PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fill 5 Needs With First 5 Draft Picks - No Trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely bugs me and i really do not understand it.
I look at it as we are competing with 31 other teams and there is a salary cap.
But some seem to think we have some exclusive paths to beating the other teams in the off season.
The volume of work since 1999 speaks for itself.

Yep

When was the last time the Pats had a starting linebacker that could cover? Jamie Collins was the closest but even that’s debatable. B.B. values size over coverage ability. That may change but past history makes me doubt it.

but it's killing us over and over again because they wind up going nickle full time

When was the last time the Pats had a starting linebacker that could cover? Jamie Collins was the closest but even that’s debatable. B.B. values size over coverage ability. That may change but past history makes me doubt it.

collins turned it on and off.....could cover good players, but seemed to ignore the nobodies

vander esch has size and coverage.....e.vans has size and coverage....which is why they're 1st rounders

you need athleticism ... the pats don't have that now.....

but it's killing us over and over again because they wind up going nickle full time

You kind of have to in today’s NFL. 2 corners matched up on WR, Free safety playing deep middle, nickel corner/safety on 3rd WR and strong safety on TE. I can’t remember the percentage, but the ‘11’ Formation is the most commonly used in the NFL today. That really demands a nickel formation.

collins turned it on and off.....could cover good players, but seemed to ignore the nobodies

vander esch has size and coverage.....e.vans has size and coverage....which is why they're 1st rounders

you need athleticism ... the pats don't have that now.....

I certainly want to see more athleticism on defense, we’re a bit too slow and lumbering up front but I still think OT is our biggest need currently by far. Not adverse to a Lorenzo Carter to add more speed and explosion to our defense. Evans is good though.

As far as positions go I would like to see OT, QB, Edge, TE, and RB

I look at defensive line, offensive line, and corner back depending n whose there at the time

185 million to 1 he makes a trade on draft day.

Although this post said "NO TRADES" I agree with TomPatriot. BB will play with this Draft.
It's not a great Draft on the top end if you are not 100% looking for your "Franchise QB". Mid pack seems to have some decent stock.

It does make it interesting that some top position players will be bumped down. QB's Interior O linemen and Edge rush seems plentiful. Are they top tier? Who knows.

TE, OT, RB other than Barkley, WR, LB seem to be lower in talent and less plentiful.

High Second Round seems to be a sweet spot. We have one pick at #43 which is good. I would love to have Cleveland's picks.

Below is just a wild -ass scenario of the type of day Draft Day could be with BB as the band leader.

Suggested this on another post:
Darnold is impressive but I think the Bills shower the Browns with picks to get him. Hue Jackson has entrenched Tyrod Taylor as the starter(Stop Gap) and Darnold will not be expected to play in 2018 anyway. That's a lot of trade capitol that could be on the field for the Browns in 2018. Darnold is either Wentz or Bortles in mediocrity.

Question?
The Browns need talent in many places and positions. The Bills could offer three first Rounders and a third that ironically the Browns do not own, for the #1 pick? So if you are the Browns would you consider #12, #22, #96 in the third and next years Bills #1, for most likely Darnold? Whats that got to do with us and BB swapping picks?

The Browns will search for blue chjp bodies with three first rounders and hope for a QB in Round #2. The 5 year rule is our advantage here. The Browns swap with us at #31 to get Lamar Jackson (who fits the offense similar to Taylor where as Darnold is a different QB type). We add pick #43 in the second in the trade, and they give us picks #33, #35 and #114 in the Fourth Round. The Value Chart numbers work.

Now the Chargers. After picking up some needed O line help in Round One, The Chargers need a heir replacement to QB Rivers. We swap them pick #33 at the top of the round for their second round pick #48 and third Round pick #84 (again the Value Chart works) They tab QB Mason Rudolph.

This is just for fun Cousins but I see BB on the road more than previous years. Trades will happen.

So we know have picks:
ROUND 2

ROUND 3

ROUND 4

ROUND 5

ROUND 7

Just spitballin. But no Trades and BB in this Draft is a little iffy to say the least.
DW Toys

Although this post said "NO TRADES" I agree with TomPatriot. BB will play with this Draft.
It's not a great Draft on the top end if you are not 100% looking for your "Franchise QB". Mid pack seems to have some decent stock.

It does make it interesting that some top position players will be bumped down. QB's Interior O linemen and Edge rush seems plentiful. Are they top tier? Who knows.

TE, OT, RB other than Barkley, WR, LB seem to be lower in talent and less plentiful.

High Second Round seems to be a sweet spot. We have one pick at #43 which is good. I would love to have Cleveland's picks.

Below is just a wild -ass scenario of the type of day Draft Day could be with BB as the band leader.

Suggested this on another post:
Darnold is impressive but I think the Bills shower the Browns with picks to get him. Hue Jackson has entrenched Tyrod Taylor as the starter(Stop Gap) and Darnold will not be expected to play in 2018 anyway. That's a lot of trade capitol that could be on the field for the Browns in 2018. Darnold is either Wentz or Bortles in mediocrity.

Question?
The Browns need talent in many places and positions. The Bills could offer three first Rounders and a third that ironically the Browns do not own, for the #1 pick? So if you are the Browns would you consider #12, #22, #96 in the third and next years Bills #1, for most likely Darnold? Whats that got to do with us and BB swapping picks?

The Browns will search for blue chjp bodies with three first rounders and hope for a QB in Round #2. The 5 year rule is our advantage here. The Browns swap with us at #31 to get Lamar Jackson (who fits the offense similar to Taylor where as Darnold is a different QB type). We add pick #43 in the second in the trade, and they give us picks #33, #35 and #114 in the Fourth Round. The Value Chart numbers work.

Now the Chargers. After picking up some needed O line help in Round One, The Chargers need a heir replacement to QB Rivers. We swap them pick #33 at the top of the round for their second round pick #48 and third Round pick #84 (again the Value Chart works) They tab QB Mason Rudolph.

This is just for fun Cousins but I see BB on the road more than previous years. Trades will happen.

So we know have picks:
ROUND 2

ROUND 3

ROUND 4

ROUND 5

ROUND 7

Just spitballin. But no Trades and BB in this Draft is a little iffy to say the least.
DW Toys

Thats a bigger pipe dream then me winning a billion dollar powerball.

Thats a bigger pipe dream then me winning a billion dollar powerball.
It's for fun Cousin and somebody actually does win the Powerball. Just hoping BB is building some capital in the 2nd and 3rd Round of this Draft in the sweet spot.
Very improbable he does not trade.
DW Toys

It's for fun Cousin and somebody actually does win the Powerball. Just hoping BB is building some capital in the 2nd and 3rd Round of this Draft in the sweet spot.
Very improbable he does not trade.
DW Toys
I will be shocked if he does not trade round1 pick.

• Round 1, Pick 31 (31st overall) - Mike McGlinchey - I have seen multiple mocks that have him going into the 20-32 range. He could very well go before that but this is my dream pick and it seems realistic
  • Round 2, Pick 11 (43rd overall) - Harrison Phillips
  • Round 2, Pick 31 (63rd overall) - Anthony Averitt
  • Round 3, Pick 31 (95th overall) - Darius Leonard.... hmmmm this could be a pipe dream. I expect him to get into the 3rd round, but number 31 might not happen
  • Round 4, Pick 36 (136th overall) - Troy Fumigalli

I did First-Pick with no trades. Was thinking OT or LB number 1 but Hurst was still there and I don't think we'd pass him up.

Round 1 Pick 31: Hurst, Maurice, DT, Michigan (A)
Round 2 Pick 11: Evans, Rashaan, OLB/ILB, Alabama (A)
Round 2 Pick 31: Oliver, Isaiah, CB, Colorado (A+)
Round 3 Pick 31: Brown, Orlando, OT, Oklahoma (A)
Round 4 Pick 36: Schultz, Dalton, TE, Stanford (A+)

Psst.. Richards was the 3rd time.. Don't tell Captain, though..
I think that maybe MM209 was referring to Safeties drafted in the 2nd round...Harmon for example went in the 3rd round.

• Round 1, Pick 31 (31st overall) - Mike McGlinchey - I have seen multiple mocks that have him going into the 20-32 range. He could very well go before that but this is my dream pick and it seems realistic
  • Round 2, Pick 11 (43rd overall) - Harrison Phillips
  • Round 2, Pick 31 (63rd overall) - Anthony Averitt
  • Round 3, Pick 31 (95th overall) - Darius Leonard.... hmmmm this could be a pipe dream. I expect him to get into the 3rd round, but number 31 might not happen
  • Round 4, Pick 36 (136th overall) - Troy Fumigalli

we don't need Harrison Phillips......I think he would struggle to be an upgrade over a healthy Vincent Valentine, and we already have Brown, Shelton, Guy, and Adam Butler to boot

I'd rather go after a guy like BJ Hill 3-4 rounds later

Im surprised more people aren't bringing up the possibility of BB trading a 2019 Draft pick(s).

A significant reason for that is that as active as Trader Bill has been over the years, this is the one type of trade he has refused to make.

Look over his drafts. He has never traded away a future-year pick to get a draft pick. He'll gladly do it to get a misfit toy who's been in the league, but it appears he simply won't do it to get a rookie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back