PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Football team releases Dwayne Haskins

There a conundrum between guys with potential star skillsets whose heads don’t seem to be in it and marginal skill try hard guys.
Most all of them mature, it’s just a matter of when. The try hard has a much lower ceiling. You need to pursue both types.
TB12 fits the bolded description in both native athletic abilities and work ethic, and as such disproves the underlined prejudice. Just pointing that out not because I’m against the GOAT QB but rather because it bugs me every time some numbskull keyboard warrior dismisses the future of any prospect with a damning conclusion about “low ceiling”. Let their performance stand on its own. See what they do with the opportunities they‘re given. Don’t assume that a guy who is marginal, on the bubble fighting for a roster spot will never blossom (remember Nink?). And don’t get carried away with pure talent zero character guys. History is littered with high ceiling busts, so assuming tanking for talent will assure a successful future is just dumb. </soapbox>

TB12 fits the bolded description in both native athletic abilities and work ethic, and as such disproves the underlined prejudice. Just pointing that out not because I’m against the GOAT QB but rather because it bugs me every time some numbskull keyboard warrior dismisses the future of any prospect with a damning conclusion about “low ceiling”. Let their performance stand on its own. See what they do with the opportunities they‘re given. Don’t assume that a guy who is marginal, on the bubble fighting for a roster spot will never blossom (remember Nink?). And don’t get carried away with pure talent zero character guys. History is littered with high ceiling busts, so assuming tanking for talent will assure a successful future is just dumb. </soapbox>
Brady is probably the most talented qb in nfl history in the areas that matter the most. It’s not my fault you sell him short

Per an article I saw, he'd be owed $1.8m in 2021 and $2.5m in 2022 if claimed, and I assume those are guarantees. IMO $4.3m might be worth it? Gives them the chance to have him over the full offseason and evaluate him. He'd probably cost a few million as a free agent anyway; now you get to retain his rights for 2 years. It probably won't happen but it's not as expensive as I expected. Bill can probably call Urban Meyer up for his opinion on the kid.

I'm not sure about the comparison to Easley, as Easley's biggest problem was staying healthy.
Easley also had some off field issues. He butted heads with the team on injury rehab, had that issue where he let his dog bite his neighbor or something stupid, and I think one anonymous teammate called him a cancer in the locker room.

I'm not sure about the comparison to Easley, as Easley's biggest problem was staying healthy.

I thought a big knock on Easley, along with the injury, was his overall lack of care. He was released two years into his 1st rounder contract, and we know the Pats hold on for dear life to their draft picks, even if they're injury prone. I even remember some language along the lines of him being undisciplined in ethic.

Haskins made it through waivers unclaimed. So if you want to scrape the bottom of the barrel, offer him a 1 year prove it deal with minimum salary. He can't be any worse than our current cast of misfits. New England returning back to the days of Secules and Hodsen. Haskins vs Stidham brings us back to the Unglorious days! At least there would be some suspense to training camp next year. :p

No. Just no.

Luckily this guy has all the makings of the type of guy who BB hates... Selfish, puts himself before team, doesnt work hard etc... why on earth would people want him?

He can't be any worse than our current cast of misfits.
I'm thinking there is a chance he is worse and do we not complain if he's marginally better.

Easley also had some off field issues. He butted heads with the team on injury rehab, had that issue where he let his dog bite his neighbor or something stupid, and I think one anonymous teammate called him a cancer in the locker room.

I thought a big knock on Easley, along with the injury, was his overall lack of care. He was released two years into his 1st rounder contract, and we know the Pats hold on for dear life to their draft picks, even if they're injury prone. I even remember some language along the lines of him being undisciplined in ethic.
Yep, already damaged goods out of college, with questionable character and a lazy work ethic to add insult to injury, literally...Did I also not read that Mike Lombardi had a hand in this pick, while both Joel Bitonio & Stephon Tuitt were still available? Worst 1st-rounder since Stomper Meriweather...but not the last...Yet another example of why we are where we are...

Don't draft QBs from big college programs who have never had to work for anything. You go into a big school with top talent, you get to play cupcakes. They have never had to fight for anything.

Then there's guys like Brady and Montana who kept being doubted, even at big programs. They constantly had to work hard to get over the bias of coaching staffs who didn't see them as top talents.

You need guys who have spent their whole career competing against doubters, good schedules.

If the Foreskins allow Ron Rivera to totally run football operations and freeze out their sleezeball owner, they could be dangerous down the road

If the Foreskins allow Ron Rivera to totally run football operations and freeze out their sleezeball owner, they could be dangerous down the road
Not if they continue to not receive maximum value - or any value - for their assets, no matter how badly they want to rid themselves of them.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back