Game Thoughts: Pats earn a Rocky Mountain Bye Week Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Here we go:
  • I don't care what offenses the Pats have faced, the fact that 15 weeks into the season that they have the #1 scoring defense is no fluke or statistical abnormality. Time to give them their due. They still give up their yards here and there, but they don't give up points. And I can't remember the last time a team won a football game by getting more yards, but scoring less points than their opponents.
  • I have to say I questioned the whole Jamie Collins trade at the time, but in hindsight, it might have been a genius move. Who knows how much it affected the defense from his departure, but in recent weeks the defense has been far different. A lot more confidence and swagger. A lot more imaginative. Maybe this defense would be even better with Collins still here, but it may have been the wake up call the defense needed.
  • That was a big boy game from Malcolm Butler. Emmanuel Sanders was invisible all game. Usually it is Demaryius Thomas who turtles when someone gets physical with him. Yesterday it was Sanders who was manhandled by Butler right off the line.
  • Trey Flowers has the potential to turn into a pretty good pass rusher. He was getting pressure on three and four man rushes. It will be interesting to see how he responds when teams start to scheme against him like they used to do with Chandler Jones.
  • The Chris Canty Award for stupid celebrating after doing something that hurts your team goes to TJ Ward. I don't know what made his muscle flexing most stupid - the fact that he clearly committed a foul for unnecessary roughness or that, even if there was no foul, the Broncos were still down by 13 points with a little over 3 minutes left and the Broncos' offense hadn't done anything for most of the game.
  • I have a feeling that Brady was seeing ghosts early in the game. I think he might have had a little PTSD from the AFCCG last year. He seemed to get rid of the ball way too quickly and was way off target. Sure some of his incompletions were on his receivers, but he looked like he was playing a little scared. Glad to see him shake it off.
  • I will join the chorus of people praising Marcus Cannon yesterday. I know people are giving Scar most of the credit for his turnaround, but he is a different guy this year. He is leaner and quicker than he was in the past.
  • I think the entire o-line deserves kudos. Guys like like Nate Solder, Shaq Mason, and David Andrews are not getting enough credit. I have to say besides the return of Scar, Solder's and Andrews' return to the starting line up are significant upgrades from last season's o-line.
  • I know this is flying under the radar a bit, but whatever early season head problems Gostkowski had had, seem to have worked themselves out.
  • Demaryius Thomas once again showed he is one of the softest players in the NFL. He cost the Broncos any chance of getting back into the game when he couldn't hold onto the ball when McCourty hit him. And then after the game, he reportedly blamed the lack of quality QB for the Broncos' problems.

Last edited:
Nail on head with TB12 and PTSD. I was thinking the exact same thing. He just didn't have it vs a great pass D. Oh well. Tom is human

Kudos to Tom for mistake free football, game mgt, not trying to do too much and letting the D control the game which they did.

This game was an example between the differences of being a great passer and being a winning quarterback.

I don't think Brady was afraid of getting hit I think he was trying to get rid of it quicker than necessary because he thought their pass rush would get to him. Once he realized the OL had it covered and they could run he was fine. Not a big game from him but a really well managed game.

Amazing development in one season for Malcolm Butler. Even after the greatest Interception of all time I would say few if any had him pegged as the Monster he has become at corner.
Nasty attitude on the field too which helps.

Amazing development in one season for Malcolm Butler. Even after the greatest Interception of all time I would say few if any had him pegged as the Monster he has become at corner.
Nasty attitude on the field too which helps.

Agree completely, he's the best corner in football this season.

Nail on head with TB12 and PTSD. I was thinking the exact same thing. He just didn't have it vs a great pass D. Oh well. Tom is human

Kudos to Tom for mistake free football, game mgt, not trying to do too much and letting the D control the game which they did.

This game was an example between the differences of being a great passer and being a winning quarterback.

I disagree completely, If they had Gronk and wideouts who could beat Talib and Harris straight up you would have a point, but throwing to guys who are covered just to do so makes no sense. Brady knew he was limited and made it work, that's smart play by him. I'm not saying he had a great game but he can certainly beat great pass defenses and his resume more than proves it:

People putting the blame on Brady for that first quarter should go back and take a look at how badly the WR's were getting beat up at the LOS. There was little to no separation.

On defense, I thought the pats were brilliant in putting Butler on Sanders. Last year they put Butler on Thomas and Sanders just destroyed us. Bill correctly decided this time around to shut Sanders down and make Thomas beat us. The result was 3 points for Denver.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that Brady was seeing ghosts early in the game. I think he might have had a little PTSD from the AFCCG last year. He seemed to get rid of the ball way too quickly and was way off target. Sure some of his incompletions were on his receivers, but he looked like he was playing a little scared. Glad to see him shake it off.

Exactly. He was definitely rushing throws and missing some open guys, particularly early. It's understandable given how he was brutalized last year.

Kiszla: Unable to beat New England, that championship feeling has died for Broncos

According to the Denver Post the flexing was an act of defiance!

"Late in the fourth quarter, after most of the home crowd had turned its back on the defending champs and headed for the exit, there was Ward, out on the field, slamming New England receiver Julian Edelman to the ground with a vicious tackle on an incomplete pass. As the penalty flag for unnecessary roughness flew, Ward turned to the New England sideline, raised both arms above shoulder-level, bent his elbows and flexed his biceps defiantly at the Patriots.

This defense dies hard. 'We always fight,' Ward said."

People putting the blame on Brady for that first quarter should go back and take a look at how badly the WR's were getting beat up at the LOS. There was little to no separation.

The wrs have to be physical as well on the route. The donkey's have the best secondary in the league. I wonder what's the average QB rating against their defense.

I disagree completely, If they had Gronk and wideouts who could beat Talib and Harris straight up you would have a point, but throwing to guys who are covered just to do so makes no sense. Brady knew he was limited and made it work, that's smart play by him. I'm not saying he had a great game but he can certainly beat great pass defenses and his resume more than proves it:

Starting out 0-6 was incredibly uncharacteristic. Back foot throws to start. He was feeling the rush that wasn't really there.

Solid analysis @Rob0729 as usual....but no love for Lewis, who had a career high in carries and rushing yards?

One thing that this game showed is that the defense is good in terms of yards allowed as well which is very important in tight games of controlling field position.

I am sure other teams will try and look at the tape and see how they can slow down this offense. Did denver play press coverage all game long?

I am sure other teams will try and look at the tape and see how they can slow down this offense. Did denver play press coverage all game long?
No team in the NFL has a CB tandem like Talib and Chris Harris Jr. No team combines such a secondary with a pass rush like Denver. They might try finding some inspirations, but they can't execute the same game plan as Denver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back