PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For the "Brady made Belichick" crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll take two years they won the Super Bowl (2016, 2018) and some simple stats to highlight why "defensive DVOA" and these analytics are garbage.

In 2018 the Patriots defense was 7th best in points allowed (per drive) and 7th in total points allowed... any stat that ranks them 19th is crap. They were 8th in offensive points scored per drive... the D also held the Rams to a historically low Super Bowl score of three points.

In 2016 the Patriots defense was 2nd best in points allowed (per drive) and 1st in total points allowed... any stat that ranks them 16th is total horse s**t.

Bill's opinion on analytics...

Belichick, during his weekly Friday press conference, was asked how big of a role analytics plays into the Patriots' day-to-day operations. "Less than zero," Belichick said, via ProFootballTalk.com. "Analytics is not really my thing."Belichick essentially said the same thing in 2016 when asked about analytics. "You could take those advanced websites and metric them wherever you want," Belichick said less than three months before winning his fifth Super Bowl, an overtime win over Atlanta in Super Bowl LI. "I don't know. I have no idea. I've never looked at one. I don't even care to look at one. I don't care what they say ... All the metric pages and all of that, I mean I have no idea. You'd need to ask that to a smarter coach than me."

Stop letting PFF or whomever tell you what is good, go by records and point differential instead. They judge win/loss based off points, not analytics.

Regarding Belichick & analytics, I think he is simply lying. Dude has a degree in economics and runs his team like one. If you know Ernie Adams relationship with Bill Belichick, you know he values analytics perhaps more than any other HC

“The analytics and different ways of trying to improve and construct a team are important. We're all here really to do one thing, whatever our role or job is, whatever team or organization we work for, and that's to try to find ways to improve. Find a better way to approach our team or business. To look at different strategies and pick the best one, and ultimately try to motivate and instruct the people we work with to perform to a higher level, including ourselves. ... I certainly respect the mathematical and statistical ways of looking at the game, and trying to use those methods and those results to improve our product on the field."

Bill outlook sounds about right. Doubtful he spends 20 years with the Pats though.

Brady would probably win none. Certainly wouldn’t have had a 19 year career either. Probably not in the league for long at all if he gets drafted by another team. His scouting report speaks for itself and that’s why he was ignored by teams until pick 199. Would have never gotten a fair shot if it wasn’t the Patriots. No chance.

Who the f*** cares what his scouting report said? He turned out to be the most clutch QB in NFL history. Was that on there? Or was that only a product of him being in NE?

I know you will be surprised if the Pats make the playoffs this year, but will you be happy? I doubt it.
I do not hope or wish injury for the 43 year old Brady like yourself. Yes, Brady got paid here, but I am forever grateful for all that he has done for the NE region and the way that he has handled himself publicly. I am not threatened to see Brady win on a new team and hopefully achieve his 7th ring.

Last edited:
Who the f*** cares what his scouting report said? He turned out to be the most clutch QB in NFL history. Was that on there? Or was that only a product of him being in NE?
Im not talking about that. I’m talking about whether he would have gotten a shot in this league by another team picking him in the draft.

Every scouting report two years ago said that Darnold, Allen, Mayfield and Rosen were safer picks than Lamar Jackson. The fact that we waited 6 rounds to grab Brady shows we were okay with letting someone else grab him and only got him in the crapshoot rounds where picks aren’t worth much

Brady and Belichick would not have 6 rings if they weren’t a team. Period. I’ll leave it there.

Brady and Belichick would not have 6 rings if they weren’t a team. Period. I’ll leave it there.

Exactly. No need to dump on either. The BB and TB marriage was the greatest HC QB combo this league has ever seen. Going to nine super bowls and winning six in twenty years is just an insane amount of success. It's truly a game of inches in which one decision or one clutch pass pass made all the difference. Both TB and BB are equally responsible for all of the success although during some games it may have been more one than the other.

TB ending up in Tampa Bay is no different than two good married people getting divorced. Blaming either of them is just ridiculous. I hope both of them win one more ring because although their legacies of being GOATS are tied together I'd like to see them show the world what I already know. They are both the greatest and I benefited as a fan watching them do their job.

The Greatest QB the league has ever seen "may have not" gotten a shot somewhere else. You're a freaking genius. Holy crapola.

Except he was not the greatest QB of all time at that point in time and it took him until 2004/2005 to break into the "great" tier. And even a bit longer to get into the elite tier.

If he gets released as a fourth QB after his first camp with his measurables and college history it wouldn't be a big surprise if he never gets an actual chance to grow into the player everyone knows him as now. I am sure there are a bunch of potential AP level players -- maybe even HoF talent -- that never made it out of their first camp for various reasons.

I don't see why you'd think this is a ridiculous take even though I fully understand your frustration with the other poster. Imo it just shows how little time most of those kids have to make a case for themselves and how our 16 year streak of having a UDFA on the roster is something remarkable.

Arians is actually an excellent coach.

When has he ever shown that ? He is the typical average blowhard coach. An older version of Todd Haley.

Except he was not the greatest QB of all time at that point in time and it took him until 2004/2005 to break into the "great" tier. And even a bit longer to get into the elite tier.

If he gets released as a fourth QB after his first camp with his measurables and college history it wouldn't be a big surprise if he never gets an actual chance to grow into the player everyone knows him as now. I am sure there are a bunch of potential AP level players -- maybe even HoF talent -- that never made it out of their first camp for various reasons.

I don't see why you'd think this is a ridiculous take even though I fully understand your frustration with the other poster. Imo it just shows how little time most of those kids have to make a case for themselves and how our 16 year streak of having a UDFA on the roster is something remarkable.

Even in his first year Brady showed his cool under pressure trait. The last drive in SB 36 that Madden didn't initially like was just clutch as hell for a young kid in a situation where everything was on the line.

BB chose to go for the win instead of kneeling for overtime because he trusted his QB.

The reason Brady was carried as a fourth was because BB saw something in him. If released he would have ended up on some other team and ended up as the starting QB. He would have been great anywhere.

Even in his first year Brady showed his cool under pressure trait. The last drive in SB 36 that Madden didn't initially like was just clutch as hell for a young kid in a situation where everything was on the line.

BB chose to go for the win instead of kneeling for overtime because he trusted his QB.

The reason Brady was carried as a fourth was because BB saw something in him. If released he would have ended up on some other team and ended up as the starting QB. He would have been great anywhere.

You are retroactively applying what he turned out to be onto what he wasn't in the year where he was drafted. He could have easily been cut due to other tough roster situations if things went differently or if someone got injured and they needed the spot.

Just because your QB3/4 developed into the GOAT over the course of 6-7 years doesn't make his position on the roster initially any less precarious. Acknowledging the reality of it all doesn't cheapen anything about Brady's career. If anything it just highlights even more how amazing his story has been.

You are retroactively applying what he turned out to be onto what he wasn't in the year where he was drafted. He could have easily been cut due to other tough roster situations if things went differently or if someone got injured and they needed the spot.

Just because your QB3/4 developed into the GOAT over the course of 6-7 years doesn't make his position on the roster initially any less precarious. Acknowledging the reality of it all doesn't cheapen anything about Brady's career. If anything it just highlights even more how amazing his story has been.

Anything other than what did happen is theoretical.

What did happen was that BB carried him as a QB4 because he saw something he liked. "Virtually a wasted roster spot". What did happen is that he became the QB2 the next season and then the starter. He wasn't getting cut in either season.

Brady would have been great anywhere but because he was with BB he became the greatest. And vice versa.

Sorry if a re-run, cant read 15 pages...

I was a Browns fan until the Pats were born, mainly because of Jim Brown.

We can only imagine how great the Browns could have been if Ozzie and Bill stayed together in Cleveland. There were also quite a few good coaches on that staff.

It's too bad that the fans were led astray by the mediots and faulted Belichick over Modell. One of my best friends is a lifelong Browns fan and he still hates Belichick. When I went there in 2000 with him for a Pats game (a loss) I was astounded at how much they all despised Bill.

Then we went again 10 years later (another Pats loss) and although the hate wasn't as strong, it was still there. It was a great example of the power of the press. How are things there now?

The fan base is so beat down, it's like a Greek tragedy.

Sorry this is bs. Cleveland had one bad year before he got there. The 6 years preceding Belichick they went to 3 AFC Championship Games. Any Cleveland fan would take the period immediately before Bill over his 5 years.

The rest of your post is just justification for a small sample size. Newsflash the 11-5 season followed a 16-0 season. So Bill did worse despite an easier schedule. The 3-1in 2016 was followed by Brady going 13-1 and winning a SB and beating the **** our of the 1 team they lost to in that 4 game stretch (who shut them out btw).

But be selective buddy

Yup

Stuck on stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes