibility or authority and stay working under the guy who just told him to go f himself?
When he could have many other HC jobs, take a TV job, or just retire?

It’s not im right because I said so, it’s I’m right because your idea has absolutely no chance of happening.

I think it's time to evaluate BB's personnel philosophy.
He's always seen players/positions differently than most of the NFL. That worked for a while - but mostly because he's never valued QB talent very high... He just backed into the best QB in the world, and was able to keep winning without valuing offensive playmakers high on his list. Sure, there was the occasional Dillon or Moss signing (but never drafting).
Today's NFL needs talent and athleticism at QB & WR. Sure, the age old adage of strength on both OL & DL is still valid.
But, he's going to have to change a bit to win again.

I don't think Kraft is firing Belichick at this point. They are working on the terms so Belichick can stay for one more year, what that entails.
For better or worse I think you are right….i think krafts are figuring out that they are going to have to pay Belichick either way so they are probably negotiating to hire GM and have them and scouts be more in charge of the draft and FA with some input obviously from BB….i also expect them to bring back Josh. They need to fire Achord and judge and hire slater as ST coach

I could actually see that too. As some time/separation passes in Jan, and depending on the OC - they could talk themselves back into allowing Mac to be the bridge. That's such a scary thought.
Everything is shaping up for a literal "run it back" - with a very similar result next season. :eek:
A similar result, that is a 3-, 4-, or 5-win season, might be preferable to a situation where the team raised its record to something like 8-9. Then there would be pressure to keep Belichick - and Mac - because of the "improvement" over the 2023 disaster. This past season, following three years of mediocrity, provides a strong case for cleaning house. If Kraft does not, it's a failure of will.

Link to the Schefter part please. It would be malpractice for the Patriots not to get a pick for Bill. Bill is going to have multiple suitors, he should be able pick his destination and the Pats can acquire picks for having his rights.
Didn't the Pats give up a pick to get Belichick even though he had resigned from the Jets? How is this situation different?

Didn't the Pats give up a pick to get Belichick even though he had resigned from the Jets? How is this situation different?
The difference is the Jets expected Belichick to be their head coach and wanted him initially. The Patriots in this case would be moving on from Bill and would likely not want him on the team.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back