PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First 4-years of earnings for Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is he not honouring his RFA???

He's allowed to look for an offer sheet from another team up to April 21. He is doing everything he is entitled to do. There is nothing wrong with anything Butler has done. He has not wronged the team. He has not held out. He is executing all of his rights, as he should.

You really expect a reasonable argument? Read my previous post, which was disagreed with 5 times, yet not one those posters made a counter-argument as to why.

Butler is restricted FREE agent. The Pats made it clear he's not their first option at CB, which he expected to be, and with that in mind, he's using his rights as a RFA, to look for a better option, i.e a team that would make him a #1 CB.

He's neither boycotting the team, nor doing anything out of the ordinary.

People were asking for Brady to benched for Jimmy at halftime so i guess i shouldn't be surprised that now Butler is a baby and Hightower is a primadonna. Zero respect for the players.

If being paid at the top of their respective positions is being screwed than I'd like to know when BB paid people out of love
Wilfork was on a rookie deal for 6 years and Mankins 5 years + another for RFA.

So.............why is Dimples the best backup QB ever?

hqdefault.jpg

1. We have not heard anything directly from Butler, so it is unfair to characterize him as sullen, angry, greedy, anxious, or business-like.
  2. He is exploring is options under the terms of the contract, just as the Patriots team is doing. That is to be expected.
  3. Regarding the payment gap between Butler and Gilmore: BB may feel that we are at peak Butler, that he is as good as he is going to get with his tools and system. There is a reason he was undrafted. BB may feel that Gilmore in the same system has significantly higher upside...or at least a better cost/benefit profile over the next X years.
I expect Butler to play for NE this year under the existing contract and then be allowed to decide whether he wants to pursue a big check elsewhere or a moderate check here with longer seasons and a fawning fanbase. Neither choice would be wrong. Money can't buy you love.

Wilfork was on a rookie deal for 6 years and Mankins 5 years + another for RFA.
Correct but after their standoffs with management they were made the highest paid players at their position.

They signed the contracts. It is what it is.

I do not know if this has been mentioned in another thread if so feel free to merge this thread.

For what it is worth if Butler signs his tender and plays it out this season he will have earned $5.4M in his first 4-years. That means he would have made more money than the following players.

Derek Carr
Allen Robinson
Jarvis Landry
Devonte Freeman

And the best backup QB in the history of the NFL - Dimples Garoppolo.

I am not saying Butler has not played at a higher level than the money has and will earn, I am only saying, Malcolm Butler does not have it any worse than a player drafted in the top 10 of the 2nd round. My point is this whole bleeding heart for the UDFA working on minimum wage is a misconception.

Your point is silly.

How much money Butler made is irrelevant to the fact that he help us win 2 Super Bowls, being the #1 CB for our team in the last two seasons and yet another guy at his position gets a $65 million with $40 million guaranteed.

If the Raiders gave a $65 million contract to another QB after Carr helped them win a SB, and became an All-Pro/Pro Bowler that comparison might work. None of this would have happened had we not given Gilmore such a contract.

The team felt that Gilmore deserved those more than Malcolm, since even if he didn't leave, we certainly would not have paid two CB's $13+ million a year. Fair enough, that's Bill's judgement and he's more often than not, right.

Butler felt underappreciated, which he is, and conversely underpaid so he choose to find a team that would appreciate him more.

1. You said how much MB earned is irrelevant, and then you compare his money to Gilmore. Illogical.

2. Gilmore's money has nothing to do with Butler's. Pats have enough to pay them both if they want to. But they aren't obligated to pay Butler more than 3.9 mil this year.

3. You have no idea, nor do any of us, how MB 'feels'. Again...

tumblr_mpmgbiI9Xz1r3fr0eo2_400.gif

...illogical.

By the way... the reason you got 6 disagrees... and counting....

was that 6 people disagreed with you.

Logic. :)

Last edited:
What about his endorsement deal with Sprint? We are he is chasing Antonio Brown around the world. I'm sure he would have been a huge celebrity if it hadn't been for the team that developed him and gave him a big stage opportunities.

I do not know if this has been mentioned in another thread if so feel free to merge this thread.

For what it is worth if Butler signs his tender and plays it out this season he will have earned $5.4M in his first 4-years. That means he would have made more money than the following players.

Derek Carr
Allen Robinson
Jarvis Landry
Devonte Freeman

And the best backup QB in the history of the NFL - Dimples Garoppolo.

I am not saying Butler has not played at a higher level than the money has and will earn, I am only saying, Malcolm Butler does not have it any worse than a player drafted in the top 10 of the 2nd round. My point is this whole bleeding heart for the UDFA working on minimum wage is a misconception.

And that doesn't take Popeyes into account.

Right, next year. It is VERY unrealistic, and being a big baby, what he is doing now.
How is he being a big baby when all he is doing is negotiating with other teams, which he is well within his rights to do? You still haven't answered that question.

He is treating his business like a business, no more no less. Just like the Patriots do. He has been a consummate professional from the day he got here to the present day.

What about his endorsement deal with Sprint? We are he is chasing Antonio Brown around the world. I'm sure he would have been a huge celebrity if it hadn't been for the team that developed him and gave him a big stage opportunities.
Anything the Patriots did for him in the past is irrelevant to future negotiations.

That's how the Patriots approach each and every single negotiation they enter into, but now you're criticizing a player for taking the exact same approach. Should the Patriots give him a big bonus for saving the Super Bowl? He was sure worth more than he was paid that year.

He doesn't owe New England a damn thing for developing him and giving him an opportunity (beyond fulfilling his contractual obligations which he has done as well as humanly possible). All that matters in his next deal is how he will perform in 2017, 2018, 2019, etc....

He can negotiate with teams all he wants but he better be prepared to NOT get the 13-15million he wants because of the RFA tag with the 1st rounder. And if he signs a deal for 8-10million a year im sure the pats would happily match.

Thats the key here. BUTLER wants to be treated like a UFA when he is a RFA. And if he isnt willing to give the pats or any other team a discount he WILL have to play on the tender and WILL get big $$ next year.

But there is no incentive for the pats to pay him more than 4million unless he offers something in return. And theres no incentive for the pats to trade him when they can get a first rounder if he signs an offer sheet or just keep him for cheap.

Either way we have a part time agent who doesnt understand how the NFL works

Bullcrap. He is treating his job like a business - just like the Patriots do. He hasn't said word one of complaint, threatened to hold out, or do anything like that. He has been a consummate professional since the day he got here, including this offseason.
Actually it was a word that he will hold out in preseason last year. The word was that he wanted contract but got nothing from Pats IIRC. Couple days ago the word is that he got silly offer like 6-7mil last year. Something isnt right here. Question is, does Butler knows what his agent is doing?

He can negotiate with teams all he wants but he better be prepared to NOT get the 13-15million he wants because of the RFA tag with the 1st rounder. And if he signs a deal for 8-10million a year im sure the pats would happily match.

Thats the key here. BUTLER wants to be treated like a UFA when he is a RFA. And if he isnt willing to give the pats or any other team a discount he WILL have to play on the tender and WILL get big $$ next year.

But there is no incentive for the pats to pay him more than 4million unless he offers something in return. And theres no incentive for the pats to trade him when they can get a first rounder if he signs an offer sheet or just keep him for cheap.

Either way we have a part time agent who doesnt understand how the NFL works
The agent has done absolutely nothing wrong by his client. He is just pissing off Patriots fans who love treating these things like a business when the Patriots cut a player, but hate when a player treats it like a business in the final year or so of their obligation to the team.

His client is an RFA and is being shopped around. WTF is this agent supposed to be doing that he isn't? Walk into Belichick's office and bend over?

How much money Butler made is irrelevant to the fact that he help us win 2 Super Bowls, being the #1 CB for our team in the last two seasons and yet another guy at his position gets a $65 million with $40 million guaranteed.

If the Raiders gave a $65 million contract to another QB after Carr helped them win a SB, and became an All-Pro/Pro Bowler that comparison might work. None of this would have happened had we not given Gilmore such a contract.

The team felt that Gilmore deserved those more than Malcolm, since even if he didn't leave, we certainly would not have paid two CB's $13+ million a year. Fair enough, that's Bill's judgement and he's more often than not, right.

Butler felt underappreciated, which he is, and conversely underpaid so he choose to find a team that would appreciate him more.

You mean like the Broncos telling Manning they weren't interested in his services after he won a Superbowl as QB...........

Point is that if BB feels Gilmore is a better player or fit etc than Butler, for the same $ then it makes perfect sense for BB to go for Gilmore. This is professional sports. Butler will find a home.

When I heard Jeff Howe's report from yesterday, my sympathies were largely with Butler. But Phil Perry's article (which basically has the premise of this thread) kinda puts things in perspective:

Butler's four-year payout with tender would exceed that of other Class of '14 stars

If he plays on the tender, Butler's four-year earnings of $5.44 million will exceed those of Raiders quarterback Derek Carr, who was taken at the top of the second round in 2014 at No. 36 overall. Not bad for someone who never heard his name called on draft weekend three years ago.
Of course Butler's road to get to more than $5 million in earnings was not nearly as smooth as it was for someone like Carr. The corner's salaries in the first three years of his career were $420,000, $510,000 and $600,000. None of it was guaranteed. Carr was gifted a signing bonus of $2.23 million and was guaranteed $3.31 million, according to Spotrac.

Butler has certainly out-played his contract to this point -- the argument could be made that he's a better player than any of the Class of '14 players listed above. And if he was irked by the Patriots signing Stephon Gilmore to a contract that will pay $13 million annually, that's understandable. He's human.

But there are plenty of players who have outplayed their deals through three years who have had to wait one more for their big-money deals. It may not be fair, but in the NFL fairness is relative when it comes to player contracts.

Ok thanks for your feedback. I disagree but you're certainly entitled to your own opinion.

You are trying to equate things that are not equal. The contract for Butler was a 3 year deal at less money. The contracts for the second rounders you put forth as a counter are 4 year deals. So...

When Butler's deal ended, and he was finally able to hit the market, he was slapped with the RFA tag. So, the first year post-contract, for Butler, was a finance restricted year. The first year post-contract for those second rounders will be unrestricted free agency.

As I said, your point is silly. You're not alone in buying into the nonsense, though, so you've got that going for you.

Hey, quick question: For the duration of the new free agency rules to date, how many UDFAs have gotten the round 1 tender RFA deal?

Last edited:
Butler is being paid fairly, there is no reason for the Pats to extend him until the season has sarted and it start the following season.

Butler is acting fairly in trying to find a team who offers him the money he believes he is worth. He has said he won't hold out but there is no reason to sign the tender until he has explored all options. A first round tender is huge now, you aint getting paid as a URFA when a team has to give up their first round pick which would be a far more favourable contrct. It's two blows in one go for a team.

Butler and the Pats are treating it like business we as fans should get that. We don't because we have our emotions involved. Butler should maybe think about hiring a sports agent rather than a local lawyer to help him and get the best advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back