PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fill 5 Needs With First 5 Draft Picks - No Trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tackle first round, LB second, QB third pick whenever it is.

31 Hubbard DE
43 Hurst DT
63 Crosby OT
95 Gisiki TE
136 Laulette QB

I'd be surprised if Hurst is available at 31, let alone 43. He's Gerald McCoy. If he does fall because of that heart condition and the Patriots don't snap him at 31, I'd be disappointed. Would be fun to have another Maurice Hurst.

Hell, I'd be ecstatic if the Patriots picked Hursts back to back at 31 and 43. (The other being Hayden, the USC tight end.)

31 Hubbard DE
43 Hurst DT
63 Crosby OT
95 Gisiki TE
136 Laulette QB

I'll play Cousin. Hand me the dice:

1st
#31 Tavin Bryan DT/DE

Bill likes interior lineman on Defense who can penetrate. Brown Shelton and Valentine are line pluggers.(Compares to Jared Allen....we hope. TE type speed and agility)

2nd
#43 Vander Esch OLB

Speed and coverage at LB and we have "0" of those players on our roster. (Compares to Sean Lee of Cowboys only bigger and faster. One real year of competition and a few injuries are overwhelmed by his potential talents. Might be gone before #43)

#63 Martinas Rankin OT

Might be the best pure LT in the Draft (compares to......get this...Tony Garcia. All SEC Left Tackle and that says a lot. Might be ready to start with a whole bunch of personal attention. Get Matt Light to the practices to guide him with Scar)

3rd
#95 Josey Jewell ILB

We need at least two LB additions on our roster. Tackling machine who is not a coverage liability like Roberts. Also a BB "fav" Iowa kid.(Compares to former 49er Chris Borland type before he worried about CTE and retired. Bruschi type toughness)

4th
#136 Lauletta QB (Compares to....who knows...maybe Andy Dalton?)

Why not!

Think we get a TE like Bennett to resign.
DW Toys

The more tape I watch, the more I like qb Logan Woodside in our offense.

Cb - Hughes
Rb - Guice
OT - crosby
Dt - Thornton
Qb - Woodside

If Bill likes Vander Esch, I would think that he would be the pick at 31. I hope that we do re-sign Bennett. otherwise, Bill is very likely to use a pick in the first 50 on a TE (as he should).

1st
#31 Tavin Bryan DT/DE

Bill likes interior lineman on Defense who can penetrate. Brown Shelton and Valentine are line pluggers.(Compares to Jared Allen....we hope. TE type speed and agility)

2nd
#43 Vander Esch OLB

Speed and coverage at LB and we have "0" of those players on our roster. (Compares to Sean Lee of Cowboys only bigger and faster. One real year of competition and a few injuries are overwhelmed by his potential talents. Might be gone before #43)

#63 Martinas Rankin OT

Might be the best pure LT in the Draft (compares to......get this...Tony Garcia. All SEC Left Tackle and that says a lot. Might be ready to start with a whole bunch of personal attention. Get Matt Light to the practices to guide him with Scar)

3rd
#95 Josey Jewell ILB

We need at least two LB additions on our roster. Tackling machine who is not a coverage liability like Roberts. Also a BB "fav" Iowa kid.(Compares to former 49er Chris Borland type before he worried about CTE and retired. Bruschi type toughness)

4th

Why not!

DW Toys

Yes. He's one of the best single-high safety in the NFL. I'd have to dig to find the stats again, but when he's in deep coverage, teams haven't thrown at him much in the past three years. He's allowed one catch in deep coverage while racking up 14 passes defended and 8 interceptions over that time span.

Chung and McCourty do more on defense, which is why they play more, but if we're looking for a pure cover guy / ball hawk on the back end, he's absolutely incredible.
ya, I suspected it might be one of those cases where if you don't hear much about a guy, it's cuz he's doing his job well. thanks for that!

Color me shocked if Bill doesn't draft a TE in the first 4 rounds.

They've only drafted 2 (Lee Smith, AJ Derby) since 2010.

They've only drafted 2 (Lee Smith, AJ Derby) since 2010.
I’m assuming that his suggestion is based more on the current situation, rather than the past history.

Yes. He's one of the best single-high safety in the NFL. I'd have to dig to find the stats again, but when he's in deep coverage, teams haven't thrown at him much in the past three years. He's allowed one catch in deep coverage while racking up 14 passes defended and 8 interceptions over that time span.

Chung and McCourty do more on defense, which is why they play more, but if we're looking for a pure cover guy / ball hawk on the back end, he's absolutely incredible.

I'd be welling to bet that at least 7 of those interceptions involved some kind of an acrobatic move. haha.. He never seems to get the easy picks. It's always flipping over some dude or twisting around the receiver.

Im surprised more people aren't bringing up the possibility of BB trading a 2019 Draft pick(s) say something like a 3rd ( or maybe even 2nd), and 6th, for the possibility to move back up into the 3rd and draft a QB like Kyle Lauletta. Seeing TB's Age, and the almost certainty that the next QB we take will be his heir, I don't see the down side of trading future picks to get him in the program now. If they feel they have a guy, then it totally makes sense to me.

1st
#31 Tavin Bryan DT/DE

2nd
#43 Vander Esch OLB

#63 Martinas Rankin OT

3rd
#95 Josey Jewell ILB

4th

Why not!

DW Toys
Vander Esch with 43rd pick would be a huge steal. He's one of ma favourite players in the draft and I doubt he lasts till round 2. But if that happens I would be very satisfied.
No one has mentioned a Safety position in the draft. If BB does not adress a safety in FA I bet he will take one in the draft.

Last edited:
Hard to project positions and picks without knowing the best player available at the time, but I think almost any position besides IOL and WR could be argued this year.

We either have holes to fill in ‘18 or ‘19 at OT, TE, QB, RB, LB, DE, S, and CB. Take your pick. :)

Im surprised more people aren't bringing up the possibility of BB trading a 2019 Draft pick(s) say something like a 3rd ( or maybe even 2nd), and 6th, for the possibility to move back up into the 3rd and draft a QB like Kyle Lauletta. Seeing TB's Age, and the almost certainty that the next QB we take will be his heir, I don't see the down side of trading future picks to get him in the program now. If they feel they have a guy, then it totally makes sense to me.
Well, we’re already down our 3rd round pick for 2019 from the Danny Shelton trade, but I get where you’re coming from. I think most of us expect a late 3rd comp pick from Butler leaving as something of a replacement, but we won’t officially find out the specifics for almost another calendar year.

Another possibility is that we trade out of the first round this year and have more ammo in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, so that scenario could fit, too.

So, because BB gets his kicks from effing with everybody, here's how it will probably go ...

#31 - TE
#43 - safety (3rd time's the charm ... right, captain?)
#63 - QB
#95 - DE
#136 - OT
#210 - QB
#219 - RB
UDFA - LB, CB/PR, RB/PR, WR/PR

Well, we’re already down our 3rd round pick for 2019 from the Danny Shelton trade, but I get where you’re coming from. I think most of us expect a late 3rd comp pick from Butler leaving as something of a replacement, but we won’t officially find out the specifics for almost another calendar year.

Another possibility is that we trade out of the first round this year and have more ammo in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, so that scenario could fit, too.

You’re right. I didn’t think all that much about details when I spoke. However, you know what I’m getting at, which is cool.

It’s worth noting, that early reports have next years QB class being essentially much worse. That’s something else to consider, not only would we get our QB of the future sooner then later, but it might come at the same value as something like a 2nd round pick next year, making it worth considering trading as high as that.
Maybe our 2019 2nd, and a swap of our 3rd or 4th could get it done with the team we trade with.

Lol
Well never know till draft day though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back