PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fill 5 Needs With First 5 Draft Picks - No Trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
we don't need Harrison Phillips......I think he would struggle to be an upgrade over a healthy Vincent Valentine, and we already have Brown, Shelton, Guy, and Adam Butler to boot

I'd rather go after a guy like BJ Hill 3-4 rounds later

I agree. If valentine is healthy, we don't need a DT.

Top 5 draft needs: LT, LB, TE, DE, CB.

LT - we need someone agile, strong, and skilled enough to protect Brady's blindside. I consider LaWaddle signing a stopgap measure until we draft a full time replacement.

LB - coverage linebacker is a big need in a league continually favoring the passing game. we never really found an athletic replacement for Collins to fill that role. We got gashed in the superbowl on short routes that took advantage of matchups against our slower linebackers.

TE - Gronks days are numbered. He is fantastic when healthy but can't always be counted on to be healthy. And his head seems to be not entirely in the game as the talks of retirement haven't been shut down yet either.

DE - Rush the passer is what we need more of. Signing Clayborn was a good start but you need to be 4 deep ideally so that you can rotate fresh bodies and continue to pressure the QB. Pats defense was finally exposed in the Superbowl as they were never able to make backup QB Foles uncomfortable. They were also bottom quarter of the league in QB pressures during the regular season last year.

CB - Really like the Gilmore/McCourty tandem. But we need to continue to develop young talent behind them. In a passing league you need more good corners. A top nickel/dime corner will help us defend typical 3 wide/4wide formations that teams will use when they are being aggressive in the passing game.

As to which young prospects to fill this need. Dedicated draftniks will be much more capable of spotting these talents, but I hope we address most of these needs or at least try to by the time the draft ends.

DE
Another pass rusher is always great. And yes, it is good to be 4 deep.
We have Flowers, Clayborne, Wise and Rivers (with Lee as the #5 with potential).
Some would even count Butler as DE.

I agree with the other 4 needs. I would add QB as my 5th.

Top 5 draft needs: LT, LB, TE, DE, CB.

LT - we need someone agile, strong, and skilled enough to protect Brady's blindside. I consider LaWaddle signing a stopgap measure until we draft a full time replacement.

LB - coverage linebacker is a big need in a league continually favoring the passing game. we never really found an athletic replacement for Collins to fill that role. We got gashed in the superbowl on short routes that took advantage of matchups against our slower linebackers.

TE - Gronks days are numbered. He is fantastic when healthy but can't always be counted on to be healthy. And his head seems to be not entirely in the game as the talks of retirement haven't been shut down yet either.

DE - Rush the passer is what we need more of. Signing Clayborn was a good start but you need to be 4 deep ideally so that you can rotate fresh bodies and continue to pressure the QB. Pats defense was finally exposed in the Superbowl as they were never able to make backup QB Foles uncomfortable. They were also bottom quarter of the league in QB pressures during the regular season last year.

CB - Really like the Gilmore/McCourty tandem. But we need to continue to develop young talent behind them. In a passing league you need more good corners. A top nickel/dime corner will help us defend typical 3 wide/4wide formations that teams will use when they are being aggressive in the passing game.

As to which young prospects to fill this need. Dedicated draftniks will be much more capable of spotting these talents, but I hope we address most of these needs or at least try to by the time the draft ends.

Although this post said "NO TRADES" I agree with TomPatriot. BB will play with this Draft.
It's not a great Draft on the top end if you are not 100% looking for your "Franchise QB". Mid pack seems to have some decent stock.

It does make it interesting that some top position players will be bumped down. QB's Interior O linemen and Edge rush seems plentiful. Are they top tier? Who knows.

TE, OT, RB other than Barkley, WR, LB seem to be lower in talent and less plentiful.

High Second Round seems to be a sweet spot. We have one pick at #43 which is good. I would love to have Cleveland's picks.

Below is just a wild -ass scenario of the type of day Draft Day could be with BB as the band leader.

Suggested this on another post:
Darnold is impressive but I think the Bills shower the Browns with picks to get him. Hue Jackson has entrenched Tyrod Taylor as the starter(Stop Gap) and Darnold will not be expected to play in 2018 anyway. That's a lot of trade capitol that could be on the field for the Browns in 2018. Darnold is either Wentz or Bortles in mediocrity.

Question?
The Browns need talent in many places and positions. The Bills could offer three first Rounders and a third that ironically the Browns do not own, for the #1 pick? So if you are the Browns would you consider #12, #22, #96 in the third and next years Bills #1, for most likely Darnold? Whats that got to do with us and BB swapping picks?

The Browns will search for blue chjp bodies with three first rounders and hope for a QB in Round #2. The 5 year rule is our advantage here. The Browns swap with us at #31 to get Lamar Jackson (who fits the offense similar to Taylor where as Darnold is a different QB type). We add pick #43 in the second in the trade, and they give us picks #33, #35 and #114 in the Fourth Round. The Value Chart numbers work.

Now the Chargers. After picking up some needed O line help in Round One, The Chargers need a heir replacement to QB Rivers. We swap them pick #33 at the top of the round for their second round pick #48 and third Round pick #84 (again the Value Chart works) They tab QB Mason Rudolph.

This is just for fun Cousins but I see BB on the road more than previous years. Trades will happen.

So we know have picks:
ROUND 2

ROUND 3

ROUND 4

ROUND 5

ROUND 7

Just spitballin. But no Trades and BB in this Draft is a little iffy to say the least.
DW Toys
If you’re suggesting a trade out of the first round to accumulate an extra pick in both the second and the third, thus giving us 5/95 picks, I wouldn’t mind at all. I could easily see that.

For me, aside from the obvious “who’s available” st the end of round one, my biggest question would be whether or not another team would part with both their #2 and #3 in the same year.

• Round 1, Pick 31 (31st overall) - OT
  • Round 2, Pick 11 (43rd overall) - CB
  • Round 2, Pick 31 (63rd overall) - QB
  • Round 3, Pick 31 (95th overall) - LB
  • Round 4, Pick 36 (136th overall) - DE
#31 Jaire Alexander - CB
#43 Hayden Hurst - TE
#63 Martinas Rankin - OT
#95 Josey Jewell - LB
#136 - Kyle Lauletta - QB

If you’re suggesting a trade out of the first round to accumulate an extra pick in both the second and the third, thus giving us 5/95 picks, I wouldn’t mind at all. I could easily see that.

For me, aside from the obvious “who’s available” st the end of round one, my biggest question would be whether or not another team would part with both their #2 and #3 in the same year.

I would not be shocked to see them trade #31 for a 2nd plus a 2019 pick. Stockpile picks to cash in on a QB a couple years from now.

Round 1 - QB. This is all predicated on Lamar Jackson being available at the 31st pick, which is possible but unlikely. I think this draft has four good QBs: Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, and Jackson. The first three are likely gone in the top-5 to 10 picks.

Round 2A - EDGE. Josh Sweat is my pick here. Like with Rivers last year, an ultra-athletic pass rusher with the traits to be a star. Also the floor to be Barkevious Mingo but you swing for the fences.

Round 2B - TE. Hayden Hurst is my pick here. Overaged but ready for the NFL from day one.

Round 3 - WR. J'Mon Moore is my guy here. Wideout isn't necessarily a need but there's a ton of value in the mid-rounds at the position and I think Moore has the traits to be something special.

Round 4 - LB/S. Shaquem Griffin replaces Jordan Richards as a special teams and Chung understudy. Bye bye Jordan

Players I really like:

Maurice Hurst, DT
Lamar Jackson, QB
Harold Landry, EDGE
Carlton Davis, CB
DJ Moore, WR
Josh Sweat, EDGE
Rasheem Green, DL
Fred Warner, LB
Darius Leonard, LB
Leighton Vander Esch, LB
Mike McGlinchey, OT
Isaiah Wynn, OL
Ronald Jones, RB
Isaiah Oliver, CB
Hayden Hurst, TE
Jaire Alexander, CB
Jessie Bates, S
Jamarco Jones, OT
Marcus Davenport, EDGE
Michael Gallup, WR
J'Mon Moore, WR
Orlando Brown, OT
Frank Ragnow, OL
Brian O'Neill, OT
Kemoko Turay, EDGE (Rutgers)
Josey Jewell, LB
MJ Stewart, CB/S
Kyzir White, S
Nathan Shepherd, DL
Mark Walton, RB
Damon Webb, S
Levi Wallace, CB
Isaac Yiadom, CB
Royce Freeman, RB
Chase Edmonds, RB
Dylan Cantrell, WR
Kylie Fitts, EDGE
Oren Burks, LB/S
Andrew Motuapaka, LB
DJ Chark, WR

Last edited:
Round 1 - QB. This is all predicated on Lamar Jackson being available at the 31st pick, which is possible but unlikely. I think this draft has four good QBs: Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, and Jackson. The first three are likely gone in the top-5 to 10 picks.

Round 2A - EDGE. Josh Sweat is my pick here. Like with Rivers last year, an ultra-athletic pass rusher with the traits to be a star. Also the floor to be Barkevious Mingo but you swing for the fences.

Round 2B - TE. Hayden Hurst is my pick here. Overaged but ready for the NFL from day one.

Round 3 - WR. J'Mon Moore is my guy here. Wideout isn't necessarily a need but there's a ton of value in the mid-rounds at the position and I think Moore has the traits to be something special.

Round 4 - LB/S. Shaquem Griffin replaces Jordan Richards as a special teams and Chung understudy. Bye bye Jordan

Players I really like:

Maurice Hurst, DT
Lamar Jackson, QB
Harold Landry, EDGE
Carlton Davis, CB
DJ Moore, WR
Josh Sweat, EDGE
Rasheem Green, DL
Fred Warner, LB
Darius Leonard, LB
Leighton Vander Esch, LB
Mike McGlinchey, OT
Isaiah Wynn, OL
Ronald Jones, RB
Isaiah Oliver, CB
Hayden Hurst, TE
Jaire Alexander, CB
Jessie Bates, S
Jamarco Jones, OT
Marcus Davenport, EDGE
Michael Gallup, WR
J'Mon Moore, WR
Orlando Brown, OT
Frank Ragnow, OL
Brian O'Neill, OT
Kemoko Turay, EDGE (Rutgers)
Josey Jewell, LB
MJ Stewart, CB/S
Kyzir White, S
Nathan Shepherd, DL
Mark Walton, RB
Damon Webb, S
Levi Wallace, CB
Isaac Yiadom, CB
Royce Freeman, RB
Chase Edmonds, RB
Dylan Cantrell, WR
Kylie Fitts, EDGE
Oren Burks, LB/S
Andrew Motuapaka, LB
DJ Chark, WR
In that order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back