PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agent CB Alterraun Verner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Talib seems to want to get paid Brent Grimes money. Are you comfortable with paying out $8 million a year for Talib? That's big money for a guy who missed a lot of time, sometimes lets his emotions get the better of him (Carolina game), and who is not a consistent shutdown corner? I think Talib is way overvalued.

Why not spend the money on Verner? I think he will cost less, because most seem to view Talib as a better corner. He might be a better system fit. Verner is one of the best in zone coverage, which Belichick and Patricia stubbornly adhere to (to our repeated frustration). So, if the system isn't changing, why not bring in someone who better fits the system?

Talib seems to want to get paid Brent Grimes money. Are you comfortable with paying out $8 million a year for Talib? That's big money for a guy who missed a lot of time, sometimes lets his emotions get the better of him (Carolina game), and who is not a consistent shutdown corner? I think Talib is way overvalued.

Why not spend the money on Verner? I think he will cost less, because most seem to view Talib as a better corner. He might be a better system fit. Verner is one of the best in zone coverage, which Belichick and Patricia stubbornly adhere to (to our repeated frustration). So, if the system isn't changing, why not bring in someone who better fits the system?

The Pats went to ZONE coverage when they had people injured. When Dennard and Talib were healthy, the Pats were playing MAN Coverage. OH, and, btw, 2 of the 3 SBs that the Pats won were with guys playing in Zone Coverage as part of the 3-4 Defense they were running.

Now, all that being said, I like Verner. He surpassed expectations in Tennessee to earn a starting job there. The problem some people would have is that he fits into the "smurf" category of CB being a just a shy over 5'10.

I wouldn't mind adding him, but he did have some groin issues that may not be 100% healed yet.

Now, all that being said, I like Verner. He surpassed expectations in Tennessee to earn a starting job there. The problem some people would have is that he fits into the "smurf" category of CB being a just a shy over 5'10.

I wouldn't mind adding him, but he did have some groin issues that may not be 100% healed yet.
I'm not sure a platoon of smaller DBs is what the Patriots should want matched up against the growing size of red zone threats.

If they played zone they could put McCourtey back a corner and he could be competent. Wen they switched to man that's when he started looking clueless out there. In any event I'm for going after another comparable corner instead of Talib.

If you're going to pass on Talib, go get Sam Shields and Brandon Browner.

If they played zone they could put McCourtey back a corner and he could be competent. Wen they switched to man that's when he started looking clueless out there. In any event I'm for going after another comparable corner instead of Talib.

If you're suggesting that DMcC should move back to CB, I don't think we'd see that on a full-time basis, but he has played some snaps at both CB/S since his move. It's possible that will happen in the future as well depending upon other variables.

We're way too thin at the position of safety right now though, to change too much up. Hopefully, they'll address safety via BOTH methods of the offseason in free agency and the draft.

If you're going to pass on Talib, go get Sam Shields and Brandon Browner.

Make these moves + bring in another DL or two, and things could be just fine--if not even improved.

Make these moves + bring in another DL or two, and things could be just fine--if not even improved.

After the Aaron Hernandez Fiasco and the fact that Browner is going to miss 4 (or more) games this season, I just don't see the Pats going in that direction.

I could see them bringing in Sam Shields.

I definitely want them looking at free agent 3/5-Tech DTs. Lamar Houston would be good. Red Bryant would be a decent consolation prize.

Am I the only one who thinks Verner won't even necessarily be cheaper?

I agree. Most analysts have Verner rated as the #1 CB, he's younger than Talib and doesn't have the same baggage. I think he could certainly command more money.

Verner is a fine choice, and could even be seen to be preferable to Talib.

I'm not sure a platoon of smaller DBs is what the Patriots should want matched up against the growing size of red zone threats.

Verner is not as tall as Talib but he is a very physical CB. The size thing is a bit of a misconception anyway. Take Talib for example, he went to the combine and was 6’0” 202 Lbs., then look at Dennard he was 5’10” 204 Lbs. When you look at that, you consider that Dennard is the heavier more muscular player Lb. for Lb.

On a side note, in my opinion, the most talented CB on the market this season is Dominique Rodger-Cromartie, the problem is that his commitment to the game is questionable. I wonder if Belichick could light a fire under him and make him the player he has the talent to be.

No, you are right on in my opinion. Verner will get a bigger contract then Talib if you ask me, the agent of Talib can ask for anything he wants and that is fine for the media to report but it does not mean it will happen. Talib was a UFA in 2013 and received a 1-year $5M contract from us, I am not sure what exactly he did in 2013 to change his value so dramatically. He became a year older, once again had hip issues that caused him to miss games, and he was knocked out of the AFC Championship game for the second year in a row.

This belief that Talib is going to get Brett Grimes money is ridiculous in my opinion, Grimes does not have near the baggage of Talib. In addition, the Dolphins overspend consistently on players look at Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline, and others, thinking the Dolphins are market setting contract examples is foolish (not saying you are suggesting that, I am just making a general assertion).

Verner is not as tall as Talib but he is a very physical CB. The size thing is a bit of a misconception anyway. Take Talib for example, he went to the combine and was 6’0” 202 Lbs., then look at Dennard he was 5’10” 204 Lbs. When you look at that, you consider that Dennard is the heavier more muscular player Lb. for Lb.

On a side note, in my opinion, the most talented CB on the market this season is Dominique Rodger-Cromartie, the problem is that his commitment to the game is questionable. I wonder if Belichick could light a fire under him and make him the player he has the talent to be.
Being strong doesn't defend 6'5 with height and reach advantage. It's what makes Gronk a match up nightmare for every defender in the NFL. The guy carried 3 DBs into the end zone on a touchdown. Three!

I think its time for the Captain!...........Munnerlyn that is.....hes a VERY physical corner

Being strong doesn't defend 6'5 with height and reach advantage. It's what makes Gronk a match up nightmare for every defender in the NFL. The guy carried 3 DBs into the end zone on a touchdown. Three!

He would have carried Talib too; those two inches mean nothing in that situation. The only time two inches is going to aid a CB is in a jump ball situation, other than that it is technique, speed, and strength that is going to matter. Richard Sherman is strong, that is what makes him good, being 6’3” is great, but it is his greatness is cause of his strength and physical play.

I think its time for the Captain!...........Munnerlyn that is.....hes a VERY physical corner

I would love to have him over Arrington as the slot CB. He is not very good outside though, so he would not be a great signing to replace Talib.

Welcome to the board :welcome2:

The Pats went to ZONE coverage when they had people injured. When Dennard and Talib were healthy, the Pats were playing MAN Coverage. OH, and, btw, 2 of the 3 SBs that the Pats won were with guys playing in Zone Coverage as part of the 3-4 Defense they were running.

The Pats didn't play a 3-4 in 2 Super Bowl wins.

He would have carried Talib too; those two inches mean nothing in that situation. The only time two inches is going to aid a CB is in a jump ball situation, other than that it is technique, speed, and strength that is going to matter. Richard Sherman is strong, that is what makes him good, being 6’3” is great, but it is his greatness is cause of his strength and physical play.
I don't particularly agree with your opinion but I will acknowledge that technique, speed and strength are contributing factors to good play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back