PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Garcia cut!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was cleared to play football with no future issues from the blood clots expected.

That he was released with a non-football illness designation indicates that was ultimately not true.

It's as simple as they are just moving on. They got Cannon coming back, traded for a really good player with Brown and drafted one of the best all around guards in the draft. Still have Mason and Thuney under contract and kept Waddle.

Not rocket science. Just a football decision.

Im sorry for this kid, I had a elbow surgery last week and I got a license from work for a couple weeks, this week in home doing nothing all day, I dont know if it was the meds or the situation but I was so depressed I wanted to go back to work as soon as possible but the doctor kept the stiches and the sling for another week.

Now imagine this kid looking at a NFL career and maybe already thinking in some million dollars in the bank that an average tackle makes and then boom, dream is over. Maybe its just the Pats wanting to move on and he gets another shot somewhere else but it looks bad.

I was never counting on a 3rd round pick with blood clot issues, and zero NFL experience to become our next LT. That's a lot of risk to place on a mid round prospect with health problems.

Not really surprised by his release. Hope he can live a relatively healthy life, but he's probably done with football based on this news.

I was never counting on a 3rd round pick with blood clot issues, and zero NFL experience to become our next LT. That's a lot of risk to place on a mid round prospect with health problems.

Not really surprised by his release. Hope he can live a relatively healthy life, but he's probably done with football based on this news.
Unfortunate truth. At no point did I ever see him as a part of the future, but damn sure hoped for it of course.

But as always, the Pats will carry on.

What upsets me is the current injuries to the offensive line: Brown, Cannon, Thuney,
and Wynn. Will they all be ready to start the season? If so, it may be a solid
offensive line. Otherwise, it will be a patchwork line. Scarnecchia can only do so much.

You do realize that Brown couldn't have been traded if he couldn't pass a physical.. -

I am glad this was spotted before something bad happened to the kid.

I think of Don Blackmon, Reggie Lewis. There are more important things than an NFL career,.

A happy and healthy life will hopefully be his Super Bowl.

Comparing Garcia to Blackmon and Lewis is ridiculous. You're comparing apples to artichokes and alfalfa and saying they have something in common because of the letter "A"..

Lewis' issues stemmed totally from his cocaine abuse.

Blackmon's injury came while he was playing..

Garcia's issue with blood clots developed during camp and, by all accounts, was a non-issue after receiving a clean bill of health to return to football.

The 3 situations couldn't be more different and it's ridiculous to even make an attempt to compare them..

That he was released with a non-football illness designation indicates that was ultimately not true.

No. That is an assumption on your part. He could easily pass the physical from his doctor only to have the Patriots "fail" him. They can use the NFI designation because he had been on the NFI list. The Patriots could easily bring him back later if he got to the weight they expect him to be at (300+) which we know he's not at right now.

This one hurts. Garcia was a fav of mine & I had high hopes but injuries, illnesses etc you just don't know & obviously the Pats didn't know or think it was this bad when they drafted him. Can't get mad at a guy for having blood clots in his lungs.

Yep. Hurts for the man, hurts Pats roster building. Significant blow to the prospect of having nice cheap T depth in Cannon-Garcia-Wynn for at least next 3 years (quite an achievement in this league & draft capital) + developed by Dante. Hopefully Jelks can turn his injury fortune and develop into solid swing T.

Could turn into spending another high draft pick for T third year in a row. At least next class looks much more promising and deeper than recent ones..

The question for draftniks should be, how do the Browns, Lions, Jets etc have tons of premium picks and still suck?

Because none'f'm have Mad Bill running their show. :cool:

...Or was that a rhetorical question?
39.gif

Not sure how anyone can label the 2017 draft a bust or boom, the Pats only used 4 picks and their first pick was #83...

Of course they traded their 1st for Brandin Cooks, but somehow despite the draft incompetence they made it to the Superbowl.. again!!!

IMO BB built last years roster without benefit of a higher round draft pick, classic mind f... ck.

Makes no sense why we'd let him go then, if he is medically okay. I think there might be a bit more to it!
I doubt the Pats would release a 3rd round pick who essentially hasn't had the opportunity to even practice unless the medical reports came back that he shouldn't/couldn't play. They would at least need to get him on the practice field to assess talent/ability.

I am actually so gutted for him. He seemed like such a good player coming to us when the draft happened. I really just hope his Health is okay, and that he won't have a life long problems with the Blood Clots.

Hope he can find a good job for himself or find some way into football

Garcia is likely on blood thinners and clot buster for the remainder of his life Any bleeding can be serious. If he does have a serious bleeding issue due to injury and they pull off the blood thinners, the clots can return quickly and create risk of embolism and stroke. This is a very difficult problem for a young man with elite athletic skill. I wish him well.

Hopefully, Hoyer won't be quarterback for week two after Brady has to play
behind a lousy offensive line.

What is with the "lousy offensive line" thinking? This is an excellent veteran line with a great rookie G-T and blocking TE coming in. As long as Scarnecchia is running the show, they'll be great. I am very impressed with the guys coming in. To my thinking, the best offseason work was in building depth and youth along the OL with Solder moving on for the end of his career.

Even better, the RB position has excellent pass blocker to help with overloads and blitzes. If anything, there is focus on helping Brady succeed at the end of his career.

The defensive front 7 is the only concern I have, and if the new guys pan out, that too could be very good.

This makes the drafting of Wynn and the trade for Brown make a LOT more sense. Clearly the Pats knew more about Garcia's "recovery" than we did. It was clear to them that he was NOT going to get back to his playing weight (and he was slightly undersized to begin with) in time to be a factor, OR their doctors didn't think he should be playing football given his condition. Either way, it is a shame and I wish the kid well.

I wonder if he was a participant in the offseason work out program, and the Pats saw how far he was behind his competition, or whether it was just a medical thing.

This makes the drafting of Wynn and the trade for Brown make a LOT more sense. Clearly the Pats knew more about Garcia's "recovery" than we did. It was clear to them that he was NOT going to get back to his playing weight (and he was slightly undersized to begin with) in time to be a factor, OR their doctors didn't think he should be playing football given his condition. Either way, it is a shame and I wish the kid well.

I wonder if he was a participant in the offseason work out program, and the Pats saw how far he was behind his competition, or whether it was just a medical thing.

Except that the fact that Wynn is also hurt and won't be able to participate in mini camp, making it even more unlikely that he ends up as the starting LT. Nobody knows anything about Cannon status either, all we know is that he can't practice now either, so right now, the Pats have a guy they just traded for in Brown and Cranston as tackles. YIKES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News