PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fill 5 Needs With First 5 Draft Picks - No Trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score

• Round 1, Pick 31 (31st overall) - OT
  • Round 2, Pick 11 (43rd overall) - CB
  • Round 2, Pick 31 (63rd overall) - QB
  • Round 3, Pick 31 (95th overall) - LB
  • Round 4, Pick 36 (136th overall) - DE

You can’t take positions you have to take players.
I did not want to step on the draft forum toes.

More a how much do you value positional selection and need to build the roster.

Belichick kind of does it ... we see it with the weird picks sometimes.

I don't think the value for a QB is that well at the bottom of the 2nd round - at that point you're probably taking a tier of guys that you could try getting later on in the draft. Here's how I would go:

31st - LB
43rd - CB
63rd - RB
95th - OT
136th - QB

However, I think that we could just as easily pick up a top WR, TE, or S if the value at that pick is good. I honestly don't think that we pick up an OT early despite it being a big need. Value at the other positions seems to be better with those first few picks.

What are the odds Belichick doesn't trade one of the 2nd rounders?

I don't think the value for a QB is that well at the bottom of the 2nd round - at that point you're probably taking a tier of guys that you could try getting later on in the draft. Here's how I would go:

31st - LB
43rd - LB
63rd - DB
95th - QB
136th - LB

However, I think that we could just as easily pick up a top WR, TE, or S if the value at that pick is good. I honestly don't think that we pick up an OT early despite it being a big need. Value at the other positions seems to be better with those first few picks.

My thoughts

The QB's all stink-
31: R1P31-EDGE MARCUS DAVENPORT
TEXAS-SAN ANTONIO
43: R2P11-LB LORENZO CARTER
GEORGIA
63: R2P31-TE HAYDEN HURST
SOUTH CAROLINA
95: R3P31-CB TARVARUS MCFADDEN
FLORIDA ST.
136: R4P36-OT WILL RICHARDSON
NORTH CAROLINA ST.

The QB's all stink-
31: R1P31-EDGE MARCUS DAVENPORT
TEXAS-SAN ANTONIO
43: R2P11-LB LORENZO CARTER
GEORGIA
63: R2P31-TE HAYDEN HURST
SOUTH CAROLINA
95: R3P31-CB TARVARUS MCFADDEN
FLORIDA ST.
136: R4P36-OT WILL RICHARDSON
NORTH CAROLINA ST.
I'd be ok with this

• Round 1, Pick 31 (31st overall) - He could've gotten THAT guy in the sixth round!
  • Round 2, Pick 11 (43rd overall) - Who the hell is THAT?
  • Round 2, Pick 31 (63rd overall) - A special-teamer? WHY?
  • Round 3, Pick 31 (95th overall) - Rutgers? AGAIN?
  • Round 4, Pick 36 (136th overall) - I give up.

I don’t think we are drafting a lb early. I know this will not be popular but we are a 2 lb defense and Hightower and VanNoy seem to be entrenched as the 2. Sure we need a guy to play a few snaps a game when we aren’t in nickel but that won’t be a high pick.
I could see OT because Garcia has to be considered a bonus at this point since his health issues could return. We gave cannon signed for 4 more years, drafting an OT who can hopefully play now would solidify the spot.
At corner, while we could surely go into the season with Gilmore Rowe McCourty and jones drafting a corner to develop in 18 and start in 19 makes sense.

I assume we need to go qb at some point.

A later round RB with a specialized skill set makes sense.

At the de spot the question really is how do we feel about last years picks.
A rotation of flowers Clayborn wise and rivers sounds very solid if wise and rivers reach their potential (personally I think wise us going to have a break out season and develop a game similar to Willie mcginest).
If the prospects for wise and rivers are shaky then this needs a high pick.

Safety could also be a spot with an eye to the future but do you really use a high pick to sit behind McCourty Chung and Harmon?

I also don’t see WR because it seems silly to waste a pick trying to upgrade Edelman cooks hogan and the guys competing for scraps behind them but this is another spot drafting for 2019 could come in.

I think there is room to draft a TE. Best of both worlds, complement Gronk it replace him if he flakes out.

• Round 1, Pick 31 (31st overall) -DE
  • Round 2, Pick 11 (43rd overall) - LB
  • Round 2, Pick 31 (63rd overall) - CB
  • Round 3, Pick 31 (95th overall) - S
  • Round 4, Pick 36 (136th overall) - OT
Almost all defense. Hoping for DE/LB hybrid. Not sold on Wise/Rivers....and a pass rush would be nice. Assuming at least two more years of Tom, so no QB unless we get lucky again like we did w/Garrapolo. On safety, let's hope Richards is done, and I'm not a huge fan of Harmon, but maybe I'm missing his contributions?

• Round 1, Pick 31 (31st overall) - He could've gotten THAT guy in the sixth round!
So many drafts like this
I havent been excited about a draft since the Jones Hightower haul

• Round 1, Pick 31 (31st overall) -DE
  • Round 2, Pick 11 (43rd overall) - LB
  • Round 2, Pick 31 (63rd overall) - CB
  • Round 3, Pick 31 (95th overall) - S
  • Round 4, Pick 36 (136th overall) - OT
Almost all defense. Hoping for DE/LB hybrid. Not sold on Wise/Rivers....and a pass rush would be nice. Assuming at least two more years of Tom, so no QB unless we get lucky again like we did w/Garrapolo. On safety, let's hope Richards is done, and I'm not a huge fan of Harmon, but maybe I'm missing his contributions?

Yes. He's one of the best single-high safety in the NFL. I'd have to dig to find the stats again, but when he's in deep coverage, teams haven't thrown at him much in the past three years. He's allowed one catch in deep coverage while racking up 14 passes defended and 8 interceptions over that time span.

Chung and McCourty do more on defense, which is why they play more, but if we're looking for a pure cover guy / ball hawk on the back end, he's absolutely incredible.

I would tend to go for player over position. If someone falls, grab him regardless of need. And please no 7th round guys in the second round.

As to QB, who knows what to do. I often hear that this year's second tier of quarterbacks may hold some surprises, and a few say the opposite.

BTW, I may be dense, but where have they hidden the draft board forum here??

Tune- I agree with your post, but you forgot the punch line:
Pat's go on to win the SB anyway.

I would tend to go for player over position. If someone falls, grab him regardless of need. And please no 7th round guys in the second round.

As to QB, who knows what to do. I often hear that this year's second tier of quarterbacks may hold some surprises, and a few say the opposite.

BTW, I may be dense, but where have they hidden the draft board forum here??

Go here and scroll down for sub forums.

PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum

I don’t think we are drafting a lb early. I know this will not be popular but we are a 2 lb defense and Hightower and VanNoy seem to be entrenched as the 2. Sure we need a guy to play a few snaps a game when we aren’t in nickel but that won’t be a high pick.
I could see OT because Garcia has to be considered a bonus at this point since his health issues could return. We gave cannon signed for 4 more years, drafting an OT who can hopefully play now would solidify the spot.
At corner, while we could surely go into the season with Gilmore Rowe McCourty and jones drafting a corner to develop in 18 and start in 19 makes sense.

I assume we need to go qb at some point.

A later round RB with a specialized skill set makes sense.

At the de spot the question really is how do we feel about last years picks.
A rotation of flowers Clayborn wise and rivers sounds very solid if wise and rivers reach their potential (personally I think wise us going to have a break out season and develop a game similar to Willie mcginest).
If the prospects for wise and rivers are shaky then this needs a high pick.

Safety could also be a spot with an eye to the future but do you really use a high pick to sit behind McCourty Chung and Harmon?

I also don’t see WR because it seems silly to waste a pick trying to upgrade Edelman cooks hogan and the guys competing for scraps behind them but this is another spot drafting for 2019 could come in.

I think there is room to draft a TE. Best of both worlds, complement Gronk it replace him if he flakes out.

Interesting points Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back