PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Thoughts: Pats earn a Rocky Mountain Bye Week Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Demaryius Thomas once again showed he is one of the softest players in the NFL. He cost the Broncos any chance of getting back into the game when he couldn't hold onto the ball when McCourty hit him. And then after the game, he reportedly blamed the lack of quality QB for the Broncos' problems.

WOW. I hadn't heard that Thomas had thrown Siemian and Lynch under the bus like that.

The only other thing I would say is that the refs never called holding on the Pats D. There were some plays I noticed, were Long just got tackled, that went uncalled. Once, it was in the endzone.

Amazing development in one season for Malcolm Butler. Even after the greatest Interception of all time I would say few if any had him pegged as the Monster he has become at corner.
Nasty attitude on the field too which helps.
Butler is like edelman on offense. Fun to watch him hitting running backs.

No team in the NFL has a CB tandem like Talib and Chris Harris Jr. No team combines such a secondary with a pass rush like Denver. They might try finding some inspirations, but they can't execute the same game plan as Denver.

Agreed.
Yet how many times has Denver LOST this year, and against offenses inferior to ours?

I am sure other teams will try and look at the tape and see how they can slow down this offense. Did denver play press coverage all game long?

Zo pointed out on the radio(as it was happening) that as soon as Denver got out of press man and wen't into zone in the 2nd quarter Brady began completing passes. The Broncos from that point forward alternated their coverages, when Brady saw zone he checked into pass plays.

Agreed.
Yet how many times has Denver LOST this year, and against offenses inferior to ours?
Loss 1 vs Falcons: 23 points for Atlanta, Matt Ryan 15-28 for 267 yards and a TD, 167 yards and 7 completions to his RBs who also rushed for 119 yards on 29 carries

Loss 2 vs Chargers: 19 points for San Diego, Philip Rivers 18-29 for 178 yards and a TD, their RBs picked up 99 yards on 29 carries

Loss 3 vs Raiders: 30 points for Oakland, Derek Carr 20-31 for 184 yards no TDs, their backs rushed for 215 yards on 39 carries

Loss 4 vs Chiefs: 21 points for Kansas City (in OT), Alex Smith 26-44 for 220 yards and a TD, KC rushed for 81 yards on 24 carries

Loss 5 vs Titans: 13 points for Tennessee, Marcus Mariota 6-20 for 88 yards, they picked up 142 yards on the ground on 34 carries, additionally Mariota scrambled for another 38 yards

Loss 6 vs Patriots: 16 points for New England, Tom Brady 16-32 for 188 yards, the RBs ran for 137 yards on 38 carries

You see the theme here? The key to beating Denver is stifling them on defence while playing turnover-free ball on offense leaning on a heavy dose of run game. Everybody but the Chiefs beat them that same way. And as for poor offense, Falcons lead the league in scoring at 33.5 PPG, Chargers are 4th at 26.1, Oakland 3rd at 26.9. KC and Tennessee have clearly inferior offenses, but the other three aren't particularly worse than the Patriots offense without the Gronk.

I am sure other teams will try and look at the tape and see how they can slow down this offense. Did denver play press coverage all game long?

Brady and the Patriots can adapt to anything opposing defenses take away.

Wasn't the greatest performance in Brady's career but for what was given he had a good day. Not too many if any at all dumb plays which is all you can ask for when your defense is playing well.

Denver seems to play this way every week and it's cost them 6 games.

Even on the throw to Lewis deep right which some would call ill advised and not a High percentage play was thrown where no one could get it. Threw the ball away when he had too and didn't force it. Probably game plan and he followed it with a winning result.

Psychologically you can lose a kicker overnight where he second guesses himself the rest of his career. It's good to see Gostowski is back and he not only had a great game yesterday but has also been consistent the last 3 games.

The oline is fantastic. Don't even think there is a true weak link in it. A lot of focus on Cannon which is well deserved but Solder is also having his own emergence as one of the greats. As some have mentioned maybe he is expected to be great which is why his play has gone without a ton of fan fare. Despite I imagine having the most penalties(without checking stats) Thuney is still a darn good rookie. He's starting which says a lot, but he will also learn with more experience. Thought Shaq Mason's development would be slower, he is in hyperdrive right now. Andrews was the clear right choice. I am one of the ones that will heap the praise on Dante and match coincidence with success and good teaching.

This defense just blows me away sometimes. You think you know what good defenses are and then you don't. It's something that takes some getting used to, but the results are what they are. Lower point totals than the other team. Recently though, it feels like the good defense look is catching up with the ppg. Swagger, penetration, pressure, turnovers and good coverage all seem to be coming together right at the right time.

I love December football, it's seems to be the truest gauge of a teams character, ability and coaching. It's been mentioned so many times by BB and Brady and it really is a measure of how far and much your chances are in January. Probably the reason preseason, September and October football questions are met with a shrug.

Anyway, chalk this up with one of those games you penciled in on the calendar with a little bit of uncertainty back when the schedule came out. Great result.

WOW. I hadn't heard that Thomas had thrown Siemian and Lynch under the bus like that.

Yeah, he called last year a fluke and teams can't win without a good QB. Clearly stating the Broncos have no good QB.

Yeah, he called last year a fluke and teams can't win without a good QB. Clearly stating the Broncos have no good QB.

WOW.. He and Sanders deserve each other.. So glad neither are in NE.

I want TJ Ward to be fined for that late hit on Edelman. It was disgusting and blatant and I hated the "flexing" after. Way too much of a cheap shot. Ward is a dirty player.
That part where he got flagged for it and essentially ended the game was pretty cool though.

I also really like how this is at least the second time this system that the public has become aware of the Broncos' secondary ****ting all over the other units on the team. This whole "we're doing our part, it's you guys that suck" finger-pointing would never fly under Belichick, he'd ferret out and destroy that whole line of thinking months before it got to this point.

To me, Ward's whole flexing routine is an interesting window into that unit's mentality. It sure seems like the secondary is coming out of that game feeling like they, at least, won - even if the rest of the team didn't. Which is a loser's mentality that's exclusive to losing teams (and, for some reason, the 2000 Ravens). Sure seems like we broke them.

I disagree completely, If they had Gronk and wideouts who could beat Talib and Harris straight up you would have a point, but throwing to guys who are covered just to do so makes no sense. Brady knew he was limited and made it work, that's smart play by him. I'm not saying he had a great game but he can certainly beat great pass defenses and his resume more than proves it:

I felt that Brady had some receivers open early and he just rushed his passes and they were off. Even some of the clear drops you can blame on Brady a bit. White dropped a quick out pass that Brady seemed to have too much zip on. I blame White for that, but Brady didn't do him any favors.

People putting the blame on Brady for that first quarter should go back and take a look at how badly the WR's were getting beat up at the LOS. There was little to no separation.

Football question: Brady seemed to be throwing it at the WRs' feet. Was that on purpose if the separation wasn't there, or just bad throwing?

I have to say besides the return of Scar, Solder's and Andrews' return to the starting line up are significant upgrades from last season's o-line.
Be that as it may, I still miss Stork's huddle-break hop.

Nail on head with TB12 and PTSD. I was thinking the exact same thing. He just didn't have it vs a great pass D. Oh well. Tom is human

Kudos to Tom for mistake free football, game mgt, not trying to do too much and letting the D control the game which they did.

This game was an example between the differences of being a great passer and being a winning quarterback.

Throwing that pass out of the back of end zone was a smart move. The play broke down. Take the points.

Football question: Brady seemed to be throwing it at the WRs' feet. Was that on purpose if the separation wasn't there, or just bad throwing?

That was on purpose or at least on most throws it was. Less chance for a ball to get tipped up in the air and intercepted.

Throwing that pass out of the back of end zone was a smart move. The play broke down. Take the points.

Perfect example. Maybe if Gronk was out there you let an elite talent like that try to make a play but with the way the NEP D was owning DEN, no need.

Perfect example. Maybe if Gronk was out there you let an elite talent like that try to make a play but with the way the NEP D was owning DEN, no need.

That was a true "I trust our defense" throw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back