PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Football without fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are JUST getting anti-body tests to healthcare workers. Who the heck knows when us common serfs will get access? Building a B29 took less time...

what's going to happen is this virus will appear to have run it's course once the weather gets warm......and then come back worse when the weather gets cold......my most likely scenario is the season starting on time, but not completing.

This is what I see happening. Covid19 is with us until we have a vaccine and only if the virus doesn't mutate in the meantime.

What is going to happen if the season starts and then a couple of players test positive for Covid19? The NBA suspended their season when the first players tested positive and there has been no games since then.

We might even get half the season played if not more and heading towards the play-offs before another Covid19 spike hits again. Without a widely distributed vaccine I don't see a Super Bowl in Feb 2021.

"Football without fans"

This was always the inevitable outcome of Goodell's tenure. Covid-19 just gave it a push.

Conservative math:
$100 ticket/concession revenue per audience member (ha ha I know)
60,000 seats per game = $6,000,000 per game
16 games a week...$96,000,000 per week
for 16 weeks... $1.5 Billion in lost revenue.

Does it work financially?

I don't think there will be any preseason apart from camp. The travel involved is just too much of a risk vector in terms of COVID infections that could effectively suspend the operations of both involved teams for about 2-3 weeks.

Having training camp where the staff and players are essentially in isolation for 2-3 weeks carries much less risk. Of course this still leaves open the question of family contact and whatnot in that time. I just can't see a scenario where they let personnel and players out of the isolated "safe zone" and have tests every day.
And if you can’t have fans preseason games do nothing financially for the owners.

How things go with basketball and hockey will give is insight into how football goes. I think baseball is done and will have to look at 2021.

My 2 cents....

"As each day passes and new statistics pour in regarding infection rate vs death rate, it is becoming increasing clear covid stats are in line with typical flu stats."

Totally disagree. Flu stats are estimations, purely conjecture. Johns Hopkins Center for System Science and Engineering estimates for flu are 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year, and 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year, which makes for a difficult, if not meaningless, basis for comparison.

However, in the U.S., as of Apr. 27, 2020 there are a reported 989K confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 54,877 deaths. (5.5%) Whereas, the estimated fatality rate of the flu is less than 1%.

Additionally, the COVID-19 situation is changing rapidly. Since this disease is caused by a new virus, people do not have immunity to it, and a vaccine may be many months away. Doctors and scientists are working on estimating the mortality rate of COVID-19, but at present, it is thought to be higher than that of most strains of the flu.

What is of significant importance is that COVID-19 can be spread through the airborne route, meaning that tiny droplets remaining in the air could cause disease in others even after the ill person is no longer near.

Although both the flu and coronavirus cause fever, cough, body aches and fatigue; sometimes vomiting and diarrhea, and can result in pneumonia, both can also be spread by an infected person for several days before their symptoms appear.

However, the flu is caused by any of several different types and strains of influenza viruses for which there are antiviral medications that address symptoms and sometimes shorten the duration of the illness. In addition there is an available vaccine that effectively prevents some of the most dangerous types and reduces the severity of the flu.

In contrast to the flu, COVID-19 is caused by one virus, the novel 2019 coronavirus, now called severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, or SARS-CoV-2, for which there are no effective antiviral medications nor any vaccine.

Given how quiet the fans at Gillette usually are, it would probably prove a benefit to the patriots.

Conservative math:

Perhaps, but they are still breaking even on TV alone and the merch is extra. Plus, they don’t want to make regular folks realize they can indeed live w/o football.

I vote they will do anything they can to play - even if it’s no fans. The problem I see, California seems to be pretty adamant they aren’t opening concerts/sports anytime soon. The League won’t say « yes » to Florida and « no » to California.

Relax

Bob Kraft has you covered

Last edited:
Conservative math:

Just have every fan drink a little Bleach and submit to an oral and anal UV light cavity search before entering the stadium.

I feel great about it. I watch for the competition. From my couch, on TV.

If there is competition on TV and a week’s worth of talking about said sport - I’m happy. The number of fans in the seats is irrelevant to me. Maybe I’m in the minority.

Football is a spectator sport, but really the $ comes from TV. And that $ is what matters to the 32.

I am a TV Football spectator fan. It is the on-field action I am watching, not the fans in the seats.

I feel strongly that it is the players that need the fans in the seats, and without fans in the seats, it will negatively affect their performance. I don't know if anyone else agrees with me?

They are JUST getting anti-body tests to healthcare workers. Who the heck knows when us common serfs will get access? Building a B29 took less time...
I'm usually optimistic but I have my doubts on getting a vaccine within a years time.

Games with no fans benefit the Jaguars and the Chargers.

In both places a fan is something that hangs from your ceiling joist. But then again, the same goes for the NY Jets.

fan.gif

A bit off topic but Formula 1 racing announced today , that the first race this year will be the Austrian Grand Prix on the 5th July and there will be no fans , next one after that will be in the uk ........again with no fans

Congrats, that is some achievement. You have attended every Pats game played at Gillette Stadium. Do you know how many games the total is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes