PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Geneo Grissom

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no doubt that Grissom has been a disappointment when considering his 3rd round draft status.

Grissom was drafted at #97. Flowers was drafted at #101. Four picks apart that just happened to fall into two different rounds.

If those picks had been reversed, would anyone even be concerned that Grissom has turned out to be "just" a very good special teamer?

Grissom was drafted at #97. Flowers was drafted at #101. Four picks apart that just happened to fall into two different rounds.

If those picks had been reversed, would anyone even be concerned that Grissom has turned out to be "just" a very good special teamer?

Your point is generally valid, but I personally still would have expected more from an early round 4 pick. I expect players taken at or before round 4 to have, at the very least, positional potential.

You know what? Yes special teams is important but the unit is not static. Slater and Ebner are like the static players for a defined role over 8 years. We have to replace Mingo's special team snaps as well. Other players step up, and practice, and get coached and can participate. Geneo isn't the next Slater/Ebner. He's not a gunner like Slater was. We already have King for special king only role as well. I really doubt Geneo's special teams contribution can't be replaced or replicated by others who can make the team. And I really doubt Geneo can hold his place on the roster if they give up on his potential to eventually blossom on the defensive unit.

In 2016, the following players played minimal total snaps at their nominal position, but averaged significant snaps/game on special teams when active:

King: 0 total ... 18.7 average ST snaps/game
Bolden: 13 total ... 18.9 avg ST
Grissom: 11 total ... 22.7 avg ST
Ebner: 18 ... 22.4
Richards: 18 ... 13.7
Mingo: 47 ... 20.2
Jon Jones: 64 ... 19.2
Slater: 52 ... 17.4

Meanwhile, Elandon Roberts played the fewest ST snaps in 2016 of any of the LBs ... 19 total (13 games).

Collins played 24 (7 games)
Freeny = 49 (5 games)
Hightower = 53
Nink 51 (12 games)
Van Noy 57 (7 games)
McLellin = 218 (14 games)

Your point is generally valid, but I personally still would have expected more from an early round 4 pick. I expect players taken at or before round 4 to have, at the very least, positional potential.

IDK. Going back as far as 2010, the only close comps for the 97 or 101 picks seem to be Boyce (102) and Bequette (90).

Well, there's also Stork (105).

Going back a bit further, there's Tyrone McKenzie (97), Garrett Mills (106).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes