PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Thoughts: Brady is back and likes playing with his shiny new toys edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, it's even better than that. Not only did they go 3-1 during the absence and are 4-1 now, but there was a noticeable difference in all 3 quarterbacks. I don't think any person can reasonably say that "it's the system" about any of them, because all 3 of them played different games and had different degrees of effectiveness and different reasons for success. More specifically, Garappolo looked a lot more polished and ready than Brissett, and yet the Pats were able to go 1-1 in Brissett's two starts. It allows the possibility of Garappolo being able to fetch the team something of major value in the offseason should they so choose, possibly an additional first round pick, although the Dak Prescott / Tony Romo dynamic could be adding to the offseason QB supply market.

FWIW, the Cowboys already have the most cap space consumed for 2017, and would have a $20M dead hit if they cut or trade Romo.

I remember reading that GRONK supposedly enjoys blocking even more than he does receiving.
Makes sense, it's the difference between hitting and getting hit.

FWIW, the Cowboys already have the most cap space consumed for 2017, and would have a $20M dead hit if they cut or trade Romo.

Yeah, Dak and Romo will both be in Dallas next year.

Here we go:
  • I didn't think Brady would be rusty like most (see how well he played opening game last year), but I didn't think he would be that sharp as he was off the bat. He was in midseason form.
  • It is clear that he loves his new weapons utilizing both Bennett and Hogan extensively this game. Hogan continues to live up to his 24-7 nickname because he was always open today. He gives Brady that somewhat deep threat off the bench that he hasn't had since Stallworth. Not something this offense needs, but it is an added benefit. Bennett is uncoverable like Gronk especially in the red zone. Sorry Gronk, but Brady may have a new red zone binkie.
  • Back to Hogan. I am surprised by the guy's speed. I guess I always had the impression that the guy was another quick, not fast guy that the Pats love. But the guy is a burner down the field.
  • I think we found out that the o-line issues of last year were more coaching than talent. I don't think other than LT, this o-line isn't worlds more talented than last year. But they were incredible in pass protection yesterday. See how an o-line can gel if they aren't changing the starting line up every game. They definitely need to work on their run blocking, but this offense is all about Brady and keeping him upright is the most important thing the o-line needs to do.
  • This was a breakout game for Malcolm Brown. The guy did a little of everything yesterday even dropping back in coverage. Hopefully this mirrors Big Vince's breakout second year after a disappointing rookie season (Brown had a far better rookie season).
  • Lost in all the Brady hype was the return of Rob Ninkovich. He wasn't on the field a huge amount and didn't really show up in the stats column, but he did really seem to make an impact to the defense. He definitely helped out against the best running offense in the League.
  • I know I may be biased, but I am glad the Pats got McCourty over Joe Haden. I know they don't play the same position anymore, but they were compared to each other a lot early in their careers. McCourty has turned into one of the best safeties in the game while Haden has turned into a above average CB after showing promise to be an elite one. I think Cleveland may have broke him or he lost his fire being on such a loser team.
  • Cyrus Jones has been a major disappointment this season thus far. He has had a few moments here and there, but he has stood out mostly for the bad stuff. His actions yesterday were just inexcusable. I think he will be working for a lot over the next weeks or months to get out of the doghouse.
  • One thing I felt over the first month of the season (minus the Miami game) is that James White was being underutilized. He is a great receiving threat. Brady seems to like the guy. I know I got crap about this before, but White has been a better receiver the last half dozen games or so when Brady was under center than Dion Lewis was. Lewis is more rounded because he is a great runner too.
  • Had next to no idea who Elandon Roberts was (typically don't pa much attention to late round picks because they have such trouble making this team). In fact, I forgot he was on the team. Certainly know who he is now. Hopefully he can build on yesterday's play and become a solid contributor.

"think we found out that the o-line issues of last year were more coaching than talent. I don't think other than LT, this o-line isn't worlds more talented than last year. But they were incredible in pass protection yesterday. See how an o-line can gel if they aren't changing the starting line up every game. They definitely need to work on their run blocking, but this offense is all about Brady and keeping him upright is the most important thing the o-line needs to do."

I think this is somewaht inaccurate. Dont forget they were forced to play 4-5 rookies; and without a LOT who was on IR. Plus Cannon was playing one one leg, but gutting it out, and not doing well; but he was the only one available.

This year they have matured and are playing only one rookie. They have 4 of 5 healthy Tackles with experience now including Solder their LOT. Only Vollmer is missing.

More specifically, Garappolo looked a lot more polished and ready than Brissett, and yet the Pats were able to go 1-1 in Brissett's two starts. It allows the possibility of Garappolo being able to fetch the team something of major value in the offseason should they so choose, possibly an additional first round pick, although the Dak Prescott / Tony Romo dynamic could be adding to the offseason QB supply market.

As long as Romo isn't traded to Denver, I'm good. :) They can send him anywhere else.

Considering that Romo is damaged goods at this point and that Prescott is winning game after game without major making mistakes, Jones would have to be a major idiot to trade Dak Prescott - no one is trading anything of value for the corpse of a once great QB. That being said, we are talking about Jerruh.

Oh, shoot, they aren't trading Dak Prescott, that's for sure. If anyone will get traded, it will be Tony Romo (and/or Dez Bryant) once the new season hits in 2017. Prescott is in a rookie year where they control his rights for the next (almost) 4 seasons on the cheap. In comparison, Tony Romo has a 25m dollar cap hit next year.

In this instance, I don't really think it matters all that much in the 2016 version of Prescott vs. Romo, and that's mainly due to the emergence of Ezekiel Elliot and the running game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back