PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For everyone that knows more than JMD

Pats2000

In the Starting Line-Up
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
For all the tools that think they know better than JMD.

JT out here validating everything the team is doing

Could you please summarize? No offense, but I’m not big on threads where you need to watch a 30 minute video to understand the content. What’s the gist? Josh is bringing Mac along by step-by-step design?

Could you please summarize? No offense, but I’m not big on threads where you need to watch a 30 minute video to understand the content. What’s the gist? Josh is bringing Mac along by step-by-step design?
Basically, Mac in most cases is taking what is the defense giving him and the Pats are putting together well designed plays that will help him gain confidence and learn as he goes.

Basically, Mac in most cases is taking what is the defense giving him and the Pats are putting together well designed plays that will help him gain confidence and learn as he goes.

Thanks for the explanation. I don’t mean to be a jerk here, and I’m really high on Mac, but the concern is exactly that: Mac is taking what the defenses are giving him. Defenses will gladly give quarterbacks a ton of passes to avoid a big-time chunk play. The offense can’t sustain itself because 15-play drives often require a handful of 3rd down conversions, and usually sacks and offensive penalties will kill the momentum. And in the red zone, taking what the defense gives you is even more of a steel trap.

This is not to say that Mac can’t hit big plays or that McD should open it all up and have him start launching passes. Just my general takeaway is that this doesn’t actually alleviate the concerns.

They will need to take more chances downfield if they want to be competitive for the next 2 games

Thanks for the explanation. I don’t mean to be a jerk here, and I’m really high on Mac, but the concern is exactly that: Mac is taking what the defenses are giving him. Defenses will gladly give quarterbacks a ton of passes to avoid a big-time chunk play. The offense can’t sustain itself because 15-play drives often require a handful of 3rd down conversions, and usually sacks and offensive penalties will kill the momentum. And in the red zone, taking what the defense gives you is even more of a steel trap.

This is not to say that Mac can’t hit big plays or that McD should open it all up and have him start launching passes. Just my general takeaway is that this doesn’t actually alleviate the concerns.

This would be a great week 16 post but week 2?? You sound like a bride left at the alter. :)

So the defenses have all been playing deep as to not let an unproven Qb beat them deep with all the speedy weapons we have? I believe the bringing him along slowly thing, but not taking what the defense is giving.

Mac is so much better than Marc Wilson was. Some of you folks have no idea of what crappy QBs are. We lived thru those dark times. It was tough.

Mac is so much better than Marc Wilson was. Some of you folks have no idea of what crappy QBs are. We lived thru those dark times. It was tough.
Yeah I dont know what he is based on two games. I will let you know in 5 years.

True, but in the Jets game, there were very few downfield open throws. The game is intentionally designed as a short passing game. They aren't trying to push the ball downfield right now.

What we saw in the Fins game was that Mac had the ability to throw the intermediate throws in the face of pressure and knew where the open receiver was based on where the blitz was coming from.

JT's words were a very well designed passing game to bring the rookie along. At we going to care if Mac isn't throwing a ton of TDs if he isn't turning the ball over and Pats are winning games?

They should have won the Fins game if not for two fumbles (even if one wasn't really a fumble)

So the defenses have all been playing deep as to not let an unproven Qb beat them deep with all the speedy weapons we have? I believe the bringing him along slowly thing, but not taking what the defense is giving.
See my response to ice ice brady

See my response to ice ice brady
I do not have an issue with what he is doing, and if later it opens up a bit more, then that is fine too, but it will have to at some point. The way this league is designed sometimes a QB just has to flat out win you a game, make tough throws and not be protected from messing up. I think that is where teams find out what they have. Sadly on really bad teams they dont have that option so they have to unload the playbook on a Qb and he ends up getting in trouble.
I mean I am happy that he played well vs miami in a loss and we beat the Jets, but those might be two of the worst teams in football after watching miami get rolled last week. There are going to be tougher games. What do you do then is the question.

I do not have an issue with what he is doing, and if later it opens up a bit more, then that is fine too, but it will have to at some point. The way this league is designed sometimes a QB just has to flat out win you a game, make tough throws and not be protected from messing up. I think that is where teams find out what they have. Sadly on really bad teams they dont have that option so they have to unload the playbook on a Qb and he ends up getting in trouble.
I mean I am happy that he played well vs miami in a loss and we beat the Jets, but those might be two of the worst teams in football after watching miami get rolled last week. There are going to be tougher games. What do you do then is the question.

This is why I’ve come to believe completion pct. isn’t just a poor indicator of performance but often tells the inverse of the truth. I was looking at top-10 comp pct leaders over the last decade, and it’s either random or a **** show. Guys like Sam Bradford, Alex Smith, etc. are up there due to safe throws only. Cam Newton last year is similar. Drew Brees was at his “best” when his arm fell off and he couldn’t throw downfield. It seems more indicative of risk/play selection than accuracy.

Give him a couple of games man. I know he will have to upload it, but even the difference between the worst teams and best teams can be small on any given Sunday

This is why I’ve come to believe completion pct. isn’t just a poor indicator of performance but often tells the inverse of the truth. I was looking at top-10 comp pct leaders over the last decade, and it’s either random or a **** show. Guys like Sam Bradford, Alex Smith, etc. are up there due to safe throws only. Cam Newton last year is similar. Drew Brees was at his “best” when his arm fell off and he couldn’t throw downfield. It seems more indicative of risk/play selection than accuracy.
The goal always, is to win. Fantasy football has ruined that for fans. So yeah, completion pct is not indicative of winning. Scoring is. Throwing nice safe throws and being given about 10 plays they will let you run, will get that completion pct up, but when a big game happens, then what? If it was the way to win, then others would do that, they dont. Winning is about risk taking, its also about knowing when to take the risk. Completion pct has never been about accuracy. Some people dont get that.

Yeah well this is true then. Contrary to construction worker guy beliefs, it's not that Mac has a bad arm. It's the OLine sucks so bad and regardless of whatever crappy shotgun play is called, Mac is looking first for the quick throw. The right read. This is all a concern I had abou Mac playing too soon, going to get bad habits from an oc calling sh-tty plays that get Mac hit a lot otherwise.

Give him a couple of games man. I know he will have to upload it, but even the difference between the worst teams and best teams can be small on any given Sunday
Of course and again, I have no issue with what they are going. I am just saying they are doing it becuase they can. A bad team has to put all their hopes on the high draft pick QB, so they throw him to the wolves. Patriots do not have to do that. Bill is not trying to keep his job, they have time, others dont, they want results and they want them now. What he turns into, I dont know, its really hard to tell. Lots of factors, injuries, how quickly you process information, clutch factor. Its just really those things that you learn over time and never right away. How do they deal with getting new wideouts, how do they handle losing, how do they handle a bad game, just so many things. He has a golden opportunity to make his case. Its not a one shot deal here. He can mess up and its ok. Time is on his side, he just has to take advantage of it.

Its not like he is playing bad, its not like he looks lost. Just the opposite, so I am in no way saying, oh well he is done because that is silly. What I am basically saying is that people will have to have patience and the expectations that have been here for 20 years or winning the superbowl or bust every year, has to go down a notch. Every time he does something, I read media saying, wow Brady did that, or that looked like Brady, that needs to go, because he needs to be Mac Jones, and people need to stop trying to make him Brady.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back