PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Football team releases Dwayne Haskins

Released with one game to go, they didn’t even try to trade him. Something else that we don’t About is coming. Usually the 15th pick in the draft makes it through their second year.

At least Harry can rest comfortably that he won’t be the first first rd pick from that draftreleased.

I normally am always open to taking a chance on young players with a high pedigree, but not in this case. Even if you ignore all of the off the field stuff, which is hard to do, but I just haven't seen anything from him on field that makes me think he is an NFL caliber QB. Other than his body, there just isn't anything about him that looks good to me. I would rather take a shot at Josh Rosen.

Bill should feel more comfortable releasing Harry now.

Going back to Haskins, this is what happens when NFL teams overvalue QB's you've rarely heard of until draft time. Him and Daniel Jones had no business being drafted where they were drafted.

Huh? Based on what? Haskins is much better pro prospect than Jones coming in. He had a great sophomore year at ohio state. It was his one complete year and then he turned pro. He had all the intangibles. His work ethic is lacking. Reminds me of Jamarcus Russell.

Waiver claim - absolutely not.

As a FA next year why not? won’t hurt.

Except it does hurt. There are limited reps and limited coaching time to go around. I'd rather it's spent on worthwhile players, guys who are practicing hard, trying their best, and at least fighting for a future in the league.

Haskins faced many disadvantages from his draft day onwards but his personal conduct has been poor. The combination of both together make it no surprise he won't be with the WFT for the third year of his rookie contract.

Dan Snyder personally drafted him and it seems Haskins would likely have been a third or fourth rounder. None of the coaching staff wanted him on the roster and the coaches said he certainly wasn't ready to be a starter in his rookie year. But like others have said his commitment to work was severely lacking and his in-game performance was terrible most of the time even though Washington had little talent on his side of the ball.

Letting him go with a game to go either sends a message to the rest of the roster by Riverboat Ron or sends a message to other teams to give Haskins a wide berth. Perhaps both.

Haskins faced many disadvantages from his draft day onwards but his personal conduct has been poor. The combination of both together make it no surprise he won't be with the WFT for the third year of his rookie contract.

Dan Snyder personally drafted him and it seems Haskins would likely have been a third or fourth rounder. None of the coaching staff wanted him on the roster and the coaches said he certainly wasn't ready to be a starter in his rookie year. But like others have said his commitment to work was severely lacking and his in-game performance was terrible most of the time even though Washington had little talent on his side of the ball.

Letting him go with a game to go either sends a message to the rest of the roster by Riverboat Ron or sends a message to other teams to give Haskins a wide berth. Perhaps both.

He was set up to fail though combine with his poor work ethic and you have what you have.

Last edited:
Take him, plunge him down the depth chart, plunge him down in a miserable northeast winter, make him re-evaluate life. Boom. Work ethic.

nah jk, seems like Easley. Tremendous ceiling with no want to get there (which is fine normally, but why go into a career for which you have no motivation, especially one that exposes you to media). I guess Easley at least made it on the field and started.

Except it does hurt. There are limited reps and limited coaching time to go around. I'd rather it's spent on worthwhile players, guys who are practicing hard, trying their best, and at least fighting for a future in the league.
If he was taking reps in practice, that would mean he earned them. We need at least 3 more qb’s this offseason if we let Cam walk.

I don't know why the Redskins didn't take Tua in this years draft, Haskins gave huge signs of being a bust already last year. When you don't have a QB you keep taking shots.

Not that Tua has been impressive..
They took him because his name has “skins” in it

15th pick in the draft. Right where NE picks next year. Let's all play the game and see if BB's pick has a better career than Haskins did...

He is just not good. Like the long list of Ohio state QBs. I think Fields will not be a good NFL QB either. But what do I know.

He was a CAPTAIN on that team??!! Am I missing something?
Most teams name a QB a captain even if he's young. Mostly in the hope he grows into the role and uses the responsibility to push himself forward. When your starting QB isn't a captain generally something is very wrong or your coach is Bill Belichick :p

No, he’s an idiot that sucks at the position.

There a conundrum between guys with potential star skillsets whose heads don’t seem to be in it and marginal skill try hard guys.
Most all of them mature, it’s just a matter of when. The try hard has a much lower ceiling. You need to pursue both types.

how many STD’s do the haskinettes in that tweet have?
If they are sex workers, probably 0. It's part of their job to stay clean.

You're more likely to catch a social disease from the local bar floozy at 1:30am after a Saturday night.

nah jk, seems like Easley. Tremendous ceiling with no want to get there (which is fine normally, but why go into a career for which you have no motivation, especially one that exposes you to media). I guess Easley at least made it on the field and started.
I'm not sure about the comparison to Easley, as Easley's biggest problem was staying healthy.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back