PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Geneo Grissom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffins

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Is he this year's Jake Bequette....... the dead weight that keeps making the roster year after year on "potential". Yeah we put a 3rd round for him but isn't it time to move on already? I am tired of hearing about his athleticism. Next we'll hear how he's going to try switching to Tight End!

Is he this year's Jake Bequette....... the dead weight that keeps making the roster year after year on "potential". Yeah we put a 3rd round for him but isn't it time to move on already? I am tired of hearing about his athleticism. Next we'll hear how he's going to try switching to Tight End!

Whether Grissom is a 'dead weight' is irrelevant.

What matters is whether or not there is someone that is/will be more productive.

I have no problem with the Pats letting Grissom go. But if so, then let's hear who the suggested replacement is, and why that person is superior.

I was expecting Kony Ealy to easily distance himself from Grissom, but that hasn't been the case as of yet. I can't say that Caleb Kidder had a better game against Jacksonville than Grissom did. Keionta Davis is getting such a late start after dealing with an injury that he may not be of much help until 2018, though I do find him to be a very intriguing prospect.

There's no doubt that Grissom has been a disappointment when considering his 3rd round draft status. But that's not a valid reason to cut him. I want one of the players listed above to show that they are more deserving of a roster spot.

On a side note: in regards to special teams, Grissom finished sixth on the Pats with 250 ST snaps (56%) during the 2016 regular season. That's more ST snaps than Slater had, despite the fact Grissom was on the Practice Squad for the first five games of the season. The Patriots already have to replace Barkevious Mingo (323 ST snaps, 72%) and probably Brandon Bolden (264 ST snaps, 59%). That's probably something worth keeping an eye on in the remaining preseason games, especially after the special teams breakdown on the return against Jacksonville that led to a score.

2016 Patriots Special Teams Snap Count Leaders
359 snaps --- 80.1% --- Nate Ebner
323 snaps --- 72.1% --- Barkevious Mingo
307 snaps --- 68.5% --- Jonathan Jones
299 snaps --- 66.7% --- Brandon King
264 snaps --- 58.9% --- Brandon Bolden
250 snaps --- 55.8% --- Geneo Grissom
226 snaps --- 50.5% --- Matthew Slater

When was Bequette a valuable special teamer?

You know what? Yes special teams is important but the unit is not static. Slater and Ebner are like the static players for a defined role over 8 years. We have to replace Mingo's special team snaps as well. Other players step up, and practice, and get coached and can participate. Geneo isn't the next Slater/Ebner. He's not a gunner like Slater was. We already have King for special king only role as well. I really doubt Geneo's special teams contribution can't be replaced or replicated by others who can make the team. And I really doubt Geneo can hold his place on the roster if they give up on his potential to eventually blossom on the defensive unit.

I think he makes the team due to ST performance as well as the fact the DL remains open. He will need to show it this season however.

Geneo = Pierre Woods

The Pats got more positional value (and arguably ST) out of Woods than they'll ever get out of Grissom. But I think Grissom, unfortunately, just might be the third best edge player on the roster behind Flowers and Wise (hopefully). He's probably going to make the team.

The Pats got more positional value (and arguably ST) out of Woods than they'll ever get out of Grissom. But I think Grissom, unfortunately, just might be the third best edge player on the roster behind Flowers and Wise (hopefully). He's probably going to make the team.
Woods was a good STer and ok vs the run. He couldn't rush the QB for ****.

That's Grissom

These conversations always need to be in the context of the salary cap, his salary cap # is 625K (Miguel says 290K, Spotrac differs) which is not outrageous for a "core special teamer" in the NFL who can fill in on defense.. he has been waived then made the practice squad, he knows the defense and what is expected in this franchise..

For every Trey Flowers there are a couple of Geneo Grissoms..

Whether Grissom is a 'dead weight' is irrelevant.

What matters is whether or not there is someone that is/will be more productive.

I have no problem with the Pats letting Grissom go. But if so, then let's hear who the suggested replacement is, and why that person is superior.

I was expecting Kony Ealy to easily distance himself from Grissom, but that hasn't been the case as of yet. I can't say that Caleb Kidder had a better game against Jacksonville than Grissom did. Keionta Davis is getting such a late start after dealing with an injury that he may not be of much help until 2018, though I do find him to be a very intriguing prospect.

There's no doubt that Grissom has been a disappointment when considering his 3rd round draft status. But that's not a valid reason to cut him. I want one of the players listed above to show that they are more deserving of a roster spot.

On a side note: in regards to special teams, Grissom finished sixth on the Pats with 250 ST snaps (56%) during the 2016 regular season. That's more ST snaps than Slater had, despite the fact Grissom was on the Practice Squad for the first five games of the season. The Patriots already have to replace Barkevious Mingo (323 ST snaps, 72%) and probably Brandon Bolden (264 ST snaps, 59%). That's probably something worth keeping an eye on in the remaining preseason games, especially after the special teams breakdown on the return against Jacksonville that led to a score.

2016 Patriots Special Teams Snap Count Leaders
359 snaps --- 80.1% --- Nate Ebner
323 snaps --- 72.1% --- Barkevious Mingo
307 snaps --- 68.5% --- Jonathan Jones
299 snaps --- 66.7% --- Brandon King
264 snaps --- 58.9% --- Brandon Bolden
250 snaps --- 55.8% --- Geneo Grissom
226 snaps --- 50.5% --- Matthew Slater

Woods was a good STer and ok vs the run. He couldn't rush the QB for ****.

That's Grissom

Judging on practice reports and JAX game Grissom's D competition goes far beyond Ealy (or Kidder, K.Davis who are not even in the mix at the moment).

The guys who saw most snaps at DE were Wise, Rivers, A.Butler and Langi. They all did pretty good. Grissom played OLB most of the game. He only got 4 snaps at DE, 3 of them deep in the 3rd Q against 3rd string competition.

He started TC at DE with starting unit and lost the spot to Wise. A.Butler, Rivers and Langi were part of the rotation, not Grissom. Thursday game confirmed that. And don't forget about Guy as well.

And GG is not ok vs the run because he gets easily pushed away, blocked etc.

No doubt Grissom is among core ST. He played like that on Thursday as well at key positions. But he will face competition there as well. This is report from yesterday:

— Undrafted rookie Harvey Langi saw a lot of action on special teams, which is always a good sign for potential bubble players. Other bubble players getting extensive work on special teams were: Jordan Richards, Brandon Bolden, Adam Butler and Geneo Grissom.

Add O'Shaughnessy, Freeny, KVN, Roberts, Rivers as ST competition as well.
(BTW -Karras looked quite ok in return game pairing w Grissom as last blocking unit for Cy.)

You know what? Yes special teams is important but the unit is not static. Slater and Ebner are like the static players for a defined role over 8 years. We have to replace Mingo's special team snaps as well. Other players step up, and practice, and get coached and can participate. Geneo isn't the next Slater/Ebner. He's not a gunner like Slater was. We already have King for special king only role as well. I really doubt Geneo's special teams contribution can't be replaced or replicated by others who can make the team. And I really doubt Geneo can hold his place on the roster if they give up on his potential to eventually blossom on the defensive unit.
Grissom,slater and king play different positions on special teams.
There are 11 guys out there not just gunners.

How he didn't come up with that ball still baffles me to this day. He had already recovered the fumble. The freaking play was over. Unreal.

That's the issue with that play. Woods HAD THE BALL and was touched by Bradshaw. Should have been down by contact, Patriots ball.

Actually a pretty easy call. But the refs blew it.

No, Pierre Woods blew it.

Not only was he fundamentally deficient in his attempt to recover the fumble
(i.e.: he never correctly wrapped his body around the ball until his hands were able to wrap themselves around it), but he was psychologically deficient as well, because he allowed somebody else Who Wanted The Ball More Than He Did to take it from him, and who weighed 30 lbs less than he did to boot.

He's been D-E-A-D to me from that moment forward.

Bequette never recorded an NFL stat.

Grissom has 11 tackles and 1 sack in 2 seasons.

Grissom has played about 400 ST snaps in his two seasons. Bequette played a total of 36 ST snaps in his two seasons on the active roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes