PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio re Rodgers injury...protect QBs even more than they already are

It seems everyone calls the Palmer rule the Brady rule.

So many people get so many things wrong. They don't take the time to get educated, just want their opinion to be right. Mostly, they just repeat drivel they hear and thing they are knowledgeable.

The Brady rule is a modification of the Palmer Rule.

The rules already govern against the hit that took down Rogers.
It was a blatant late hit.
The defender chose to ignore the rule. Same with the ref.

They didn't call anything on Alonso taking Jimmy G to the ground. And Alonso actually put his full weight down on Jimmy unlike Barr where he kinda went over and passed Rodgers. Are you sure?

No need to tell us, but there's 31 other fan forums you could tell :p

and heck probably plenty of players and media-types too

It was a late hit, there are already rules for that. It didn't stop the defender to just go there and shove the QB in the ground. Another rule imposing you can't touch the QB will not avoid that either, some knuckle head like Burfict can just ignore the rule and get the 15 yard penalty in order to give his team a better chance to win the game or the division if he does that in a divisional game to Flacco or Roethlisberger for example, that's what happened yesterday.

I've always preferred "Don't just do something! Stand there!"

Maybe I'm just Newtonian in my approach to life - a person at rest tends to stay at rest...yada, yada, yada.

I'm the same. I'm just having fun with the overreaction to the "Great Aaron Rodgers" Injury.

McCarthy called the hit unnecessary... not sure I agree with that since it was a legal hit.

Ok, I'll bite. . .

What is "the modification"; other than changing 'P' to 'Br' and lmer to dy? ;)

I never thought was anything but fan-generational difference.

So that's probably true but the point is ignorant fan bases and even anylists want to believe that before Brady's injury there wasn't a rule about diving low to hit a quarterbacks legs. They like to whine about him getting special treatment. In fact it was Palmer's injury that first got the rule made. Pollard didn't go low to hit Brady's knee, he lunged up from the ground to hit it. That is what was added if I remember correctly.

Ok, I'll bite. . .

What is "the modification"; other than changing 'P' to 'Br' and lmer to dy? ;)

I never thought was anything but fan-generational difference.

If you're wondering, here's the rule instituted by the NFL in 2006, after Palmer's injury: "A rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting in the knee area or below a passer who has one or both feet on the ground, even if the initial contact is above the knee. It is not a foul if the defender is blocked (or fouled) into the passer and has no opportunity to avoid him..."

Brady injury recalls hit to Carson Palmer in 2005

In part because of the season-ending left knee injury that Brady suffered in the Patriots' 2008 season opener against the Chiefs, the league's Competition Committee adopted a clarification of the current rule on hits to a quarterback in the knee area or below. The clarification specifically prohibits a defender on the ground who hasn't been blocked or fouled directly into the quarterback from lunging or diving at the quarterback's lower legs.

Brady rule: Steps taken to protect QBs' knees - The Boston Globe

Brady rule is in bold

Some kind of Designated Sackee? If you tackle them it counts a QB sack instead.
Eventually football will be played by lifelike robots that are all controlled by football players through some bizarre VR nonsense. Then no QBs will ever be hurt and everyone can run around like a dumbass taking huge hits and lobbing hospital balls witout a care in the world.

While this post started out as a joke, honestly for all that it would make football kinda lame the idea of being able to watch football without the looming spectre of injuries and CTE and the whole season being one long war of attrition would be pretty neat.

They shouldn't. That was a legal hit by Barr. Just because ARod couldn't take it like a man and had to utter profanity at Barr's way doesn't mean he is right. Its unfortunate he got injured but tackling is and always will be a part of football.

Just saw a joke posted on my Facebook page:

"So Aaron Rodgers walks into a Barr........ Too soon?"

Sigh. Football does not even excite me as much anymore seeing as how all these rules effect the game. Millions of penalties, millions of injuries. And there also seems to be Horrible incompetence all over these organzations. Just look at the Bears game yesterday. These games feel so utterly scripted. Games feel like a tale of two halves and Im sick of it. I noticed this about the time Red Zone came to be.

Then the QB will just chuck it into the stands prior to every hit for a positive gain.

How does a double pass work? Does the receiver of the lateral become non-hittable?

Then the QB will just chuck it into the stands prior to every hit for a positive gain.

How does a double pass work? Does the receiver of the lateral become non-hittable?

That's a paradox.

Another one. If a receiver wearing #11 who may or may not have played QB in college receives the snap? Is he now protected as the QB? What if he has squirrel like tendencies? What if he's a little insane and likes to get hit?

If he didn't put his arm out so far away from his body like Romo always did and just took the tackle he would have been fine.

QBs don't need more protection, some of them need to learn how to fall safely though.

Exactly, Brady spent a while off season learning how to fall and avoid injury. If Rogers isn't taking the time to do that, it's his own fault

As mentioned, they need to train like stuntmen, pro wrestlers, or judokas.

It's events like this that make you truly appreciate how insanely good Brady is at taking a hit. I hate seeing him get hit but it's almost just as entertaining to see how professionally he takes it.

Doesn't go down before it's necessary, but at the last second will go with the tackle and always makes sure to slightly curl his back to allow a roll off of the energy from the tackle, it's a thing of beauty. Curls up just at the right time to protect shoulders and arms. The more opportunity you give yourself to go with the momentum of the tackle, the less chance of an injury.

Contrast this with putting your arm out like Rodgers did, where you have an immediate change of direction of the energy, in an acute area, forcing all the pressure to a point rather than rolling it out. The most apparent example of this is when a WR gets hit changing directions after going over the middle, a QB from behind once he's already planted for a throw, or an RB stutter stepping and someone clipping him other than his juked defender.

Sorry for lack of terminology, but it's a thing to watch haha.

Edit: Brady takes hits like a parkour expert rolls out of very high drops.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back