PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Flacco is master of drawing interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I hope for is consistency by the refs, all of this should equalize if the refs are competent. Lots of conferring amongst themselves before decisions are made.

No f..ing mickey mouse, ticky tack calls.. let them play and only call the flagrant stuff.

15 yards and a first down....even if you don't score at least 3 the field is flipped and the calls are game changers.

15 and a first and lets move on.

It is a ridiculous penalty and sometimes at the most critical time of the game.

Pathetic rule....

One thing I remember from the Dolphins game in foxboro is that Miami came out throwing deep at our secondary. Maybe they were targetting butler but they had some success and had some easy drops as well .Probably the only team which did that to us from the get go. Wont be surprised if flacco comes out with that.

I completely agree. If interference occurs because a receiver is trying to come back to the ball by running through a defender, then I really don't think it should be considered DPI. Basically, it shouldn't be possible to induce DPI by design.

Terrific. I've never seen it put that way, but it felt true the second I read this. I'm all for legitimate underthrows, but uncatchable underthrows where the only purpose is to make the receiver stop so the DB will plow into him seems to be an exploitation of the DPI rule.

look......the pats play the run and put revis on smith sr ........ if either of those guys have a below average day, the ravens USUALLY lose.

If they both have a below average day, it will be annihilation and the stands will be partying at halftime

They should switch to the ncaa pass interference rule

Opening up a can of worms there. IMO, if the receiver is genuinely interfered with (such as being grabbed around the hips on a deep post by a DB that's clearly beat), the offense SHOULD be rewarded the ball at the spot where the receiver could have caught it. The NFL rules are fine, it's just up to the zebras to pull their heads out of their asses. Stop flagging ticky tack plays where the DB is hand fighting with the WR and stop flagging the DB's for getting trucked by a WR trying to come back for an intentionally underthrown ball. I understand these plays happen fast but it's their job to know what constitutes a legitimate PI and what doesn't. If they can't differentiate, they need to be replaced by someone that can.

I believe the rule book states that pass interference is only supposed to be called if there is no doubt in the refs mind. This is why all the late flags only thrown after a wr complains bug me. If it's clear the ref will throw the flag right away. If it's not clear, then by definition there should be no flag.

My only concern about the college approach to PI is that DB's would maul receivers for it when they knew they were burned if the PI will be less than the actual catch (or a touchdown)

Maybe this is still a good trade off, though. I guess it probably would be.

I heard Mike Periera talking about exactly that in an interview when he was retiring as head of NFL officials. He pointed out that in college the defenders don't really tackle WRs when they get beat. They usually can't.

He also mentioned that giving a player a 50 yard penalty on a ticky tack foul is outrageous when compared to the 15 yarder a player gets for stomping on a players leg or spitting in his face.

He also clearly blamed the changes on Bill Polian and the competition committee of that time.

All I hope for is consistency by the refs, all of this should equalize if the refs are competent. Lots of conferring amongst themselves before decisions are made.

No f..ing mickey mouse, ticky tack calls.. let them play and only call the flagrant stuff.

Exactly. Just like it used to be.

Watch out for this one;

I'm starting to feel like people are feeling... threatened... by Joe. Been reading your boards since Sunday and obviously a fair amount of you have recognized his greatness (I don't find it necessary to repeat his playoff stats) but there's still a contingency crying over his "luck" and his tendency to get PI calls.

Some of you boys are sounding like Squeeler fans. Nobody wants to sound like a Squeeler fan.

Joe Cool is a winner, straight up. And he could very easily lead the Ravens onto yet another postseason victory Saturday.

I'm starting to feel like people are feeling... threatened... by Joe. Been reading your boards since Sunday and obviously a fair amount of you have recognized his greatness (I don't find it necessary to repeat his playoff stats) but there's still a contingency crying over his "luck" and his tendency to get PI calls.

Some of you boys are sounding like Squeeler fans. Nobody wants to sound like a Squeeler fan.

Joe Cool is a winner, straight up. And he could very easily lead the Ravens onto yet another postseason victory Saturday.

He's on a good run, that's for sure. But your strength as an offense plays right into New England's hands on defense. Not worried about Flacco. My concern for this game is on the other side of the ball and which OL shows up against your front seven. If they give Brady time, this game won't be close. If they don't, it will be another nail biter.

He's played well against NE the past two playoff games, so of course there is going to be some level of concern. Hell, I'd feel a little concern if TN was coming in here because any team can lose if they play poorly enough. If you were honest, you would admit that you have concern over playing a better team in NE as well. Such is the emotional playoff rollercoaster.

Threatened? No. I'm worried about your front seven--that's strength on weakness, and could easily blow up the Pats' offensive gameplan--but all the "Joe Cool is a winner" sentiments in the world won't make me afraid of him. We have an actual secondary now.

I'm also kinda afraid that the refs will reward the ridiculous jump balls that he throws, but again, that's not really him that worries me.

The Ravens signed Joe Montana???

the pats led the league in giving up first downs by penalty. I believe they are prepared to be penalized as it is part of their game.

the good news is that the ravens defense is penalized more than the pats and for substantially more yards

over over previous years, flacco took yardage the same ways that guys like matt flynn, dan orlovsky and chad henne have managed to take yards......the pats defense sucked. doesn't suck now.....bad guys like suggs have no effect on that.

flacco doesn't get sacked that much.......keep him in the pocket and have the patience to make him force the ball somewhere......

This is why I've always called him Fluke-O.
Why? You didn't explain. The numbers don't lie. You can look at the yards he's gained via DPI, but also look at his TD/INT ratio in the playoffs. That isn't from being "Jump Ball Joe".

I admit there's concern over playing a better team, but I feel like it's a good matchup, and no matter how much you wanna analyze everything, anything can happen, as you're all very well aware (and as noted by the comment of being nervous about TN coming in).

And heck, we needed help to get in. And we beat our hated rival in their stadium, so already a good year in my book. If the Pats don't come out of this fairly weak AFC this year, that's a disappointment. It'll have been over a decade now since Brady's last SB win, and while the 3 SB's/first 5 or so years of his career are impeccable, he'll always have that choker reputation in the playoff games since. What do the Ravens have to lose?

If the Ravens can pull this off, they'll get that confidence similar to when they knocked off Peyton at Mile High a few years ago, and could make a run. Maybe then, Harbaugh/Flacco could become the new Belichick/Brady?

Last edited:
Why? You didn't explain. The numbers don't lie. You can look at the yards he's gained via DPI, but also look at his TD/INT ratio in the playoffs. That isn't from being "Jump Ball Joe".

I admit there's concern over playing a better team, but I feel like it's a good matchup, and no matter how much you wanna analyze everything, anything can happen, as you're all very well aware (and as noted by the comment of being nervous about TN coming in).

And heck, we needed help to get in. And we beat our hated rival in their stadium, so already a good year in my book. If the Pats don't come out of this fairly weak AFC this year, that's a disappointment. It'll have been over a decade now since Brady's last SB win, and while the 3 SB's/first 5 or so years of his career are impeccable, he'll always have that choker reputation in the playoff games since. What do the Ravens have to lose?

If the Ravens can pull this off, they'll get that confidence similar to when they knocked off Peyton at Mile High a few years ago, and could make a run. Maybe then, Harbaugh/Flacco could become the new Belichick/Brady?

the Ravens have a chance only if the Pats aren't on their game........if both play their best, the pats destroy the ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes